Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Best yacht for under 2.5 million USD

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by garfangle, Jan 3, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. garfangle

garfangle New Member

I'd like to know what is the best value for a NEW motor yacht (45' or larger) you can buy for under 2.5 million and over 1 million (no cheapies). If you cannot name a specific yacht model than a builder would be fine.
  2. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

A couple of things Garfangle...

1. The lack of response to your question may be in direct proportion to the detail you provided in your bio.

2. Your inquiry is too open-ended. Our members aren't mind-readers.

3. Insinuating that members can't discuss brands of boats that don't support this site would indicate you haven't bothered to read, or search, any threads on this forum. While our site supporters have a strong sense of community, they are here because YF is a portal, not a forum.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Err, actually I thought this could be a fun topic. In my case I have been holding back because I don't know the prices of the various yachts in various sizes. As Carl said, pretty open ended, I expect there are a whole bunch of yachts at that price level.

This is a typical topic of a boating 'board. I would not take exception to it. My advice in these cases is that the members can offer more focused advice if a preferred short list of boat models is provided. That way nobody wastes time talking about boats that are not even available in the market for the guy in question.

Or sumpthin like that,
    Kelly
  4. It could be a fun topic, and there can be many, many correct answers as to what is the best value. The best value to one person could be totally worthless to another as value is subjective. You can ask what is the lowest price, but that does not help much either.
    By asking about the best value, it sounds like you are trying to use REASON in buying a yacht, and if you use strictly reason, you will never buy one. You need to fall in love with the boat. If we were REASONABLE, we would not be working in the marine industry as many of us do, or spending time reading and discussing yachts here!!
    However if you give us more details we might be able to help you have fun in finding the yacht of your dreams.
    Tucker Fallon
  5. garfangle

garfangle New Member

I never said that members couldn't discuss whatever brands they like. Also why name your site yachtforums.com if it is not essentially a forum?
  6. garfangle

garfangle New Member

I do not think it is too open-ended. I presume most people on this forum either have a boat, are looking to buy a boat, or want a boat but don't have the money. So, I presume they should be knowledgeable in a generalist sense of what builders and brands provide and how much they cost.

However, to be more specific, I'll clarify: Too everyone, in your opinion, what are some of the premier builders and/pr specific models of pilothouse-style yachts in a size range of 45' to 75' that cost no more than 2.5 million?
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Garfangle,

There are still so many yachts in that bracket, but to start with, what do you think of Grand Banks and their three series of boats. They use to be value for money, even if they are not cheap.

http://www.**************/
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

It's still a hugely open-ended question... It's like asking what car you should buy between $30-$60 grand. There's a whole lot of choices to be found between a 2-seater drop-top and a minivan/SUV.

It's not just a monetary question, but a design/style/wants/needs question. Do you like to go fast or slow? Motor vs. sail? Flybridge, pilothouse, open? There's much to define before anyone can start making suggestions.
  9. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Well he has said "pilothouse-style yachts in a size range of 45' to 75' ". Which still leaves us with displacement trawler vs fast trawler vs heavy MY vs planing MY. My guess is that we will be stuck with fiberglass, but I've been wrong before ....

Fair question from Lars, how do you see the Grand Banks?

Kelly
  10. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Because forums are increasingly becoming the first destination for people looking for information prior to making a buying decision, therefore it was important for the word to be contained within the URL. :rolleyes:
  11. MikeElliston

MikeElliston New Member

if you want to purchase an 80' motor yacht for 2.5, I work on one that's for sale, we want to get it sold ASAP so my boss can get a sailboat
  12. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Why not look to the older yacht / boat and refit her?

I am sourcing funds to convert a 125' ocean going tug to a "ready for anything" vessel.

Just an idea as many have dreamt of a boat then made it, Stallupi of Millenium yachts for one.