Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

SFMY meaning?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by biminijimini, May 21, 2011.

1. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

Is a" Convertible" considered these letters. I can not find any reference to a Convertible vessel
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Not familiar with SFMY... the "Convertible" term evolved from a combination of sportfisher and sedan.

Early production builders like Chris Craft, Egg Harbor, and others offered flybridge/cockpit models with or without the aft salon bulkhead.

Sportfish models had no aft bulkheads with minimal creature comforts in an open salon.

Sedan models had aft bulkheads with additional creature comforts in a fully enclosed salon.

Eventually builders like Hatteras began building all their boats with aft bulkheads and marketing them as "Convertible" ...sportfisher or sedan... determined by the way it's outfitted.
  3. FutureYachter

FutureYachter Member

I've always thought that SFMY means Sport Fish Motor Yacht which would mean a convertible would fit the definition.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

For me, convertible does not conjure up the image of a motor yacht. I think the popular term for that would be Yacht Fisher or Cockpit Motor Yacht... I've never run across the term SFMY.

By the way... if this about search criteria on Yachtworld, they've been tinkering with vessel types/categories. And whoever is doing the tinkering hasn't spent much time around boats.
  5. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

Actually looking for the correct abbreviation for a Hatteras Convertible more specific than m/v
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

Technically, Hatteras model code for convertible is the letter "C" ...but that may or may not help you because you have not made clear what it is you are trying to accomplish.

If you are looking for older Hatteras models try this:

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Models.htm
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No quite sure what a SFMY exactly is but I d guess it s more like a Yachtfish than a convertible

A yachtfish is a MY with an added cockpit... Ex a Hatt 58YF is exactly a 53MY plus a cockpit
  8. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

I'm trying to figure out the abbreviation for the purpose of placing the correct abbreviation in front of the boat's name on the back of a jackets; shirts; tees, etc.

The vessel is a 1983 50ft Hatteras Convertible.

So would the abbreviation "YF" or "Y/F" be correct? Or either??

thanks guys for helping, I really appreciate it.
  9. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

Or would it be Y/C ?
  10. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

Ok got it... its a 50C. thanks for all the help!