Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Helicopters

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ladies choice, Oct 26, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

I am looking at various Helicopters, I know the issues with having one on board, corrosion, fuel storage etc.. I just keep going back to wanting my own for accesiblity and ease of sight seeing/transport etc..

The yacht that I am checking out has more then enough room to have one, though it isn't set up for the fuel storage etc..

My question is this, What if any first hand knowledge someone has on here of the Robinson 44? That seems to be a reasonable cost, well under 500k for a 4 person style. I don't need long ranges, fast speeds, high maintenance costs or flashy keeping up with the next yachts Eurocopter ego.

I just want to have a alternate transportation vehicle that can get me just about anywhere in a port town/ island/ remote area I want to go on land from the yacht. Maybe shoot some video from a mounted camera module for fun home movies etc.. This type even has floats for water landings or emergency style pop out ones.

Ok let me have it! Talk me into or out of this one now....:)
  2. Yachtwatch

Yachtwatch Guest

Robinson 44

Love the Robinson 44. Great choice for the family of business partners. Not super fancy but nor is the price. This is one of the better helicopters to have aboard a vessel. Very simplistic that handles better then other helicopters in the salt air. This size of helicopter is all you really need for island stops to exploring or just making your tee time at the local gold course. The fixed floats would be the ideal choice over standard skids or flip away floats. Biggest question would be what vessels would you be landing on. With my experience it is more of a combination of the vessel and the helicopter that make a good match of both practicality and useage. I have worked with a number of vessels that just did not accomadate there helicopter and made the useage very difficult as well as dangerous. Sent you a private message as well.
  3. Kruse

Kruse Member

Heli

Have you had a look at the Russian Kamow.
    They are equipped with modern (vestern) engines, have good bad-weather-capabilities with the coaxial roters.
    Coaxial Rotors: http://www.kamov.ru/market/encycl/coahe.htm
    Econoical and well tested.

I was thinking, especially about their KA-266 multirole
    Multi purpose: http://www.kamov.ru/market/tablen/26.htm

The really special thing with this Heli?
    You can exchange the rear cabin or fly without.
    Change from Passenger transport to Ambulance or Cargo hawler in minutes.
    Mount a winch, lift and cary 1500 kg cargo (3300lbs)

Ka-226 main characteristics:

Engine type twin Allison 250-C20R/2 (SR) turbo-shafts
    Engine power, hp. 2 x 450

Take-off weight, kg 3400 / 7480 lbs
    Payload,kg 1300 / 2860lbs lbs
    (Maximum transportable cargo, kg
    - inside the transport cabin 1400
    - on external sling 1500)
    Main rotor diameter, m 13.0 / 42'5''
    Max. speed, km/h 205 / 128 mph
    Cruising speed, km/h 195 / 122mph
    Hover ceiling, m 2000 or (also seen:) Ceiling m - hovering 2500 - service 6200
    Dynamic ceiling, m 5,000 /16400'
    Max. rate of climb, m/s 10.6
    Flight range, km 600 / 375miles with standard tank
    Passengers capacity 6-8 + 1 + 1 pilot
    Transport-passenger cabin dimensions, m
    - length 2.35 / 93'
    - height 1.4 / 55'
    - width 1.54 / 61'

KA-226 http://www.kamov.ru/market/news/sh1.htm
    Gallery http://www.kamov.ru/market/galler/226e.htm
    Speecial http://www.kamov.ru/market/prod/specen.htm

I find this to be a very interesting heli. Perhaps not the prettyest.
    It is supposed to have a really good reputation.
    Is being used more and more in Russia by government and private companies

Hope this will help

Attached Files:

4. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

i liked the look of the KA-115 the most, will have to inquire as to pricing of this helicopter if they still make this version as well. Interesting though design sort of like it without the tail rotor better. Thanks!

Anything else out there? That is moderate priced, that is less then 4 million for a bell or a eurocopter?. If I could find something between the cost of a robinson 44 at 500k and 1 million. I would be interested in that range as long as it can hold 4 adults and some luggage.
  5. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

The MD500 looks interesting

Attached Files:

6. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

I didn't see that one, I just sent a email though to them to ask about the KA-115 and any other models they would suggest for a 50 meter yacht and the short range 4 person payload I would be interested in having. I am curious to know what these things cost. Also about parts availablity and reliability too. Are Russian made goods of quality? I have seen more then a few of thier decommissioned fighter jets out in California at private airports which are cool toys and alot less cost then any other jet of that type.
  7. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

can you send me the link on the MD-500 I can't find it on thier site!
  8. Garry Hartshorn

9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On this rendering of a 50 m explorer yacht from an earlier discussion, there is an MD 500E, exact to scale.

Attached Files:

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yes my dream yacht design, now i know which Helicopter you drew in, that looks to be a really nice one too, I will have to see how much though they are asking for that model, I just don't want to be getting too high end of one for the usage I think I would be getting out of it. Any idea of the cost?
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It might be a good idea buying a used one, since you will not fly 7 hours a day? Normally the second hand helicopters are updated with new avionics, interior and paint. And as with all aircrafts, the check and maintenance programmes are strict, why it can not compare to a used car...

MD 500:s from the 80:s are from about 400.000 USD and up to what a new comes to, which I have not found out.

Some basic information with many links I found here; http://www.helis.com/using/kind.php
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Great pic and an even better post Garry! I believe this is the MD500 "NOTAR" and they are demonstrating the advantages of the No Tail Rotor system. In this case, partially submerging the boom. In a conventional heli, the results would have been catastrophic!

Everything about this sytem makes sense. Less moving parts, less exposed (dangerous) parts, more tail rotor authority, better aerodynamics, etc.

The way of the future? Maybe. Quite surprizing it was not adapted for the new LHX program.
  13. KCook

KCook Senior Member

The police department for Phoenix has been operating a fleet of NOTAR type MD choppers for a few years now. I can tell you they fly with a much lower noise level than a conventional helicopter. One wag compared it to having a vaccum cleaner fly overhead. They are also used for mountain rescue missions. So the control while hovering must be pretty decent.

Kelly Cook
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Good points Kelly. The NOTAR *IS* much quieter. Also, because they have no exposed tail rotor to tangle in wires, branches etc, they are better suited for low level extraction in mountainous areas. For this reason alone, they are better suited for a yacht.
  15. Garry Hartshorn

Closeup of notar

Attached Files: