Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Comfort Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Quality of Ocean Alexander

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by dwharper12, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dwharper12

dwharper12 New Member

I currently own a 40 foot Tiara and have always been impressed with their build quality. I am looking at a 2007 O.A. 52 Express and it appears that items such as the gel coat finish aren't up to the same quality. I am looking to keep this yacht for 10 years and want to make sure that I am not investing in something that won't last and would appreciate any comments.
    Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Are you looking at the one in particular which is for sale in Alameda? IIRC there is a 52' out there which I have been on a time or two.
  3. dwharper12

dwharper12 New Member

Alameda

Yes that is the one.
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

She is quite nice.

I do not know about OA in granular detail as others do (which I'm hoping to read their input).
  5. winesk

winesk New Member

I have a 1993 52 ft Pilothouse which has been moored outside in Vancouver since new. I don't know about their gelcoat today but mine has stood up exceptionally well. I believe OA still builds a quality product although I suspect some of their early boats built in China (under a different name) may not have been quite as good.
  6. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

We were recently contracted to supply a C&V Survey on a new (never sold, old stock) 2006 advertised length 46. Here is what we found regarding bilge pumps:
    "DEWATERING ASSETS: 12V DC automatic pumps are fitted forward, amidship and aft in each watertight hull compartment. Pumps are discharged into a common manifold carried aft.
    Each pump has a bronze, domestic plumbing type one-way check valve incorporated into the discharge line, purpose of which is believed to be to prevent one pump from back feeding into another pump in the manifold system.
    The use of check valves is disallowed by ABYC in most installations (with the one exception of preventing cycling of an automatic pump from it’s own discharge backflow – Rule 22.8.9) and common sense dictates that such devices present a weak point in the most important safety asset of any vessel, by creating blockage in a pump’s discharge line in case of a valve malfunction. ABYC Rule 22.8.8 states: “A check valve shall not be used in a discharge manifold system.” This Rule also states that simultaneous operation of all pumps in a manifold system must not diminish the pumping capacity of the pumps. While the latter may not be an issue (judging by the diameter of the discharge manifold), the vessel’s bilgepumping system must be inspected by a qualified technician and reconfigured to compliance with all pertinent ABYC Rules & Regulations (and common sense safety considerations)."

Aside from this, after surveying several dozens of these boats it would appear that they are strong and well built boats.
    The one way valves in bilgepumping assets is a no-brainer safety issue that is not hard to understand, and I have no idea why an otherwise intelligent and good builder would not see the reasoning...