Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

hinged mast on 423 Classico

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by amostad, Jan 23, 2011.

1. amostad

amostad New Member

I am considering buying a 423 Classico with a hinged mast. My boat house requires that I drop the mast due to height limits. Does anyone have photos or drawings on how one actually drops the mast. Is it too heavy with the radar for one person to lower by hand assuming you had a rod mounted part way up the mast that can pivot as you lower it? Thanks for the ideas.
  2. geologydave

geologydave New Member

I realize that this is an old question but thought I would respond with my experience. Standing on the flybridge I used a .5" line tied to the radar mount and lowered it that way by myself to some timber blocks I stacked on the lazerette to rest the mast in a horizontal position. My radar is an open array furuno. I was not easy but not impossible. I would suggest that you might want to be at least 200lbs and have somewhat above average upper body strength.

Like all things on this planet, it is a bit more difficult going down than up. I suggest it is a two man operation, to be on the safe side. Probably using a ratchet winch of some type would be the smart way to do it alone.

Regards
  3. amostad

amostad New Member

Thanks, Geologydave. I found the solution. I used two 125 pound gas pistions like you would see on a stationwagon back window. I can now raise or lower the mast with one arm. I just had to add mounting plates and backing on the mast sections to mount the pistons to. If you care to contact me, I can provide photos of the finished project. amostad mostad@mostad.com
  4. geologydave

geologydave New Member

I would love to see a photo. Much more elegant solution than my caveman approach. can you post the photo here?

regards
  5. amostad

amostad New Member

photo of gas piston for mast

Here are photos of my 125# stainless steel gas piston. These allow me to raise and lower the mast with one hand on my Ocean Alexander Classico 423.
    You are more than welcome to use this plan. Remember, there is a 1/4 inch aluminum backing plate behind each stainless outside plate. IF you would like more photos please contact me at the email address in the February posting.
    amostad
  6. amostad

amostad New Member

second attempt at posting the photo

This is my second attempt at posting a photo os the mast lowering pistons mentioned above.

Attached Files:

7. Safeguard

Safeguard New Member

Do you still have Classico o.c.?
    I am having to replace and repair windows on my 2003 o.c. Classico and it looks like cause is manufacturing design problem?
    Thanks
    Carolina Girl
    Wrightsville Beach, n.c.
  8. Clamdigger

Clamdigger New Member

Dear Amostad,

I saw your solution on Yacht Forum. It is absolute genius in its simplicity! Congratulations. Would you be able to send a copy of the plans and name of the provider of the brackets and pistons? I would be most grateful.

Once again my congratulations on your solution.
  9. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Hey, Clamdigger -- Welcome to YF!

Don't hold your breath while waiting for amostad to reply to you. He hasn't logged in to YF since October 20, 2013.

You can "Start a Conversation" with him and hope that he receives email notifications when someone tries to start a conversation with him. (To start a conversation with him click on his member name in post #6; then click on "Start a Conversation;" then type your message; then click on "Start a Conversation" below the message.) Do you feel lucky?:D