Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Seasickness

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Nov 22, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

In the Nov issue of Yachting World magazine I noticed a rather interesting 'letter to the editor'

C for seasickness

Sir, I read with interest but also some amazement the great report on seasickness (Yachting World, October). The illness which in fact is not an illness, is caused by histamine produced by the brain when disturbed by 'illogical' movement.

Histamine production can be cut by high doses of Vitamin C; one has to take three, four, or even five grams when feeling the onset of seasickness. Recovery comes immediately.

The link between seasickness, vomiting, and histamine was discovered by German Professor Dr Jarisch.

My wife, who suffered severely on every sailing trip, tried out our remedy on our last trip in Croatia. She took three grams. Shortly after drinking the Vitamin C cocktail she felt great.

Heinz Ernst Daester
    Madany Yachting
    Obfelden, Switzerland
  2. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Hmmm, i shall try this out on the mrs, she gets real sea sick and that kinda doesnt help when you're starting out on a boat design career :D
  3. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I would wear the Relief Band in case vitamin C is not available.
  4. JonS

JonS Senior Member

She does, and it does help, but in rough water, can anything really help?
  5. andymullen

andymullen New Member

I have always found that giving the seasick person the wheel helps. Aparently looking at the horizon gives you something to focus on & stops the seasickness. Eat dry biscuits as well. It stops the fluid in the stomach from sloshing around! Also, my Mrs. swears by "Travel Gum". It can be taken after the onset of seasickness & works for her.
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Good excuse to go faster. I always get sick when wallowing along, less when banging into the waves.

Kelly
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Few years ago was accompanied by a woman that suffered horribly from seasickness. Macanese doctor was present and he attached a little metal piece of some sort with adhesive tape to the back of one ear lobe and another similar device to one of her wrists. She went from green to beautiful in under a minute.
    Might be worth checking out a local oriental doctor since I was looked at as being rather primitive for not knowing about something so common and letting her suffer as long as I had.:)
  8. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Ok I'll bite whatthehell is a Mecanese doctor??

When my military service came to a close I was shipped out of Bremerhavn Germany in January. Remember the TV series Victory At Sea with those huge ships rocking up and down in the big waters? Needless to say, the ship's heads were very popular for the ten days it took to get to NY Harbor.:rolleyes:

Funny but that was the first and last time I've even been seasick.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

"Ok I'll bite whatthehell is a Macanese doctor??"

Sorry. Macanese are people of combined Portugese and Chinese decent in Macau. Some of the nicest people on the planet. Also some of the most beautiful women that God ever had a hand in creating.
  10. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Ok I'm gonna put Macau on my list of must-see places.;) :)
  11. linnetwoods

linnetwoods New Member

Currently in Torrevieja, near Alicante, Spain
    It is said that the reason that so many pirates wore a patch over one eye had less to do with their buccaneering activities than with their having found that it helped to combat seasickness if they kept one eye covered. I have no idea if there is any truth in the rumour and am rather hoping that I will never need to test the theory...
  12. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

You know about the old English cure for seasickness???

Lie in the shade of a brick church,
    works every time.

Dave
  13. Ben

Ben Senior Member

:D :D :D