Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

How To Remove a Beached Sea Ray...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Aug 15, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Courtesy of YF member Viking58, here's how to properly dislodge a beached Sea Ray...

Attached Files:

2. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman New Member

Why on earth would they destroy that boat as opposed to freeing it up by some other means. Thats a shame, heck they probably could'a trenched out the beach with the back hoe and let the tide do the work. :D
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

:shakes head in amazement:
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

this took place in the bahamas, at the DEvils' backbone, late june early july

if you look closely, you will see that the boat is not only buried in the sand, it's also filled with sand and water, leaving really nothing to salvage. in one of the first pictures, it even looks like the stern is broken up on the starboard side.

a friend of mine was there when it happened, here are a couple more pictures. apparently, the owner/captain didn't want to pay a pilot from Spanish Wells to transit that tricky passage...

the second picture was taken while they were pumping the fuel out of the tanks.

this is a grim reminder that once a boat gets beached in the surf, it's really game over. the wave action will fill the boat and bury the hull deep in the sand.

Attached Files:

5. brunick

brunick Senior Member

thats very sad for the boat - but i think there's always a funny side on the pictures - just look at those people on page 7 lying on the beach having the action movie direct in front of their hotel *hrhrhr*
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Maybe he could grab the hydrolics.:rolleyes:
  8. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

I would hate to be the guy who has to glue that back together;)
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah there's a few old guys in New England who could do it in a bottle. LOL.:D
  10. Brian

Brian Senior Member

That's too bad.
    Hate to see a boat being broken up like that.
    Kind of reminds me of "The Who" smashing thier guitars at concerts...is nothing sacred??

This guy up here didn't have the sand to contend with and he was able to use the next high tide. Plus the terrain wouln't allow an excavator to get in there!

Attached Files:

11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

12. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Beached Sea Ray

Itz catching.
    Apparently, they let the little ones get away.:p
    Cheers!
    Eric

Attached Files:

13. ScottN

ScottN New Member

huge difference between a swamped boat full of sand and one that just goes high and dry...

My bet the boat was totalled for insurance purposes after just a few tide changes....
  14. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So true, but a picture is worth a thousand words. If seeing this gets just one weekend warrior thinking that having a captain on board (even to just look over his shoulder) may not be such a bad investment it's OK. I'm sure that guy has learned.
    For those who just think of boats as toys let's put it in prospective. Would you invest over a million dollars on say a piece of art and ship it across the country in the back of a kids hoopty? Insurred or not, IT'S A MILLION DOLLAR INVESTMENT. You can't spend every moment thinking of it as that and enjoy it. So, spend a few bucks and hire someone who will because it's his job.
  16. CAPTEDMECH

CAPTEDMECH New Member

Real Photo

LOL at this one... i actually had to register for this quote.
    Im almost sure im the ex boat mechanic of that bad boy... I remember getting the phone call immediately after it happened...but was never called back out to fix her again...lol It is a real photo and hopefully it was ;) insured;) cause i havent heard a thing since.
  17. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

Then again, what if the boat was purchased for 1.1M and insured for 1.5M, then how many tide changes to you think he waited before calling the insurance company? :rolleyes:

Sadly, it's not just boats that are worth more dead than alive...don't tell my wife! :D
  18. 84far

84far Senior Member

Tell you what, that would of been some great fun in the excavators. And better still, one less punter on the water you have to worry about ;).

Far
  19. Arendie

Arendie New Member

Question about Brian's picture in post #10:

I'm new at this stuff but I'm curious what type of damage that would do. Aren't these boats heavy enough that sitting on those rocks would damage the hull?

I also haven't figured out how to guage boat size based on pictures yet so that might as well be the queen mary to me. :eek:

I'm guessing something with an outdrive would fair better than a boat with shaft and rudder system?
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If it simply went down with the tide, didn't slide, wasn't resting on its running gear and the surface is smooth it could (theoretically) get away with little damage although that looks doubtful.
    She looks to be about a 40.
    The less (running gear) under the boat to less to damage, in theory. However the angle of attachment to the hull for an outdrive would IMHO make it less able to sustain the weight if resting on that as opposed to a rudder post. Most boats of this type have prop pockets which make it more likely that the weight may be absorbed by the keel or hull. Either way, not a good position to be in.