Carver Yachts began its history in 1954 in a Milwaukee garage. Charlie Carter and George Verhagen began building mahogany runabouts. What started as a hobby soon turned into a business and the two fledgling boat builders began selling boats to friends. By combining the first three letters of their last names, the Carver Boat Corporation was born, and the Carver Yacht Group witnessed its humble beginnings. In 1956, the two entrepreneurs moved their growing business to Pulaski, Wisconsin, to take advantage of the area’s dedicated yacht building work force and boat transportation facilities.
In the 1970s, the switch was made to fiberglass hulls, with additional advances that included larger yacht designs and the introduction of the popular 32 Mariner. By the 1980s, Carver had expanded sales beyond the Great Lakes to truly become recognized in the luxury motor yacht market. In fact, the motor yacht became synonymous with the Carver brand in the early 1990s. In 1991, Carver was acquired by Genmar Holdings, Inc. The 1990s also witnessed the introduction of the frameless window system and the refinement of the upscale Voyager series. By the late 1990s, all Carver Yachts included no structural wood below the waterline, fiberglass stringers, and a seven-year limited warranty on hull and deck. In 2000, the largest Carver Yacht was introduced—the 57 Voyager Pilothouse. In 2003, the company acquired manufacturing facilities in Fano, Italy, to build its new line of Nuvari Yachts, partnering with the respected naval architecture firm Nuvolari-Lenard. The year also marked the debut of the Wisconsin-built Marquis Class.
The sizes of Carver yachts span from 41 feet to 65 feet long. Particular interest is paid to the electrical, mechanical, and structural implementation of components, in addition to user friendly information systems that meet rigid standards in the production of semi-custom yachts.