Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Cross

Members awards have been cancelled...?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by airship, Oct 12, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. airship

airship Senior Member

This is because:

A) There were a complete absence of noteworthy posts during the period?
    B) Awards consisting mainly (I'm assuming, never having won any before) of wearable appareil of Chinese-origin, in view of the US global trade deficit of $69.9 billion and in particular, the $22 billion deficit with China for the month of August, it was considered prudent not to worsen the situation?
    C) Someone forgot?

:)
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Carl was out of town, and has been for a little while.
  3. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Hi Airship,

You forgot option "D"... someone’s slackin’ and that would be me!

The Member's Rewards program was only for the summer of 2006, however I still have some apparel leftover. I planned to distribute the remaining items to a few people each month until the inventory is depleted, but I've been traveling over the past few weeks and just returned yesterday. I need a couple of days to wash the bugs off the bumper and catch up on my soap opera… the CBS Evening News. ;)

BTW… thanks to a laptop and a Verizon aircard, I’m able to follow discussions on YF while I travel. Have to give a nod to Verizon on their wireless broadband system. It works well in most cities, but when you travel off the beaten path, you’ll need to find a hotspot. In most cases, I can pull into a hotel parking lot and piggy-back their Wi-Fi system. (don’t tell anyone!)

Airship, you’ll be glad to know that you are one of the winners for September. Actually, you would have been an August winner, but you disappeared for a while. So, here are the recipients of our September Awards…

1. Nilo – In September, Nilo took all of us on a photo-tour of Turkish yachting and destinations, providing history of the region and insight into their culture. Nice work Nilo!

2. Innomare - Bruno’s been a member for a long time, but he got busy on YF last month… sharing his expertise as a naval architect and marine surveyor on a variety of threads. Thanks Bruno!

3. Airship – I don’t think any explanation is necessary here. It’s pretty clear YF is attracting some highly experienced and well educated members. We’re glad you’ve joined us and appreciate you keeping things interesting… and educational!

I need names, mailing addresses, shirt sizes and builders of preference from each of our winners. The cameras are all gone, but I still have some MP-3 players to throw in. Because supplies are dwindling, I need a secondary choice for a builder and a back-up shirt size.

Please e-mail me: Carl (at) YachtForums (dot) com

Congrats guys!
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Congratulations to the September winners. Carl does a great job with the forum and the goodies for the winners. And thanks for all your input and support.
    Capt Tom

PS Carl, I'm using a laptop and Verizon broadband card from NC now and that card is the best thing since sliced bread. I get a signal from most places and can even be using the internet while driving down I-95
    (usually when someone else is driving).
  5. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

So Tom, that's you I see typing instead of driving in the morning!! At least you're not shaving and talking on the cellphone at the same time as typing....oh and driving.

Good job Carl, it's really good of you to recognize contributors. Lots of interest and varying points of view.

Dave
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Agreed!!!! and this is one of he few true forums out there that discusses yachts...so kudos Carl:)
  7. airship

airship Senior Member

Awwww! You've got me feeling all embarassed now... :eek:

I left school aged 14 you know....

As for "sea-going" skills, well let me tell you about a delivery trip of a 40m motor yacht from S. France to Cyprus (as mate) back in 1990:

1st leg: Antibes to Athens

Within the first few hours, the autopilot appears to have failed, according to the engineer. Hand-steering (direct-hydraulic) and navigating 6 hours on / 6 hours off...my watch-mate is the engineer - and he's rarely on the bridge.

4 days later, arrival at Athens, the owner has arranged for electricians (from the company he owns that services his various hotels and factories in Greece) to come aboard. The fault is not the autopilot itself but the 220V AC to 24V DC transformer, the transformer is replaced. Apparently the autopilot still doesn't work - could be a problem with the cabling from the autopilot to the steering solenoids...the solution will have to await arrival in Cyprus?!

2nd leg: Athens to Larnaca

2 days later, arrival at Larnaca. Hand-steering and navigating at the same time, 6 hours on / 6 hours off. I discover that my watch-mate is not in the engine-room when he's not on the bridge - he's sleeping in his cabin. Could not wake up the skipper for his watch on approach to w. Cypriot coast. Only a few more hours to go though. The owner arranges electricians (from the company he owns that services his various hotels and factories in Cyprus, and look after his villa there) to come aboard. There is no problem with the cabling. The skipper's been handling things up until now. I spot a small rotary switch down by the side of the "big ship's traditional Ø1m wheel". It has 2 positions - "manual" or "auto". It is set on "manual". I turn it to "auto": the autopilot now works perfectly...?! :eek:

Later on, I find out that there were at least 2 other alternative sources of adequate 24V DC power available to power the autopilot in the bridge even without the dedicated transformer: the "engineer" is really a "diesel-mechanic", it's his first yacht engineer position...?!

16 years later, I sometimes come across that engineer, he's a skipper of a small yacht these days. I just go "Hi Stéphane!" good-humouredly. I guess that's what Carl means about "experience"...?! Sort of reminds me about the advertisement for a marine insurance company a long time ago: "So, you're insuring ships that you know will sink? That's good business!" Or something along those lines anyway... :)
  8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Dave, Yup, that's me. It's all the rage down here in Palm Beach. I can do that, eat, have coffee, and iron a shirt on the dashboard. Once in a while I'll look up to drive.
    Capt Tom

PS But I'll never do any of that when I'm behind the wheel of a yacht.