Click for Walker
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Lurssen
Click for Dockwise
Click for Bering
Click for Horizon
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Motor Yachts > Huckins Yacht > Huckins Yachts

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Huckins Yachts

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #91 (permalink)

Thanks again Chuck, this is a good little read about Frank Pembroke Huckins...

Frank Pembroke Huckins: Jacksonville's PT boat genius | jacksonville.com

my kinda guy
sailusvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRotorHead View Post
Seafarer -

Given your connection to her, you may already know that Si-Go is up for sale. She was just posted on Yacht world. After seeing a family friend's Huckins in person a few summer's ago, I became a big admirer of the builder. I especially like the lines of Si-Go - just gorgeous. I sincerely hope someone with the means (unlike me) and the passion for Huckins (like me!) will purchase her and undertake a complete restoration. If she stays in NE, I volunteer free help!

Charles
I spent about an hour on the phone with the listing broker today giving him information on the boat and correcting a couple of errors in the listing. Sent him a handful of photos and offered my time to him or any prospective buyer or real buyer to fill in any blanks about her. I'm absolutely biased about the matter, but I agree with you about her lines and think this particular Seafarer 64 may be one of the best looking designs Huckins had.

If I was in a position to rescue her I'd do it in a heartbeat, not just for sentiment but because she really is a great boat. That's just too much project for where I am in the current economy however.
Seafarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #93 (permalink)

It's a photo of a photo, but here's Si-Go in her prime years:
Attached Images
Old 02-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
My understanding is that the glass over wood started in the 60's, and that the majority of Huckins out there were launched with that construction. I assume you're looking at Hull #404 (found it in the Huckins Legacy book, published 1998), she was with the original owners then, and seemed to be well cared for.
Glass over wood started in the 1950s. Si-Go was one of the earliest to be glassed at the factory, but I don't know for sure which hull was the very first first.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #95 (permalink)

My hull #395 was built in 1968 and was glassed at the factory. Entire hull and house is factory glassed and interior of the hull is epoxy coated.
Ed Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #96 (permalink)

Here is "402" plying the Great Lakes.
Attached Images
RB480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #97 (permalink)

I wrote in Dec. I was thinking about Downwind, a 46' and have since been up to see her. She is shrink-wrapped and not easy to climb around, but I got a fairly good feel for her and have a 100 questions, of course. I also looked at a Huckins 40' in Ft. Walton Beach Fl. which I have passed on. I am going back to CT. when the boat is uncovered and I can see her under better conditions. All I have heard about her are positive comments, which is good.

I grew up on a 52' Oceanic built for my step-father in 1948. With a full time captain and winter steward she was a yacht well loved and cared for in a fashion I can't offer to any boat. But I was infected with the Huckins bug and as I head to 66 I figure its now or never. Bagarre is now in Calif. and has undergone major changes none of which I can see as positive. But she's someone else's boat now. At least she is still running.

Any information on Huckins is welcomed by me. I'll keep this forum posted.

George

Last edited by vikingsabre; 03-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: grammer
vikingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #98 (permalink)

Cindy Purcell, granddaughter of Frank Pembroke Huckins has recently embarked on a journey to visit every Huckins that survives.

The journal of this endeavor will be available on their Facebook page (where I read of it) and on HuckinsYacht.com

I'll be interested to follow.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #99 (permalink)

Seafarer or anyone else... Any information on A 50' Huckins Atlantic named Sea Wagon. She in in CT. I'm told she is in very good shape, though a but pricy.

Cindy and Buddy will be in Mystic at the end of July for the classic boat gathering.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #100 (permalink)

I think the 50 Atlantic is a very nice model. This one was built in 73 so she was epoxied and glassed from new, which means the bottom is more likely to be sound. If she still looks as good as the photos I would call her a good buy.
The 46 may be a good buy, although I prefer the styling as well as the good separation of the staterooms and the 2 salons on the Atlanti.
Condition is more important than purchase price in these boats. What did you not like about the boat in Ft Walton Beach?
Best,
Maldwin
maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #101 (permalink)

Maldwin,

Thanks for your thoughts on the two Huckins. I agree with you. The layout on the Atlantic is preferred for the staterooms, but the price on the 46' is very attractive and the stateroom layout is not awful. I also agree that the condition issue is paramount. We will see both boats at the end of the week.

As for Bucktide, the 40' Huckins in Ft. Walton - The boat had sunk, the current owner bought it and restored it very well at his own yard. Some changes done to the original design concerned me, such as the moving of the fuel tank to the starboard side rather than leaving it centered as original. I can't believe a full tank off center wouldn't damage the ability for the boat to run true and not list. There were a few other issues that bothered me. The main issue I will send you off line.
Best,
George
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #102 (permalink)

Another Atlantic worthy of consideration is the 53 Atlantic, built as SPINDLE, which is at the Huckins yard. She had a very good 20 yr owner, and is in very good shape.
Best,
Maldwin
Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #103 (permalink)

She is indeed a beauty! However you are leading me in the wrong direction price and size wise!

Best,
George
Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #104 (permalink)

I will be interested in hearing your thoughts after seeing the two boats next week. I prefer the Atlantic layout, but the 46 is much easier to single hand, and may be a better buy.
Best,
Maldwin
Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #105 (permalink)

Any news?
sailusvi is offline   Reply With Quote