Click for MotorCheck Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Cross

Need Some Advice; under 40'

Discussion in 'General Downeast Dayboat Discussion' started by oneday333, Oct 2, 2007.

1. oneday333

oneday333 New Member

Someone in my family is looking at begining their journey of owning a yacht. He has experiance with boats, and sailboats but he is now wishing to take it to the next level. He wants to start with something in the 40' range. However, he is specifically looking for a boat that has an "enclosed" cockpit so that when he drives and it is cold outside, he can just turn on the heat, since the area is enclosed. I have done some research, but most of what I find is the yachts about 60' and up. Anyone have any knowledge of such a boat?

-Just Beginning
  2. Highlander

Highlander New Member

There are many boats to choose from. My wife amd I cruise the Maine coast in a Little Harbor Whisperjet 40. It has a hard top with sliding windows on the sides and a flap door to the cockpit. On cold days just zipping up greatly improves comfort. If we were doing it over I would consider fixed glass and a door at the aft end of the bridge deck. A diesel heater would also be on the list. We have reverse cycle AC that heats but the generator must be running.
    At the Norwalk boat show I boarded an Island Pilot 43. Very impressed with the layout and equipment.
    After cruising 8 years with a jet drive boat I have a hard time thinking about going back to props but the Island Pilot has come the closest.
    The Hinckley boats are just too much useless expensive stuff that is for looks only.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

4. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Too easy to drool

I guess that I have an axe to grind with Hinckley.
    You see, they bought out Ted Hoods Little Harbor Yachts and then promptly killed the brand and the Whisperjet line. When it comes time to buy a new boat I had hoped that one of Teds Whisperjets could be on the list.
    Every time I am on my Whisperjet I have to say "man I love this boat"
    The drives and engines are the same as Hinckleys but the style and design are so clasic and functional. The style is true downeast. People come by in there dinghys just to look.
    People on Boats going by in the harbor say "your boat is my favorite in the whole harbor". That wasn't just one persons response either.
    The Hinckley jet boats have initial drool value but they also say "I can afford to own a boat that's designed to sit at the dock". Every part of that beautifull curvy boat will scratch and be damaged by normal use. Extreme tumblehome robs the cockpit of space and creates a maintainence headache.
    The boats are all painted and must be touched up every year. The big curvy toerail is also a varnish headache. The varnish on those boats can run 10 to 20K every year.
    I know because I keep my boat at Little Harbor, now Hinckley Yacht Services over the winter. All I can say is, I miss Ted Hood.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Highlander,

I don´t think this question is about what not to buy? Besides, I love the Hinckleys and with Awlgrip paint, I doubt you have to repaint every year.

There are worse boats on the market, but let´s talk about the good ones..:)
  6. oneday333

oneday333 New Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone! So Hinckley and Whisperjet I seem to be getting the feeling are the way to go. Are there any other boats that are a little more modern with an enclosed cockpit? The Hinckley's are very nice!! Just looking for a variety before I get too attached.

-Just Beginning
  7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

The Alden Express, Grand Banks Eastbay SX, and Sabreline Sedan are also fully enclosed (not open at the rear). And all feature an inside helm. There are also brands less expensive than these. Depends on your $$ comfort zone.

Kelly
  8. oneday333

oneday333 New Member

I do not believe the price is that big of a deal. My family member whom I am helping is very serious in begining the journey of owning yacht. You (the people on YF) are the experts, and if you say one brand is better than the other, I will take your word on it. Opinions are always welcome!

-Just Begining
  9. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Love it or leave it

All the brands KCook mentioned plus Hinckley are top quality. Pearson is good too but the 47 will be a 2008 boat at the soonest. The thing to do is spend some time looking at the boats. They are all classics but each is unique. Print some pictures or get literature and just look.
    Tech heads like myself will look at the numbers, engines, speed,range,fuel burn etc. but to be happy with a boat you have to love it.
    If you can spend time on other peoples boats thats even better.
  10. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

What's the budget.....there are many modern boats in the 40ft range with an enclosed helm position.
  11. oneday333

oneday333 New Member

Like I said, there is virtually no budget. He wants a boat built with quality, and style. We are just starting in the 40' range and will keep rising. Any and ALL boat suggestions are welcome; high price, or low.

-Just Begining
  12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

A practical plan, I think. Though many others advise jumping into the largest possible boat right away, I perfer to do this in steps. However, the frequent resale makes it important that the boat be easy to find a buyer for. There are plenty of other boats that are more exotic, for even higher prices, but I think those mentioned so far will be easy to sell. Brokers on this site can correct me if I've errored here.

Style is another question. All of the brands mentioned are in the traditional "downeast" style. Which look very "yachty", and in fact are very practical. But if there is a preference for a more modern, or streamlined style, then there are some brands we could kick around ...

Kelly
  13. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

14. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Several good brands have been mentioned here, I like the Sabres, but really like the Eastbay boats.

Recently saw an Eastbay 49HX, which was really sharp. Partly enclosed, with canvas to close up the aft end when the weather gets colder. Put an Espar or Webasto heater in there, and you are golden! And, in the summer when the weather is nice, being able to open up the aft part of the wheelhouse is really pleasant.

As far as Highlanders comments about the Hinckleys, I agree there is a lot of wasted space; however the new 55 is a pretty well laid out boat.
    Having to touch up the paint every year is not the fault of paint versus gelcoat.
    And, if you seriously think that the varnish bill on a picnic boat is in the 10k to 20 k ballpark, please PM me and I can give you the number of some very good varnish guys in Fairfield County. I run a 68 footer, with a lot of brightwork, and our annual varnish bill is nowhere near that.l
  15. Highlander

Highlander New Member

I have to agree the Hinckley 55 is real nice. We went aboard hull #1 and then right after went aboard a Vicem 52, nice boat and similar layout but the mahogany interior makes the boat a bit dark. For half the price you have to think.

The cost to do varnish on that 55 at Hinkley is not out of line. They will produce a finish that is virtually perfect. The cost for varnish on my Little Harbor Whisperjet 40, at HYS is just over 5K and the LH has very little exterior wood.
    But really it's not about the money is it?
  16. oneday333

oneday333 New Member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!! Sorry I did not respond earlier. I had a very busy weekend. As far as the boats mentioned, I like TK-F430's Fairline. The boats mentioned are all beautiful, don't get me wrong, but they all seem to have the same lobster boat design. As far as buying a boat, my family member is waiting until spring roles around out here so he does not have to wait for the good weather while he has the boat. TK-F430, that is a very sharp looking boat, and congrats on your Fairline Squadron 78!! That too is a VERRY sharp and gorgeous looking yacht!!! Have some fun!!
  17. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Thank you :).........and good luck in your search. Keep us posted of what you find.
  18. KCook

KCook Senior Member

19. oneday333

oneday333 New Member

That Marquis is beautiful!!! Anyone have any experiance or knowledge of Marquis? Anything else out there in the 40' range like it??? Thank you KCook!!!!
  20. Mets

Mets New Member

I completely understand not wanting the lobster boat. If you like the Marquis, then you should check out Azimut, Ferretti, Sunseeker, Fairline, Pershing Yachts, and Baia Yachts. I think you will like your selection much more.

NB Baia's website is in Italian only, but they sell in the US.