Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Burger

Reviews of different Hatteras yachts for live aboard?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by patch, Jan 24, 2011.

1. patch

patch New Member

My wife and I want to move into a good live aboard such as a Hatteras.
    Is there a book or web site that describes the different models. We want around a 55-65 ft with thrusters and good view or remote cockpit controls that will allow us to back into slips with ease. We are 69 years old and want to run the boat ourselves. We have had several boats from 68 ft down.
    We want a floating Condo" to live in 9 Months a year and don't plan to travel the world.

Any suggestions? Comnents?
    Thjanks
    Glenn
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

A practical book that gives information on various models from an extensive list of manufacturers is PowerBoat Guide by McKnew & Parker.

Some yachts that provide the most volume for live-aboard comfort in your size preference are: Cheoy Lee 55 lrc, Hatteras 58 lrc, Florida Bay Coaster 55. There are numerous other vessels in the "trawler" category that have full-time cruising and live-aboard in mind. Getting onboard for comparisons will be important; you might find that a Hatteras 58 motoryacht will suit your needs sufficiently.

Judy Waldman
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

While budgetary concerns were not mentioned, there are numerous Hatteras boats for sale here in South Florida for under $300K. I'd advise finding one with a "back porch" which is where you'll find that you spend most of your time while onboard.
  5. patch

patch New Member

Remote control

I was under the impression that the remote controls would not work on mechanical controls. I was told that you needed electronic engines, which most older Hatteras don't have.
    Thanks
    glenn
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Right you are. That's why I asked how new or old a boat he was looking for. For mechanical controls the best he can do IMO is a remote mechanical station.
  7. patch

patch New Member

Live aboard

Thanks for all of your replys.
    I will look at all the boats you mention.
    Our budget is around $500K for a drive away boat with all the options and repairs that are needed. We will keep the boat in the Bahamas and don't intend on traveling over seas.
    We want a floating condo with a "back porch" would prefer to have bow and stern thrusters, which I'm sure I will have to add the stern thruster since I have not seen an older Hatteras with them installed.
    Glenn
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are many Hatteras Options in your price range and some of them may have electronic controls. However you can add a cockpit/rear set of controls with both the older Teleflex (cable) controls as well as the Hynautic controls pretty easily. The 58' would suit your needs, as would a newer model. They are very very confortable live-aboards. There are other options as Judy has mentioned. A Viking Wide-body MY such as the 55' would suit your needs also. But being in the $500k range give you a lot of options up to about a 2000 model year right now with other manufacturers. I don't think a stern thruster is necessary, but a bow thruster is very helpful.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

hard to go wrong with a Hatt but i really wouldn't focus on controls and gadgets. it's really a non issue as you can easily retrofit them as needed.

having controls at the stern is helpful for when you need to back into a slip but a good stern camera can be almost as useful but if you really feel you need the stern controls, then upgrading the boat to electronic Morse is no big deal.

No idea why you'd want a stern thruster with a twin engined boat. While i can understand that a bow thruster can come in handy sometimes, i find that i can move the stern with a lot more precision using just the trannies. the slip i back in the most in just about 8" wider than the boat and i never find myself using the stern thruster, just the gears.

The 58 LRC is a great boat but since you dont' really intend on doing a lot of offshore cruising it's probably an overkill, so why pay the premium for the LRC? sure, their hulls/engine are a little more efficient but probably not worth it in your case.

two thing you should focus on (in addition to the full aft deck where you'll spend most of your time): Beam and cockpit

I have an early 53, with the original narrow beam. it's a great layout but having been/run some of the wider beam boats, i can tell you they give you ton of extra room. The 56MY for instance has the wider beam, it's a great boat.

considering your age, i would consider a cockpit motoryacht/yacht fish. It makes it a lot easier to get on and off the boat, especially if you're only somewhere for a short time and dont' want to deal with the heavy marquipt stairs. Also, since you will be spending time in the Bahamas, a cockpit makes much easier to get to the water and most importantly to get on/off the tender.

As much as i am partial to Hatts, dont' over look the Viking MYs. I recently delivered one to the bahamas (a 1990 63MY) and i have to say that i was impressed by the boat. the big aft deck and huge flybridge made up for the short stubby bow and the interior layout was pretty nice. It had some good wood work, espeically compared to the white wash wood found in early 90s hatts. the boat had 12V71s that were running very well allowing an 18kts cruise. on the down side, i'm not a huge fan of cored hulls below waterline but with the proper precaution i could live with it...

best place to start is to search yacht world.

