Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

EarthRace 2006

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by OutMyWindow, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

The worlds fastest Motorboat just arrived in British Columbia and is set on braking the world time record for circumnavigating the globe.
    http://www.earthrace.net/
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

You have to appreciate the contribution Craig Loomes has made to maritime, but I can't see a wave-piercing monohull becoming mainstream... unless getting wet becomes fashionable. In viewing the offshore video footage on the EarthRace's site, this must be a truly unique experience. In ANY other offshore raceboat, stuffing the bow would make an athiest turn to prayer.

I've been onboard a number of 100 mph+ cats that have scared the hairballs out of me, but going from supersonic to sub-sonic... every 100 yards would be a ride to remember!

Wishing the Earthrace team the best and a safe return!
  3. OutMyWindow

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

But it isn´t really that fast as it looks, just 45 knots top speed and probably a lot slower when filled up...
  5. YachtForums

Quite a contrast between the 20'-something test mule shown in their video and this 70-footer built to go the distance. Man, that's one big boat! Tough to cloak too. ;)
  6. YachtForums

I guess this is as good a time as any to debut this...

The image below is the current project of an old colleague. It is the same size as the Klingon ship, but it will be much faster (around 70 knots). The ride should be equally as smooth... and a lot less wet!

WHY will it work? Because of a VERY narrow cross section, an active canard on the bow to control the angle of attack, coupled with an active lifting wing to lighten up the aft section of the boat at higher speeds. All of this is built on a proprietary hull form that I'm not at liberty to discuss.

I'll tell you more about this when the time is right...

Attached Files:

7. OutMyWindow

Very impressive "romulan knockoff":cool:
  8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Carl, that looks like many things... a cross between an oversized Cigarette, with a futuristic Leopard or Mangusta hull with a jet fighter on top.
  9. Francois

Francois New Member

Carl ,that needs a big Wow.I love this design and sure like you say the bow has to be light in weight so it can climb in heavy seas. I like that 70 knot idea. :cool: What engines does that baby has onboard?

What a great and fast boat. I wish I could get involve in something like this. Its very impressive to say the least.

What a great site

Francois
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The Earthrace boat is going to be on Daily Planet (aired on the Canadian Discovery channel) in a few minutes I believe.
  11. OutMyWindow

Just saw the show.
    Incredible technology, half submarine half boat, will pierce 16 foot waves at speed and able to handle 35 foot waves.
    I like the devotion of the crew, did you notice the tattoo on the guys arm being similar to the boat's graphics.
  12. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Don't know how I missed this. (Where's a smiley of one smacking himself upside the head?)
    Any info on the cross-section of the rear wing? Any other devices on that wing ie: flaps, or is it fixed.
  14. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Codger,

In the future, we’ll expand on this, but now is not the time. Dan allowed me to show the rendering on YF, but until such time as the propulsion system is finalized, along with more exacting weights & balances… the shape & size of the foils are subject to change. I can say this, the aft wing will be fixed, but the canard will be active. For a little history on the project, follow this link…

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/new-custom-classic-unique-yacht/5432-falcon-one.html
  15. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Ok. Curiosity and the almost uncontrollable need to pick at anything that moves through the air were come by honestly. A little too much exposure to Roy LoPresti back in the day. Yup, I think the “subject to change” will be interesting to see. Subscribed to both threads.
  16. Yacht News

Earth Race Is here in Barbados.. to start the circumnavigation of the globe. She is currently at Port St. Charles Marina...having some down time and preparing for the event no doubt.. You can see her over in the background..http://www.portstcharles.com/webcam4_pop.cfm

And here is also the online readup relating to the Earth Race one of our Newpapers' website. Includes a nice shot of her berthed at the inner Careenage in Bridgetown. Afterwhich she left and went to the Marina where is is currently. http://www.nationnews.com/story/337025776785654.php

Also in today's paper 7th of March, some students here in Barbados from a secondary school (the Lester Vaughn secondary) donated 5 gallons of biodiesel to the Earth Race. Doesn't sound like much compared to her 3000 gal tank but a little goes a long way!
  17. Yacht News

Earth Race is scheduled to leave today Saturday.. from the Bridgetown Port on her circumnavigation of the globe.
  18. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

You gonna' get some pics of her for us Ron?
  19. Yacht News

#1 I don't have an idea when she is leaving...for some reason her departure time is clouded.
  20. Yacht News

I am not sure if this has been posted here but here is the website of the Craig Loomes Design .. and a few pics of Earth Race on there...
    http://www.cld.co.nz/earthrace.htm
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.