Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

oceans alexander help needed

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by todd, Jan 25, 2009.

1. todd

todd Member

I`am considering an OA has my next boat,but as I`am in New Zealand and there are very few down hear,its very difficult to gian any information so i hope someone can help answer some questions
    1/ In the late 80`s-early90`s they made a sedan sport fisher,At what size did the three cabin layout become avalible ? Ive only seen it in a 51,was there a 46 or 48 three cabin
    2/ The boats I can afford are all made in the early 90`s ,how do they hold up at this age? Any history of problems such as osmosis or other inherant problems,One boat i have seen,the gel coat appears very flat,has anybody had any experiance restoring,cutting,polishing these boats at this age?
    3/How good are these boats in rough blue water ?(we have some very exposed coastline)
    4/one of the boats I`am looking at has detroits 671tbi`s .Whats the fuel useage like ?Has anyone repowered form 671tbi`s,?if so what to? and did you change gearbox`s
    Any help will be great
    Todd
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums from another NZer.

I don't know anything about this brand of boat but do know a bit about boats in general and engines in particular.

No matter what boat you buy it is going to cost a lot of money and it is worth spending a bit more to get a good thorough pre purchase survey done.

Osmosis can be detected by moisture in the glass and squishy sections. I would personally avoid one with the "pox" unless it is a very good boat at an exceptionally good price. Peeling and repairing takes a long time and costs a lot ( I helped a bloke do a 50' Ketch in Townsville in 1992).

The Detroits are good lumps if they are not at the max horsepower. They are cheap to fix and are generally very reliable albeit a bit noisy sometimes.

New Zealand coastal cruising can be as good or as bad as anywhere, the place to be the wariest of is the West Coast as there is very little to shelter behind once you are between harbours and they all have tricky entrances especially in heavy westerlies. If you are planning on venturing up to the Kings or elsewhere where heavy weather can come in quickly with a long run to shelter I would make sure that a couple of the bunk boards can quickly be used to cover broken windows.