Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

Kayaks on a yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CPT2012, Dec 27, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CPT2012

CPT2012 Member

I wonder what are the best kayak brands people here would recommend to carry on a 60 ft. yacht. Some time ago I've had a 2 people Ocean Kayak, it was OK but maybe too big (and heavy?) for a yacht that size. I noticed most of the big boats carry the smaller kayaks for one person. I would also like to know if anybody uses any special brackets to secure it to the bow/bridge, or bow rails, like the cradle in this picture.

Attached Files:

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not too familiar with what brand of Kayaks are better than others. However I see a lot of yachts your size have brackets or cradles made and they store them on top of the fiberglass hardtop a lot of times.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We carry two one person kayak and they sit on L shape brackets similar to the picture you posted. I had the made by our if SS by a metal shop up the Miami river, near 27th av. They have an eye at the top to tie them down. If out case they are bolted on SS railing on the back of the flybridge.

No reason why you couldn't carry two person kayaks on a 60 footer... They are not much heavier than the single person.
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

You do not need a 60 ft boat to stow 2 kayaks. The boat in the picture is a 50 ft Trawler. I would just stow them high enough and away from the bow, to keep them from being washed away by a bigger wave. We always carried 2 foldable kayaks on our sailboat. They could be dismantled in a few minutes and stowed below deck. Our kids loved them, because the could also be sailed.

Attached Files:

5. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Take a look at some of the kayak racks made by companies like Thule or Yakima that make kayak racks for cars and trucks.

You may see something there that strikes your fancy that you could replicate in stainless.
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Good looking trawler!!!
  7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The trawler is a Nordhavn 52. It is basically a 47 with an extended aft cockpit. In my opinion one of the best trawlers for circumnavigation and passagemaking by just a wife and husband crew. And a true liveaboard.

That boat has its own website: MV Dirona Home Page and it is operated by a couple traveling the seven seas. What a dream, to be independent like that !!
  8. CPT2012

CPT2012 Member

Thanks all for the feedback, and that is a sweet looking trawler indeed. 6 1/2 ft draft...

Attached Files:

9. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

The small cockpit on the Nordhavns has been a drawback in their design IMHO, however the way this boat has been extended with a lower freeboard is very nice!!!
  10. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hobie has a full line of kayaks as well as other water toys.
  11. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Nordhavn 52

It is not only the larger aft cockpit, it is, what is under the bottom line. Sturdy construction, seaworthiness, simple and proven systems with dry exhaust stack and keel cooling, easy to maintain, very longe range with low fuel consumption and a practical layout for easy and comfortable living for a couple over a longer period of time. To bad, I have no need for one.

Attached Files:

• 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      199.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      159.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      183.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Chasm

Chasm Senior Member

An interesting blog, it has quite a bit of tech content and also background to their various decisions customizing and outfitting their Nordhavn.
  13. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi there,

We carry Hobie's and Ocean Kayak, to me both are great. Having a larger boat is a plus for sure, and allows for carrying tandem models with ease.

Regarding mounting options, it is hard to tell what will fit you, and you might need to have a backup option if you are going to places where your primary option won't work, like if you dangle them on the side then be Med. moored and can't easily access your yaks when needed. I am with looking around for what is available then adapting it in stainless to your boat if it was not already so.

Keep us up on your find and good luck.

Cheers,