Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

2001 Ocean Alexander Mark 1

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by TANGAROA, Mar 1, 2010.

1. TANGAROA

TANGAROA New Member

Im am looking to buy this boat its in Seattle.
    I am hoping someone could give me some opinions on this model
    hours 450 TWIN 5.9 Cummins, fly bridge.
    Thanks
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

All the Ocean Alexanders I've been aboard have been well built. Twin 5.9 Cummins is a good power pack, although 450hp is pushing the top of it's performance range, and I'd be willing to bet that it is a limited duty rating, probably 20% or less. Your manual will tell you. In general an OA would be on my list of boats to buy for what they do, but as with every boat, you have to evaluate each ones individual condition.

The Navigator brand of boats suit a similar mission profile and I found them to be pretty good boats and a fair value on the market.
  3. TANGAROA

TANGAROA New Member

Thanks for the info Henning.
    Has anyone seen a modle like this I can not find one other than the one I will give this link to .
    Trying to get a price comparison.
    Opinions welcome

hebertyachts dot com

Check out there feature boat 2001 OA Mark 1

Any thoughts on the price
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Yeah, I think the price is about $150,000 too high for this market, probably even a bit more. The boat has very low hours for a near 10 year old boat. This has good and bad points. The bad is that the boat sat there a lot and there's not much worse on a machine, especially in a marine environment, than sitting. Machines need to run and work, and a boat is a pretty complex machine with a lot of systems to exercise. The good is that the interior shows very little wear and tear in the pictures.
  5. TANGAROA

TANGAROA New Member

You think 150k to much, wow.
    I agree with the sitting idle.
    You figure arounf 280k for this boat?
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

I would consider OA to be significantly higher on the food chain than a Navigator. OA's are an Ed Monk design, far superior to the Marshall design IMHO. Ocean Alexander's are also heavier, and built with heavier duty methods and components like stringers, fuel tanks, rudders, struts, etc. Not knocking Navigator. They are very popular here, with interiors that satisfy the wives. And they are considered a lot of boat for the money. Typically they are less expensive than an OA. I just know which one I'd pick to be on in some weather.
  7. TANGAROA

TANGAROA New Member

Yes an OA seems much beter put together than the Navigators.
    I have compared the Nordic and American Tug to this OA mark 1 and feel its comparable in quality and price.
    Yet no other Mark 1 is listed forsale so I am looking for some thoughts lom a 385k price tag.
    Thanks to all
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

Yeah... unfortunately there are not enough of them around to get a comp. Your best bet is to do what it appears you are already doing. That is compare to the broader market of similar builds.
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I don't disagree with you about the construction of an OA vs Navigator, the question turns into one of "how much is enough" and the efficiency that overbuilding costs. I spent 6 months on a Navigator 4800 and did a delivery on a 56' er, and that delivery some some pretty serious weather which the boat handled just fine. It never gave any indication of being at risk even when the winds cranked up and seas were getting >15'.
  10. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Yep, in this market that's about what it's worth. Also budget $100,000 to take care of the things that fail in the first two years due to lack of use. I'd have an engine survey done on all engines, mains and aux, that includes bore scoping the cylinders. It's a bit expensive, but can save you from a jackpot.
  11. TANGAROA

TANGAROA New Member

I dont think 280 k will take her.
    Any ways good food for thought.
    Thanks