Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

American Boatbuilder's World Competitiveness

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jan 3, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

..interesting editorial by the editor of European Boatbuilder

"I would suggest that Europe’s boatbuilders could be in real trouble just now if the Americans were on the money with their product design."

It has to be said that we in Europe owe a huge debt to the Americans. And no, I’m not talking about their contributions to the winning sides in two world wars or inventing rock n roll, to name but a few of the real biggies. No, we, and I am sure I speak on behalf of most of this continent’s boatbuilders — owe them a big ‘thank you’ just now for being so incredibly off the pace when it comes to developing international markets for their boats; or rather, I should say, not developing international boats for their markets.

Even the most successful US boatbuilders will be doing well if they export 10-15 per cent of their production and they are likely to be top export performers if they get international sales figures up much above the 25 per cent mark. Most, of course, don’t export at all. And, before anyone writes in, I apologies in advance to the exceptions; I know I’m generalizing.

No, even the very best US builders can’t compare with the best Europeans, which typically would export upwards of 75 per cent and have distribution networks that take in pretty much the whole planet.

Of course, the reason I’m chipping these broad-brush opinions in now is all down to the scary health of the US dollar. Indeed, I would suggest that Europe’s boatbuilders could be in real trouble just now if the Americans were on the money with their product design. But American boatbuilders almost without exception stick to the same tack. They try to sell abroad what sells at home; and it just doesn’t work as far as boats go. And we all know it doesn’t really work when it comes to cars either come to think of it.

With the US dollar in the doldrums — and a disturbing number of money-market analysts are suggesting it will get weaker before it gets stronger, and very possibly a lot weaker — it is fair to say that Europe’s boatbuilders can today, and very probably tomorrow too, thank their lucky stars (and stripes!) that the US boatbuilding industry has always been notoriously insular, not to say crazily neglectful, when it comes to markets beyond its own substantial boundaries. And there’s no evidence to suggest any real change.

They just don’t seem to have learned the lessons of the past.

When things are good, American builders seem to have more than enough on their plates gearing up and delivering to the home crowd. And every time there is a major slowdown in the US and/or when the US dollar is weak, we see the same cyclical response — a case of too little, too late. They tend to turn/return attentions to export territories — and obviously Europe is always a prime focus, because it has, outside North America, by far the largest boating communities — only when they have spare capacity, not as part of a global strategy.

Phil Draper, editor
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

When the USD was not so weak Brunswick ran around buying up a dozen overseas builders. So at least they are not guilty of completely ignoring the rest of the planet.

As for exports, I would think there could be a fat market for our fishy boats. The stuff offered for fishing in most other countries is not nearly so fancy as our rigs.

Kelly
  3. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

Kelly, In Northern europe we have a different approach to fishing. Fishing is mostly done on inner waters or at the beach.

Sea fishing is usually done on commercial trawlers or supply vessels which the shipping companies offer for the weekend to make some extra cash.
    You simply make a reservation and once the boat is fully booked you get a phonecall that you're good to go.

Another issue is that north sea fish for example is a lot smaller than maybe around Florida. We don't have sharks or marlins, so there's simply no point to use an american style sportfish. Since I only go sea fishing to gather with friends instead of catching fish.

I take my hooks of the line so there's no harm done to any fishes, in case you worry about me wounding fish:D
  4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

"Sea fishing is usually done on commercial trawlers or supply vessels which the shipping companies offer for the weekend to make some extra cash."

That is also popular here. One label for these is "party fishing". Only they are usually single focus operations, do not also perform commercial fishing.

I did not have just our big battle wagons in mind. We also have a big market for outboard powered open fishing boats. Boston Whaler, etc. A few of which are exported to Europe already. But I would think more could be done there, we have so many builders offering that type boat.

Kelly
  5. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member