Click for Ferretti
Click for Burger
Click for Cheoy Lee
Click for MCC
Click for Horizon
Click for Dockwise
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Motor Yachts > Ocean Alexander Yacht > Considering a new Ocean Alexander 80ft - Any comments?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Considering a new Ocean Alexander 80ft - Any comments?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #31 (permalink)

thickness

The messurments are after my sanding. Since we all agree the decks may have been thin back then, then what did I start with. Probably 3/4 inch.
To be clear, I watched the sanding, and the black just started growing in some places. Little dust and take down. With much of the deck it just took the surface off nicely. But, throughout the boat super thin spots appeared, filled with black cauk and epoxy of some sort.
Much of the deck looks like the same decks on all the OA's in the P Beach show.
I just got numerous planks that are chiped, split and not solid just under the surface. The problem is the water getting under these bad boards. Trained or untrained eyes agree.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

Define "LIGHT" sanding as you stated earlier.
Machine? DA? Belt / Drum? Hand?
Paper? Grit?

Sorry, pictures are worth a 1000 words, and you didn't remove that much material with a "LIGHT" sanding as you claim. A light sanding wouldn't do that. You have some pretty aggressive paper taking a good amount of material off in a hurry. Plane and simple.

If you're claiming that's from a light sanding, sorry, that dog just doesn't hunt.
PropBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

sanding

Thanks for your thoughts. The sanding was belt, lightest grid, 1/16 inch take down, hardware not removed, you can see in the pictues the take down. Look close and let me know how much it looks like.

I don't have a dog in this fight""" just responding to posted question of the OA experience.

I appreciate any help, and hope my experience helps others when spending $$
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

Light sanding would be brass wool or 0000 grit on a block by hand. Belt sanders are aggressive. I'm currently in a home project stripping paint off my back deck. The wood had also gotten pretty grooved from a power washer a few years back. I started with a vibrating floor sander weighing probably 30 lbs. So-so results. I switched to a little 3x18 belt sander. It ripped the paint off and smoothed the deck with very little effort. A moments lapse in concentration and I could take off 1/4 inch of pressure treated in a blink. Now, I'm not a professional woodworker, just an old boater, but I was taught nothing more than brass wool on teak unless it's really bad.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk
Thanks for your thoughts. The sanding was belt, lightest grid, 1/16 inch take down, hardware not removed, you can see in the pictues the take down. Look close and let me know how much it looks like.

I don't have a dog in this fight""" just responding to posted question of the OA experience.

I appreciate any help, and hope my experience helps others when spending $$
Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting the issue with your teak decking, but taking 1/16th of an inch is pretty darn aggressive with a belt sander. If you took that much material down, then you weren't doing a "light" sanding.

At most, if sanding, you're looking to get maybe a 64th of an inch, or possibly a 32nd of an inch of material off. Anything more, and you've got some pretty serious cupping and warping which is an entirely different issue.

That being said, I see your side of it, and I see OA's side of it.
IMO, they didn't do anything wrong. Quality or installation of the material wasn't an issue as far as their concerned. Maintenance, cleaning and repair of it was. And they're defending that position.
PropBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #36 (permalink)

Maybe not 1/16

Note picture for thickness... not much sanding
Attached Images
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #37 (permalink)

The deck after sanding

These decks should (and per OA) be lightly sanded for maintanance annually. I did it once in year 3. As you can see there should be some life in these decks before you expect to hit backfill of epoxy and chauking. They look now after the sanding as nice and thick as their new boats with the exception of the thin areas scatered through out.
Attached Images
Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #38 (permalink)

recent experience

I was on a relatively new 70+- footer with the local diesel mechanic last week. opening the transom door I immediately saw how the door it hit some of the hardware that would soon damage the glass. I commented that it was a real design flaw and the mechanic agreed.
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote