Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Should Manatee Speed Zones be lifted?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jun 9, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A poll is being conducted by the Ft. Lauderdale News / Sun-Sentinal asking readers...

"Florida has decided to move the manatee off the endangered list to "threatened." Should the state continue its development restrictions and widespread go-slow zones for boaters in manatee zones?"

As of Friday morning, June 9th 2006, there are 4136 total responses...

86.8% - Yes. The tough rules are successfully protecting the manatees. (3588 responses)

8.8% - No. Now that the manatee is thriving, some restrictions and speed zones should be eased. (365 responses)

3.3% - I don't think there should be any laws protecting the manatee. (137 responses)

1.1% - I'm not sure. (46 responses)

Here's the link... http://www.sun-sentinel.com/
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

There's no question that manatee zones have hurt the marine industry. In some cases, there is no clear reason for some zones to exist, prompting one to think that politics play a larger role in protecting the manatee.

I wonder what the results would be if *boaters* were asked the same question?
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Wealthy Manatee

I have always found it a little odd that the manatee always seem to take up residence in the most affluential neighborhoods:D
  4. nas130

nas130 Member

Always around the nice Marianas too! I have spent two seasons at the Palm Beach town docks and there are countless 40 footers waking everyone. I personally do not spend anytime cruising the intracostal, so I actually appreciate the breaks from the wakes. People will wake a 100 footer all the time and not realize that they are sensitive to wakes as well!!!

nas
  5. wingless

wingless Member

The worst part about the speed zones is many of the signs are tiny, with small print, all have similar text w/ different meanings and none of this shows up on either the printed or the chip chart.

So, even w/ my 7x50 binoculars I have to come off a plane, slow to read the sign and then select an appropriate speed.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree totally. I think *some* of the manatee zones should be lifted as they are not there for the manatees, but there for the houses. However, there are certain area's that manatees do congregate in on a frequent basis (such as near powerplant discharges) and those should stay.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

indeed, Manatee Zones dont mean much anymore since they are often used to slow down boats in congested area.

keep them where Manatees congregates.

Now, there are some stretches of the ICW which need to be kept slow, mostly on week end due to the volume of traffic. Primarily narrow sections with sea walls on each side where wakes bounces and cause hazardous conditions.

i dont' think that manatee zones hurt the boating indusry, there are still many unrestricted area (Biscayne Bay for instance and the Keys). What has hurt the marine industry is the restrictions on new docks and new marinas.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

indeed, Manatee Zones dont mean much anymore since they are often used to slow down boats in congested area.

keep them where Manatees congregates.

Now, there are some stretches of the ICW which need to be kept slow, mostly on week end due to the volume of traffic. Primarily narrow sections with sea walls on each side where wakes bounces and cause hazardous conditions.

i dont' think that manatee zones hurt the boating indusry, there are still many unrestricted area (Biscayne Bay for instance and the Keys). What has hurt the marine industry is the restrictions on new docks and new marinas.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No need to read every sign. Once you learn what each word grouping looks like tou can tell what it says from a long distance glance.
  10. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Maybe if I went and hunted for manatees in a couple of restricted areas I might find some but I have not seen a manatee in the south east Florida water ways in years. The manatee rules are beating dead horses and causing un-necessary problems as far as I can see. If anything it should at least be season restrictions
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's almost a given you'll see them in the Titusville area and all through the Indian River. Can't remember the time I didn't see them in the Haulover Canal cut from Mosquito Lagoon. Watched a pair mating on the sandbar at the entrance to the New River in Ft. Lauderdale. Just have to be looking.
  12. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I've had them behind my apt on the canal on the N side of SE 15th st FtL a few times in the last few years.
  13. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

The speed fine pyramid is designed to extort money from grandpa for going 2 knots over the speed limit in his Sea Ray. So many jobs have been created for the LEO bureaucracy because of infractions it is hard to deny this. I think that if this poll were taken anywhere but the most liberal part of Florida ("the Debbie Wasserman Schultz coastal zone") the polling results would have been much different. Try this poll in Naples, the Panhandle, the Keys, Cape Coral etc. and the results will be the other way around...
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Florida is sticking their fingers into the snowbird's pockets? Now there's a shocker. Next thing you know they'll be setting up speed traps on A1A in Lauderdale By The Sea. :rolleyes:
  15. Mark I

Mark I Member

I seem to recall that some of the speed signs have different rules for weekends and weekdays.

Do the manatees read these signs and stay away on daysor hours when boats can go faster?
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Educated aren't they?:D That goes to show who the regulations were actually implemented for. At least the manatee are a bit safer as a side benefit to saving those seawalls and lawns.
  17. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

No speeding fines enforced during Sabbath in Ft Lauderdale!:D
  18. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I just happened to see a manatee in S Fl waters ways today unexpectedly and surprisingly. Not in the marked ICW though.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

They're obviously smarter than some who make the rules, so why not. :D
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member