Click for Llebroc
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Cheoy Lee
Click for Horizon
Click for Nordlund
Click for Bering
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > From $2.00 gas to $5.00 gas in 4 years

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Closed Thread

From $2.00 gas to $5.00 gas in 4 years

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #271 (permalink)

Quote:
government owned oil companies and "deer in the headlights" or "as quick as molasses dripping down a wall in the winter" are both accurate descriptions of the decision making process in most of them. Be careful of what you wish for.
Slow as molasses would be wonderful since what happens so fast is the spinning of the dollar wheel on the pump. Let them slowly make the decision to raise prices. That would be nice for a change. Government owned oil companies could not be worse. The marginal in our society are already living on the street having lost their homes over the past year. Now it's the lower to mid middle class that are heading for the door. People are committing suicide and taking their entire families with them. K1W1, no need to apologize for getting political on this subject. This forum must be adamant about this subject because it affects us all directly. How many manufacturers have gone out of business or otherwise laid off it's workers this year. How many of you captains, deckhands and staff are now waiting tables if you can find even that. I just came up the ICW to find zero transients at several marinas that are usually packed. This forum reaches a lot of people. It can have an effect.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #272 (permalink)

I just realized that I was mistaken in post 266 when I said the price of regular was $2.39. That was the price I paid 2 weeks ago before I left for Florida. I filled up last night. It was $2.59. I'm also sending snail-mail to my representatives calling for nationalization of the oil companies.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #273 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
Let them slowly make the decision to raise prices. That would be nice for a change.
Since when have hogs at the trough done anything slowly?

Raising gas prices in nationalized petroleum companies would happen about as slowly as elected representatives vote themselves pay raises - virtually the only unanimously passed legislation without any debate.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #274 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer
Since when have hogs at the trough done anything slowly?

Raising gas prices in nationalized petroleum companies would happen about as slowly as elected representatives vote themselves pay raises - virtually the only unanimously passed legislation without any debate.
Obviously the current system isn't working. Anyone have another suggestion besides learn to like it.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #275 (permalink)
HMI

Quote:
Obviously the current system isn't working. Anyone have another suggestion besides learn to like it.
Pray to God for lower prices.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #276 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI
Pray to God for lower prices.
Yeah, let me know how that works out. Besides, he only helps those who help themselves.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #277 (permalink)
HMI

Quote:
Yeah, let me know how that works out. Besides, he only helps those who help themselves.
I really don't have any answers for you NYCAP123. Petroleum and it's byproducts are integrated into every aspect of our lives. Check out this article on fertilizer:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article472266.ece

The only real solution I see, and I'm no expert, is to change the way we produce and use energy. I'm not saying that we should all be riding bicycles. I'd be happy for instance with an electric car with a 100 mile range and a top speed of 70mph as a commuter car. I wouldn't mind some PV's on my roof to help out with peak consumption during hot days. Heck, I'd even take a bus if there was a route that would take me to work and back.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #278 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI
I really don't have any answers for you NYCAP123. Petroleum and it's byproducts are integrated into every aspect of our lives. Check out this article on fertilizer:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article472266.ece

The only real solution I see, and I'm no expert, is to change the way we produce and use energy. I'm not saying that we should all be riding bicycles. I'd be happy for instance with an electric car with a 100 mile range and a top speed of 70mph as a commuter car. I wouldn't mind some PV's on my roof to help out with peak consumption during hot days. Heck, I'd even take a bus if there was a route that would take me to work and back.
Unfortunately, everything you've suggested may possibly have an effect 10 years from now, but this is happening now. If nobody has a realistic or even somewhat plausible solution then please try this: Contact your representatives at every level of your government with e-mails, letters and phone calls and tell everyone you know to do it. Deluge them requesting that they call for the nationalization of the oil companies. At the very least it will send a message to the oil companies that trouble may be on the horizon. It could mean the difference between my paying $4.39 and $2.89 a gallon this summer. It may keep you from losing your job or home. It can't hurt unless you're a major stock holder in the oil companies. PLEASE! I personally know people who have lost their jobs and homes. I know people who are about to be there. You do too. We cannot do nothing.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #279 (permalink)
HMI

Quote:
Unfortunately, everything you've suggested may possibly have an effect 10 years from now, but this is happening now. If nobody has a realistic or even somewhat plausible solution then please try this: Contact your representatives at every level of your government with e-mails, letters and phone calls and tell everyone you know to do it. Deluge them requesting that they call for the nationalization of the oil companies. At the very least it will send a message to the oil companies that trouble may be on the horizon. It could mean the difference between my paying $4.39 and $2.89 a gallon this summer. It may keep you from losing your job or home. It can't hurt unless you're a major stock holder in the oil companies. PLEASE! I personally know people who have lost their jobs and homes. I know people who are about to be there. You do too. We cannot do nothing.

Actually when you think about it a large percentage of oil pumped out of US soil is from public lands. And we lease said land to the oil companies. Time perhaps for the D.O.E. to step in? Perhaps some stimulus dollars in the direction of public oil infrastructure?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #280 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI
Actually when you think about it a large percentage of oil pumped out of US soil is from public lands. And we lease said land to the oil companies. Time perhaps for the D.O.E. to step in? Perhaps some stimulus dollars in the direction of public oil infrastructure?
That's productive thinking. Have you suggested it to your representatives?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #281 (permalink)

Ever-Increasing Usage

August may be vacation time for many people, but our reliance on foreign oil didn't take any time off.

In August alone we imported 355 million barrels of oil and sent $25.2 billion overseas, the most spent on foreign oil out of any month this year.

We are digging ourselves deeper into a hole every day and our economy and security are suffering.

T Boone Pickens
Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #282 (permalink)

Ah, but isn't nice to see Hugo Chavez out and about spending your petro-dollars on new kit.

After he left the Venice film festivial with Mike Mann he flew to Russia to spend $2 billion on anti-aircraft bits, helicopters and submarines, with Putin very happy.

British Petrolium (BP) and British Gas (BG Group) have just found 2 new huge sites in the Mexican Gulf and Brazil. At least that will help pay for some of Bush's wars.

The 'Game' goes on.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #283 (permalink)

It was announced this week on the news that gas prices in the U.S. are expected to blow past $4.00 a gallon and straight to $5.00 by Memorial Day. As a result of that and the banks, I know of about a dozen boat owners who have either sold their boats at a loss or are just walking away. I know only one person planning to buy a boat in the under 50' range, and that's only if he can get a ridiculous deal. I am now charging a mileage fee to my clients, will not work more than 30 miles from my home and am raising my captain fees. Don't care if I work less. Why work just to pay for gas to get there. My plan for next winter is to close off portions of my home so as not to pay to heat them and I'm already using more wood for heat. I've put buying a new car (originally planned for this year) off for at least the next 2 years maybe more. As a retirement plan it's a consideration to have the state pay for my room, board and medical. Might even be fun getting there. I just hate feeling used and abused.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #284 (permalink)

Gasoline

Build more refineries that's the answer, the greens don't want them to and the oil co's are not protesting too loudly as it keeps the price up, also, go off world pricing and lets have real competition.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #285 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismc
Build more refineries that's the answer, the greens don't want them to and the oil co's are not protesting too loudly as it keeps the price up, also, go off world pricing and lets have real competition.
Building refineries does nothing short term, are not needed and is nothing but another excuse to hike the prices further (have to pay for the refineries). The solution is to not buy anything at all that is not absolutely needed; give nothing to charity, charge up credit cards and take loans then refuse to pay and drive the economy into total chaos. The low can only go down so far, the high have a long way to fall.
Closed Thread