Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Westport

Grace-full video

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by karo1776, Sep 21, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

It looks a like nice classical bird, also it is a replica, Karo. A few things are missing to the perfect classic look. Things like the missing teak deck and the masts look displaced and out of proportion (in regard to the bowspriet). But from distance and from most of the pictures, a nice looking boat. But that is exactly was Nero was too (or still is), a nice looking boat - from distance!!!

But in general, those little replica steamers, below 50 meter LOD, can turne out as real beauties. But this beauty can really quickly be destroyed by wrong proportions, to much visible modern equipment (like Sat domes) and most of all wrong paint sheme, all together called bad tast and lack of historical knowledge.
    The step from art to gimcrackery is very short.

Sorry but that is my neck of the wood.
  3. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

I absolutely agree about the details HTM09. It would not really fit in SOF. It is very work boat like without teak decks, no stainless, painted anchor gear etc... and no hull fairing. I suppose its a couple three four maybe even five million euro far from ready for prime time. But it its cruising ground who's to know... Norway is beautiful but is also often overcast and cold! But it interesting.

However, these classics always interest me as if done well they could be stunners and not go out of style so fast. I love the Burger Sycara (reviewed herein) though I have never seen it in person. But its clipper bow is off... the fake wood grain paint treatment looks fake... the interior is just a little too much burl wood etc. However, I think the sail yacht Meteor is about as close to perfect as could could come in this style.
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Hi Karo, as far as classical boats are concerned, we both have an almost congruent taste :).

Also I make my living of commercial ships, my occupation are classical boats. Both sailing ships/boats and steamers. I am an active member and benefactor of several non-profit associations and foundations for the preservation of historical ships. And we manage to keep all historical boats on the water and do cruises with them. I sometimes have the honour of being voluntary skipper (without payment) of some great old wooden schooners, cutters and coal powered steam ships made of good old riveted steel.

Will say, preserving museum ships, is a great occupation but having such an oldtimer as a personal yacht, would be a nightmare.

For personal use, I always would prefer a replica. Classical look down to the smallest possible detail, perfectly styled interior, classical looking deck hardware like winches, davits, aerators, a classical laid teckdeck, high gloss cap rails and things like this, will make a real beauty. But below deck and below the waterline only modern machinery and modern materials.

But it is much easier to design a classical looking sailboat, especially a schooner or staysail kutter, than a steamer. Meteor and Borkumriff IV are most likely some of the best examples.

I am not talking about the big steamers of the JP Morgan aera like Savarona, Nahlin or other royal yachts. I am talking of something with the idea behind Nero but with a great designer and naval architect and done by a high quality yard. A perfectly designed steamer replica with perfectly styled exterior and interior of the JP Morgan style and aera.

There are only a very few designers and naval architects available in world, some of them guilty of creating marbles like Athena, Meteor, Borkumriff I to IV, Foftein, Jessica or even the schooner Atlantic. And there are not very many yards out there, capable and willing to build a replica steamer, because they are so difficult to design and build perfectly. A standard "sharpened container" is far easier to build than an all curved classic. I am afraid, one has to go to the Netherlands to have something designed and built like this.
  5. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

I agree what you call a replica is idea... but difficult and expensive... and a Holland building project. Royal Huisman has done such a fine job with these sailboat versions I suspect they would be good for a motorboat too.

With modern finishes and machinery one can expect the best of both worlds.

If one were to go with a steel hull I would definitely specify that the hull be built by Graafship for the steelwork... and expect to pay a little extra for a very fair hull. main | Construction in Steel and Aluminium | Graafship

I think the bronze brightwork would be really the way to go for the overall effect over Stainless but the issue is upkeep. Though I suspect some kind of vacuum vapor deposited coating would help keeping that bright.

Love the clipper bows... too.

What most don't know I suppose is prior to 1960's many even welded ships had some riveted hull seams for crack stops. The real classics are riveted totally. I suppose this would not be possible now-a-days for a replica as the labor costs would be hugely prohibitive. But it would be interesting to have the effect above the waterline... maybe some kind of stud welding rivet head simulations but don't know what one would do for the seams?

Great to hear you are involved in classics... !

Hope you all enjoy the Monaco show its beautiful weather down there now. This spring and summer its been unusually less than Riviera like with the weather!