but again, dont' focus on equipment and stern controls, they can be easily retrofitted. instead, focus on the wider beam models
  10. patch

patch New Member

Best Live a board

David
    Thanks for your comments.
    I went pardners with a friend on a 53 Hatteras. In a month, I gave him my half.
    I loved living on the boat, but hated backing into a slip. I could not see where I was at and didn't want to take it out on a day cruise because didn't know what the winds would be when I came back to the dock. I also didn't like the split deck. The galley was steps down, etc Loved the back porch and Large state rooms and didn't like the small engine room.
    I bought a Fleming and loved it except for the small space. I could put it it into any slip with bow and stern thrusters and in any weather. It had rear controls and was a joy to run.
    Due to the economy, I had to sell the Flemiings.
    At this point in my life, I want a roomy boat, that don't give me stress when I bring it back into the marina on a windy day.
    Are any of the Hatteras flat deck with a back porch?
    Thanks
    Glenn
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by "flat deck"

All these are called flush deck as the saloon, pilot house, side decks and act decks (back porch is used on land!!) are on the same level

Some of them are galley up, others are galley down

The 53 is easy to back into a slip since there are no partition and you can see aft from the lower helm. Again in any case the solution is to upgrde the controls and have a set act or, much cheaper, put a camera aft and an LCD at the helm
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why would you back into the slip with a 53' Hatteras? The power cords plug in near the bow, and the ladder attachments are near the bow at the wing doors. However, for the money you cannot beat a 53' Hatteras when it comes to size and build quality compared to anything else out there. It's also really cheap to hire a professional captain for the day a few days here or there.....or install aft controls.........when it comes to the big picture of buying a new Fleming you cannot afford. Most Hatteras have a galley up from 58' + .
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

power inlets are amidship actually, by the PH doors, so they dont' make a difference. I used to stern in (now i bow in so that we can launch the catboat/tender). it really depends on the dock set up, height , finger pier length, etc... Stern in for instance we can just step off from the aft deck on the dock. Bow in, i have to use teh marquipt stairs if the finger pier is long enough off.
  14. patch

patch New Member

Backing in with 53 Hatteras

My wife and I enjoy setting at the dock so we can see whats going on and talk to friends walking up and down the dock. Regardless where the power cords are located, we have backed all of the boats we have owned into the slip.
    That is the reason we like the different models that have a back porch.
  15. patch

patch New Member

Flat Deck

Flush deck is what I mean. Not sure about galley up or down. We like to entertain with cocktails etc and have couples over for dinner, so its important to have a large saloon.

Whats the most popular, galley up or down and whats the best entertaining model?
    Once we get it narrowed down, we will fly over to So Fla and look in person at the different models.
    Thanks
    Glenn
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

on the other hand bow in give you more privacy and often better views. all personal preference.

well, all Hatteras over 50' (or almost) all are flush decks. Aft deck, saloon, pilothouse, side decks and bow are on teh same level. No steps, no stairs and the aft deck is pretty much an extention of the saloon

galley up or down is also a matter or personal preference. On the smaller boats like the "classic" 53 (not the 53 ED), there isnt' enough room to have the galley up. Same with the 58YF which is basically a 53MY with a cockpit.

I don't mind the galley down but i can see how the galley up may be seen as a better option. is it more "popular"? probably

in addition to yacht world, which is a great way to research various models, look up Sam's Marine website. they are primary source for Hatteras parts but also have a pretty complete selection of original sales brochure which may be helpful in comparing various models.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All Hatteras 53's and 58' Yachtfish have a galley down as far as I know. Some 58' MY were galley up and some were galley down I believe. Everything larger then 58' has been galley up from what I've seen.

I know exactly where the power cords are on a Hatteras. I have run a hundred different Hatteras MY's. They are just aft of the wing doors. On the 53' they are sort of midships...... on any of the larger ones, the wing doors are definately much closer to the bow and you're not reaching an outlet at the stern of the boat if you back in with a 50' cord. But neither here nor there, visibility is fairly good backing in on the 53's if you are at the lower station and have the aft doors open, or if you look down through the flybridge door from the flybridge.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

probably comes down to wording... usually the wing doors are the doors between the side decks and the aft deck (for non EDs). shore connections are usually just aft of the pilothouse doors, not the wing doors. can't imagine not having 75' cords on the larger boats so it's really a non issue.
  19. patch

patch New Member

Beam on differend Hatteras

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm getting my options narrowed down.
    Two final questions.
    Someone mention wide beam was needed for a good live aboard. I agree and want as wide a beam as possible. Which models have the widest beam?

Second, I have a lot of friends who own Hatteras and they don't seem to have problems getting them fixed or to buy parts. What about a Viking or other brands Choy Lee etc?
    Thanks
    Glenn
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Viking used a lot of standard American parts and most everything is relatively easy to find. Cheoy Lee on the other hand is a little different and sometimes you are going to have to retrofit American (readily available) parts to the yacht. Hatteras has Sam's Hatteras parts which is a company that specializes in the vintage Hatteras parts and most can still be found new.