Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for MotorCheck

Considering Possible Huckins Purchase

Discussion in 'Huckins Yacht' started by PacificIsles, Sep 1, 2014.

1. PacificIsles

PacificIsles New Member

Hi, I am new to this site and would like some advice, if possible? I am considering going to look at a vessel that is advertised (and has been for a long time) on **************
    1953 Huckins Fairform Flyer Power Boat For Sale - www.**************
    It is advertised as a 64' 1953 Fairform Flyer. It is extremely cheap, disturbingly so possibly. However I am always attracted to vessels in very original condition and this seems to be so in her case. I have refitted several vessels before and am not afraid of engines, electrics, cosmetics etc, but do not want to get into a major planking and/or frames rebuild.
    Does anyone have any knowledge of this vessel before I go an look at her?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF. This is the kind of thing that really demands a personal visit. I have little doubt that she's a money pit, especially after reading: "She's a bit let down these days but still strong. Her outstanding virtue is that she is largely original and has never been subject to changes and "modernization"." The question to be answered is whether the work needed is within your bank account and tollerence. That's a real personal decision.

Being in Mystic, I wouldn't waste much time as there's bound to be some decisions being made by about October 15th (whether to winterize and haul or call the scrap man).
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Si-Go was once owned by the family of YF member Seafarer. Hopefully he will chime in on this. Another YF member Maldwin is our resident Huckins expert. He probably knows this boat.
  4. PacificIsles

PacificIsles New Member

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I understand that the current owner has had her (and had her in this state) for some years and has been lifting her in and out as weather demands and assume he will do so again, although I agree that from her general exterior state the time may soon come when he will no longer wish to go to the expense.

I have seen Seafarer's various photos of her and she obviously was a much loved and admired vessel and I'm sure many hope that she may be again.

Hopefully I will hear more from Maldwin and/or Seafarer.
  5. Wl3175

Wl3175 Member

She looks like she will need a tonne of work and a Lot of money to get her right . I have been involved in 3 huckins restorations .that boat will most definitely have bad wood and I'm guessing a lot of it . Saying that they are stunning boats and if you have the time and the money she will be a head turner

Wiring is most likely original which can be costly also not to mention engines ,plumbing etc
  6. vikingsabre

vikingsabre New Member

When I was in the Classic & Wooden Boat show at Mystic this summer aboard my Huckins 46 the former owner of that boat spoke to me. He claimed it was in good shape when he sold it. I have had two friends (one a classic boat yard owner) look at her and both think she should be saved. It will take a lot of money, but she is a classic and it appears most of her original gear is till aboard. I hope someone will save this boat!
  7. tbirds7

tbirds7 New Member

Iv'e noticed that Si-Go isn't listed for sale anymore.
    Does anyone have any current info on her or did she go to the bone yard?
    I hope not!