Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Westport

SCUBA compressors for boats

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by cmt489, Mar 19, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cmt489

cmt489 New Member

Hi everyone. I am a new member here and hope I am posting this question in the right forum.

My family and I have recently entered into a purchase agreement for a new Selene 59 and want to outfit this boat for Scuba diving. There is plenty of room in the lazerette for tanks, equipment and a compressor which was, of course, a huge selling feature for us!

Does anyone here have any opinions on compressors. We are considering both air or a compressor with Nitrox capabilities. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
  2. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Hi cmt489

The best compressors are Bauer compressors you can add the Nitrox if you want. They have several sizes. The best one for you will be Bauer junior 2 electric. You can have a look at http://bauerair.com/portables.html. There is a contact number and they will help you with any questions. I am a diver myself and worked on several big boats and all of them had Bauer compressors onboard. Just make sure that you service it on a regular basis the last thing you want is trouble when you are doing a deep dive.
    Also look at http://www.bauercomp.com/ as you can choose Bauer Miami.

Good luck and enjoy

Graham
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

4. cmt489

cmt489 New Member

Thank you so much for your replies!

The Bauer looks like a very good start although Miami might be a tad far away from Vancouver (or Seattle where we are having the boat outfitted ;) )

I don't do the Hookah style diving so I don't think the Brownie system is compatible for my needs.

Any more recommendations are definitiely welcome!
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have used a Bauer, but had some problems with rust since it was too many wet things stored in that lazarette. Perhaps the coating is improved today, but otherwise be careful to not throw wet ropes around it...
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I posted that in a hurry.

I was after Brownies 3rd Lung who are based in Ft Lauderdale and do every possible type of dive compressor and system install on many of the worlds premier yachts.

If you look at the site you will see that they say if you want to find a dealer in a state not listed write to info@browniedive.com

Give it a try I have been on several mega yachts with big systems by them and always found them to be good quality and easy to run units.

Also look here http://www.tankfill.com/
  7. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

I actually forgot to mention Brownies. Between Brownies and Bauer I don’t think there are any models better than that. You should also find out if the shipyard can install the system or at least have a professional install it. I know sometimes the yards install the compressor and before they sign off on the installation they have a professional that come and check and test the system, please keep in mind I am talking about a junior installation and not the heavy duty systems. Bauer has an office in Seattle. The only problem with Brownies they are based in Fort Lauderdale. But either way they are the best in that field.

BAUER COMPRESSORS Inc.
    Office San Francisco
    2438 Tripaldi Way
    Hayward CA 94545, United States

Tel.:+1 (0)510 887-1927
    Fax: +1 (0)510 887-8993

Area: diving, fire services, industry, military, paintball
  8. cmt489

cmt489 New Member

Well the non-hookah Brownies certainly look better! ;)

As for installation, yes, we will definitely be having the shipyard do everything before we take posession. Better to do it right or not do it at all! Besides that, given that I am going to be breathing this air, I don't think I want to leave appropriate set up to chance. The last thing you want is an intake near an exhaust or something!

I will definitely look into these systems and pass the information onto the dealer who is dealing with the finishing of the boat.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Just a note of caution if you'll be loading NitrOx hither and yon.
    Check the labels not just the bottle colour. The colours are not uniformly used the same way everywhere.
    Nitrous Oxide and Nitrogen have been confused more than once in a few places.....
  10. cmt489

cmt489 New Member

Hmmm, unless I missed something in my scuba training, Nitrox does not actually refer to Nitrous Oxide for divers. Instead, it is for oxygen enriched air. Most systems require that you have pure O2. One of the Brownies systems seems to have some alternatives to toting the pure O2 around although some is always needed for a dive emergency kit.
  11. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

No, you didn't miss anything. There have been mixups out in the boonies which is why I made the note. Oddly enough I've never come across a mixup on Trimix: Nitrogen, Helium and Oxygen.
  12. Makalani

Makalani New Member

13. cmt489

cmt489 New Member

Thank you so much for all of your assistance on this. I will definitely be researching this information further and taking it to our dealer who is outfitting the boat. As for the nitrox, I am back and forth on this since it is definitely more work having to ensure that there is a source of O2 for the fills (that or I will have to carry double the tanks - some for nitrox and some for regular air!)