Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

Large Benetti up in flames in Livorno

Discussion in 'Benetti Yacht' started by C4ENG, Aug 20, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Livorno, brucia megayacht all'Azimut Benetti - Video Il Tirreno

I received this link from some one over there working but no info of what happened. There is a video of the boat with some nasty looking flames coming out if it. I am hoping maybe some one might know some details to share. I always appreciate knowing how accidents happened so I can play my role in avoiding them.
  2. Tatasboat

Tatasboat New Member

Article states that it could have been arson, that is difficult to protect against... I hope no one was on board or if they were made it off safely.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Is it an Italian thing...?

Attached Files:

4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The reason for most of the car fires?

A crap adhesive used to bond the wheel arch liners. Not all, but many. Look at the photos again, all are from around the wheels.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. YachtForums

If memory serves, that was a 458 Italia issue. The F430 was a hose that could rupture. The 360 Modeno was yet another issue. Did I mention the 599 GTB...?

Attached Files:

6. YachtForums

Don't forgot the FF...

Attached Files:

7. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

For the first time ever, I am happy not to own a Ferrari!

That Benetti fire looks very bad, beyond fix. What a pitty!
  8. Bagatelle

Bagatelle Senior Member

What a shame - is that not the 55m Ocean Paradise ?
  9. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That looks just like her. Brand new and fried. What a shame.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

And let's not forget the infamous marelli ignition which set many jaguar XJS on fire... Jaguar engineers thought they d be better off with Italian ignition versus Lucas...
  12. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

A little italian fire joke.......

One dark night in the small town of Garfield , NJ, a fire started inside the local sausage factory. In a blink the building was engulfed in flames. The alarm went out to all the fire departments for miles around.

When the first volunteer fire fighters appeared on the scene, the sausage company president rushed to the fire chief and said, "All of our secret sausage recipes are in the vault in the center of the plant. They have to be saved, so I will donate $50,000 to the fire company that brings them out and delivers them to me."

But the roaring flames held the firefighters off. Soon more fire departments had to be called in because the situation became desperate. As the firemen arrived, the president shouted out that the offer to extricate the secret recipes was now $100,000 to the fire department that could save them.

Suddenly from up the road, a lone siren was heard as another fire truck came into sight. It was the fire engine of the nearby Lodi , NJ volunteer fire department composed mainly of Italian firefighters over the age of 65.

To everyone 's amazement, the little run-down fire engine, operated by these Italian firefighters, passed the fire engines parked outside the plant and drove straight into the middle of the inferno. Outside, the other firemen watched in amazement as the Italian old timers jumped off and began to fight the fire as if they were fighting to save their own lives. Within a short time, the Lodi old timers had exti nguished the fire and saved the secret recipes.

The grateful sausage company president joyfully announced that for such a superhuman accomplishment he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to personally thank each of the brave elderly Italian firefighters.

A TV news crew rushed in after capturing the event on film. The 'on camera' reporter asked the Italian fire chief, "What are you going to do with all that money?"

"Wella," said Chief Pasquale De Luccinellavanti, the 70-year-old fire chief, "de fursta tinga we gonnna do isza fixa de brakes on dat fockinna truck!!"
  13. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

14. Bagatelle

Bagatelle Senior Member

15. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The new Jags are perhaps not much better - check with Dick Van Dyke.

Attached Files:

16. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

17. ttkrule

ttkrule Member

The original fire problem was with the Ferrari 458 model and was caused by an insulation mat above the exhaust coming loose due to heat and getting in contact with the pipes when high revving in hot weather.

If other occurrences of supercars fires, in Italy, were to be statistically anomalous and involving other makes, and in light of the economic crisis, above average insurance premiums, and a very significant increase in luxury cars ownership taxes in 2012, I would more readily consider insurance fraud.

Something like what happened in the US, with a marked increase in motor yacht fires following the 2008 financial crisis.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Old thread but since it was linked to... I never understood why so few people carry a fire extinguisher. Every time I buy a car, the first thing I do is get a 5lbs bottle...
  19. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Agree, but most people don't know how to use them.
  20. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

If people do carry them, they often don't check/maintain them.
    If they sit for long periods along with the vibration of the vehicle, the powder settles and compacts.
    You still may have pressure but the retardant is so packed it fails.
    Your supposed to shack them now and then and vary the way they are positioned, according to our safety contractor.