Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

55-65 Express Cruiser Shootout + Volvo vs CAT vs MAN

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by kswest, Mar 27, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kswest

kswest New Member

First of all ...

I am a long time lurker and have thoroughly enjoyed reading yacht forums for the past couple months.

A little about me ...

I'm a go-fast boater from FL making the transition to a more family friendly boat for the women in my life. We're looking for a year or two used 55-65ft express cruiser in the 1.5M range.

Here is a short list of the models we're researching:

Fairline Targa 52 (new)
    Fairline Targa 62

SeaRay Sundancer 55 (new) <-- not sure about this one

Sunseeker Predator 55
    Sunseeker Predator 62

Viking v53 (new)
    Viking v58
    Viking v65

Whichever we choose will be used mostly for cruising in and around Ft. Lauderdale and weekend trips to the Bahamas.

I don't necessarily need the biggest or fastest, but am extremely picky about build quality, fit and finish, ride (calm and rough) and reliability.

Any advice or tips on the models above. I like the Fairline 62 and Viking 58 so far, but am open to any suggestions from you who are more experienced with these boats.

Are these all top-notch builders? Am I leaving any out? (Pershing left out by design for $$ reasons).

Also ...

Depending on the make/model there are a variety of engine builders. Anything good/bad about Volvo vs. CAT vs. MAN. I think the Volvo is only available on the smaller boats as they max out at 775hp.

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm looking forward to getting more active on here to wean me off my go-fast addiction.

-K
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

3 views and nobody has said hello so I will. Hello, and welcome.
    TKF430 just bought a Fairline and did some serious homework so he should be able to help some.
    There is also an occaisonal visitor here with some knowledge of Sunseeker. :D
    Enjoy.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

These may end up in the same hopper as Pershing, but it wouldn't hurt to also look into Atlantis, Baia, Uniesse, and Windy.

Kelly Cook
  4. goplay

goplay Senior Member

I've done a lot of research in express cruisers of that style last year and just took delivery of a new Azimut 62S. I actually like it even more than when I first placed a deposit over 9 months ago, and this is after a period of looking at even more boats, some twice the price. Nice design coupled with a well thought out boat. Even has side deck doors, which very few express cruisers have. I think Azimut is coming out with some really great boats (which wasn't necessarily true even in recent history). You can't get a used 62S yet and new would be above your price target.

In the process of looking, I got to tour a few factories and sea trial a few boats. From your list:

- Targa 62
    Nicely built, handles very well, like a smaller boat. Great sea-keeping features, access to engine room etc. A used 62 will have interior styling that im my opinion is dated and somewhat inconsistent (apparently the new model years have a freshened look to them). The 62 is also being replaced with a slightly larger new model.

- Viking V65
    Very well built especially with the additions Viking does over the standard Princess. Similar hull to the Targa 62 as it was designed by the same designer. Princess and Fairline were sister companies at one point. New, at $3M, the V65 is pricey relative to other boats, including Pershing.

- Sunseeker Predators
    The exterior lines look nice, but I wouldn't buy these. They have a very bad reputation for looking worn out pretty quickly. I didn't like the sea-keeping aspects of the boat. Tiny side decks.

- Sea Ray
    I didn't look into any of these in any detail.

- Pershing
    I like Pershings and I would have bought one, but the 62 didn't have a few things I was looking for and the 55 didn't have a fully enclosed salon. Very nicely built, but pricey. I also think Pershing has evolved very recently with some great models. The 55, 90 and upcoming 72 are examples.

Atlantis looks nice but a boat mechanic told me he didn't like working on them for a variety of reasons. The smaller Baia's, personally, I think have impractical design aspects. Windy is interesting but kind of boring (IMHO) and has limited support and distribution in the US. Aicon looks well built with single piece upper deck.

Regarding engines, CAT vs MAN, IMHO, the differences are small. There is a big jump in size and power between the CAT C18 and the C30/32 so you end up seeing certain sized boats using MAN partly because there isn't a CAT alternative.
  5. kswest

kswest New Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Some notes on your suggestions:

KCook - I do have those with the exception of Windy on the list. I will have to look at Windy.

Atlantis - Just doesn't seem as "nice" as the others listed.
    Uniesse - None available a couple years old (that I could find at least). New 2.5M+.
    Baia - Strange layout. Seems like a huge go fast.

goplay - thanks for the details.

The absolute oldest we are considering is 2003, with most in the 2004-2005 range.

I really like the Targa 62 because of the glass (as compared to canvas) helm entrance. When did the v65 switch to glass? The v65s on the list are 2003, the Targas are 2004-2005 which is a huge plus for Targa right there. THe Targas on the list seem to be the same as brand new, but we are just shopping from home right now, no sea trials or anything.

Thanks,

-K
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I dunno it this is true for the year Targa 62 you're looking at. But the current design on their web site shows a huge sunpad planted in the middle of the aft cockpit. I would much prefer the seating on the Viking.

Kelly
  7. kswest

kswest New Member

Here is an example of the Targa we are looking at:: http://www.**************/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=75158&url=

Here is a V65 (there was a 2003, I can't find it, should look the same)
    http://www.**************/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=8384&url=
    http://www.**************/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=39704&url=

Here is a V58
    http://www.**************/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1936&url=
    http://www.**************/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=74757&url=

I like that the cockpit can be closed and locked with the glass doors and that I won't have to snap a ton of snaps or use zippers with the glass doors. Plus the glass will be easier to keep clean.

Why would you prefer the Viking + Canvas?

Thanks,

-K
  8. Barcarole Bob

Barcarole Bob New Member

You can't go wrong with the Sunseeker. I delivered the same yacht numerous times up and down the ICW between FL and NJ as well as one exptrended trip through the Great Lakes. Great boat. Powered with MAN diesels, also fantastic. The service offered by Sunseeker was exceptional when required.
  9. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I just like some seating in the open. Not all of it tucked away inside a deckhouse, which is the case with that Targa. Seems to be one of the conundrums in a sport yacht this size. Hard to provide seating both inside and out, without just doing away with the aft bulkhead.

Some flybridge designs do achieve such a balance. Leave the bridge deck permanently buttoned down and use only the inside helm?

rambling Kelly
  10. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Viking Sport Cruisers are very nice boats but I feel they are a priced a little high. One has to remember that VSC are priced higher than competitors because you have three profit margins built into the price.

1. Princess Yachts takes their cut

2. Viking takes their cut

3. Dealer takes their cut

Add all these up and you get about a 25% mark up from what the same Princess would cost in other parts of the world.:eek:
  11. kswest

kswest New Member

Maybe next time ... Coming from a go fast it's hard to get into something that looks like a bus. Baby steps :)

Plus I love the retractable tops and all the entertainment (friends + food) being right around the helm.
  12. kswest

kswest New Member

Wow. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.
  13. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Welcome to yachtforums kswest. Do you still have your gofast? Are you on offshoreonly.com?
  14. kswest

kswest New Member

Yes on both accounts, but I think my "platinum" membership over there expired a while ago so I hardly ever visit any more.
  15. catmando

catmando Senior Member

What boat do you have?