Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

Considering a new Ocean Alexander 80ft - Any comments?

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by energy11, Feb 13, 2010.

1. energy11

energy11 New Member

Considering purchasing a new 80ft OA for family fun.

I have never been in boating before and will be hiring a help to assist in the operation of the yacht. My wife is wheel chair bound and we will have an elevator installed to serve all three levels.

Any comments
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

OA is a fine choice, and a very well built boat, however your question is a slightly loaded / wide open one without a better understanding of your desired use of the boat, as well general location / cruising grounds.

Are you looking for a long range cruiser, local / shore based cruiser, warm water, cold water, marina / dock queen? Are you looking to spend weekends on her, weeks, or even months aboard? etc. etc.
  3. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

If you haven't already, I respectfully advise that you talk to OA about the feasibility of an elevator being fitted in the boat before falling too much in love with the project. Engineering an elevator to travel between three levels on the OA 80' will require considerable re-working to the interior layout, and almost certainly the structure. I'm not saying its impossible, but it will become the one requirement around which the three deck layouts will have to be re-worked, whilst still keeping the throughfares and social areas practical and comfortable.
    The 80' comes in two styles, each with different layouts....looking at the layouts on the OA website, IMO the elevator could start off in the aft, starboard corner of the mid lower cabin, which would mean swapping the lower mid cabin en-suite and wardrobe side to side. Again, IMO it will have to pass up through what is either the galley/dayhead area or galley/aft saloon seating area (depending on which 80' model) in order that it comes up into the flybridge deck, starboard side aft of the helm area. This looks like the best route. Elevators on smaller yachts tend to have the doors on one face only, which further limits the position of the shaft.
    Depending on the elevator design, it may require a deep well below the lower mid cabin sole, and also considerable void height above the flybridge headroom, possibly requiring a taller profiled, more bulky hard top.
    I don't know how flexible OA are with their builds, but the final layout, sourcing of suitable elevator and engineering etc are something only they can fully advise you on. I hope they can accommodate your requirements, and wish you and your wife all the best with your adventure:)
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Would a lift chair be feasable for your situation or possibly elevator to one level and lift chair to the other? It might solve some design problems.
  5. energy11

energy11 New Member

I am considering all options. OA is studying all options possible.

Thanks for your comments
  6. Henning

Henning Senior Member

OA definitely makes a good boat, with an 80, putting in an elevator may prove tricky without doing a custom interior lay out, but good luck with it, I hope it works out for you.
  7. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

I have had my 60ft OA since it was built for me in 2001. The boat has great atributes thanks to Ed Mork. My, and other know owners, have had tremendous frustration in getting OA to respond to obvious quality controll issues. Some of these issues are serious and just dismissed with stalling issues by OA as if they will go away. If you are buying an OA to hold more that 2 years before you trade up than you need to become aware of their common problems. Please email me if you would like to learn more. There is a boat on my dock with a system for a wheel chair. I could lead you to info on that as well.
    Steve
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Honestly, you're the first person I've ever heard of with such an issue of quality and OA responding appropriately to it. I'm not an authority on them, but I do know probably a dozen owners, and in my travels have never heard of an unhappy one.

Could you be more specific on the issues you're having with your boat?
  9. Rascal

Rascal New Member

I am considering an OA 58 and would also like to be aware ofthe issues you have experienced.
  10. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Ocean Alexander after you buy the boat

Having bought a new OA and taking delivery in 2002, it has been nothing but a battle to get them to deal with multiple problems. There is a number of other owners I've been in contact with that have had the same issues of OA refusing to deal with their reacuring issues. I have spoken with multiple past employees whom also find it hard to believe how OA refuses to deal with obvious issues.

One example is illustrated in picutes I would be happy to send to anyone considering. The pictures show the results of ONE sanding of the teak decks in the begining of the 3rd year. Obviously inferior planks were used and back filled with cauking only 1/16 inch below the surface. Their response on all issues is to stall, bs, and deny what they are looking at. They have developed a bad reputation and deserve it.
    They will tell you of the buyers who trade up within their boats as something to be proud of. Had they held their boat for more than 2 years they might have a different opinion of OA. Buyer beware!!! For the full story contact me.
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dear Mohawk,

I'm beginning to think your screen name is because you want to scalp OA. Starting new threads with 'mad' emoticons will do little to help or remedy the situation. Without substantiating your claims, your post carries little weight. A picture is worth a thousand words.

BTW... I have merged your post with the existing thread on the subject. Please refrain from opening new threads on the same subject.
  12. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

To Yachtforums

I joined this forum not expecting to bettering of my situation. I' ve givin up on that. The pictures are to big of a file to post on your site.
    As a current owner it is not in my interest to scalp or show my disatisfaction with OA. However these forums are to help others become better consumers. I was helped with my engines due to chat on a forum.

I would love to brag about the wonderfull atributes of the OA boat. Ed Monk's design, the thick hulls, the incredable performance with over 3,000 hours in the Atlantic, etc.

It is the service and response to issues that I write about.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Simply use a photo editing program to reduce the file sizes. Keep them under 640 pixels in width.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With a 2002 boat you shouldn't expect thick teak. It's barely more than a vaneer on most boats built today. Personally, I can't imagine why a 'sanding' would be needed after only 3 years. Cleaning sure; brass wool maybe, but not sanding.
  15. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Give me your email and I'll send you pics. If this is what a light sanding does, than why did OA just tell me a light sanding each year keeps the decks last longer? No one expects vaneer decking at that optional price.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Someone gave you bad advice. When you sand you take away wood. First off is the pours that hold your oil. In Florida you probably need to oil it monthly, and once a year or so clean it with chemicals (depending on use). If it gets to a point where that doesn't work use brass wool to get into the pours. I once watched a guy using a power sander on an older Post's cockpit cap rail. After that oil only stayed on for about a week. There's a couple of good threads here on caring for teak. Check them out.
    In the old days teak would be 3/8" to 1/2". You won't find that today with the price of teak unless the owner has money to burn. That also may be the source of your problems with OA, unrealistic expectations combined with a person that didn't know how to communicate with you properly, because they're a pretty good company from what I've heard.
  17. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

A thousand words

see attached

Attached Files:

18. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

more pics 1/16 down

Lots of dismay my seasoned yatchsman onboard

Attached Files:

19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How thick is the Teak on your boat?

I have seen light caulking deposits on teak exactly like your first photo after a first light sand on a new deck ( not sure how thick those in your photo are), they soon disappear when the sanding takes another cut off the top.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The caulk overrun looks like it was sanded below the level of the caulk. A little brass wool will take that off, but it will come back over. The cracks are another thing. It looks like it's been sanded through the wood. In the second pic I can't see any pours at all. It looks like you'll be replacing. Check those other threads. I believe someone quoted some prices if I remember right. Pour a stiff drink before you read them though. BTW, that looks like about the same thickness we had on the 50 Viking SC. Nothing like what you'll find on boats from the 50's. That's our disposable society. It only needs to look good through the sale.