Click for Comfort Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

Super- Mega- or Gigayachts!?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AMG, Nov 8, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have never heard of a distinct definition on where Super- and Megayachts starts or replaces each other. My own definition of Superyachts is based on quality combined with a certain size, normally from 80 feet upwards. Megayachts are to me all big private yachts even less super conversions. But what shall we call the new breed of giant yachts like Pelorus and Octopus?
    Someone has suggested Gigayachts which I think will be appropriate. Or should we leave that to yachts above 150 m, as rumours now are saying the first 160 m is ordered?
    Let´s hear your ideas!

Here you can see my 165 m concept, she looks kind of Giga, doesn´t she? :)

Attached Files:

2. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Hi Lars,

Yes, she looks very giga!!! In the "Boote Exklusiv" Lexikon is under "M"...Megayacht is standing for custom yachts to 100 metre. Gigayacht is standing for yachts 100 metre and over.

I heard a 160 m yacht is the "Platinum". She is currently in build and I heard Roman Abramovich ordered a 160 m or maybe the 147 m design from Blohm + Voss.

René
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks René, it is probably right to include Lady Moura as a Gigayacht! :)
    /Lars
  4. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

Hey lars, can you make me some more photos of this yacht and specificatins? For anyone who likes making designs, I have a quest for you. Please make me a design that is at least 170m. Lets see who's design looks best. By the way, I really like the design alot lars.
  5. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

Nice touch with the harrier landing :D :D :D :D :D
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you, I am trying to get a 200 m yacht together right now... :)
    But would that be a Terrayacht or what? Doesn´t sound right though, but I think we should have a name for 200 m+ yachts as well? :confused:

(Anyone that would like a higher definition jpg on the 165m yacht above, PM your e-mail address)
  7. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

I like your name Lars. Please keep me updated with the 200m yacht.
  8. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

I think it so: Megayacht to 100m, Gigayacht 100+, Terrayacht 200+, Petayacht 300+, Exayacht 400+, Zettayacht 500+, Yotayacht 600+ (with a runway for the learjet or the private boeing :D :D ).

By the way, I have byte boat (4m) :D

René
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here is your Yotayacht... :)
    This one is almost beyond description I think, I have forgotten the dimensions but it was something like 2000 m long and with 25.000 people living onboard....
    Not made by me this time ;)

Attached Files:

10. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

What is that????? That "yacht" is more a swimming city than a yacht. Is that an idea only or really a project?

René
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  11. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Please send more drawings

Currently i am planning a 80m new build project for a client.

I am looking for designs in this lenght.

Please also have a look at this GIGA and the owners stateroom

Attached Files:

12. Merijn

Merijn Guest

Great design! Crewagency, can you please tell me more about the yacht? Her length and will she be built. I recognize on her stern the name and logo of the 86m Benetti Kingdom 5KR. I have heart more rumours that her owner Prince Alwaleed is looking for a replacement, but I never seen a confirmation. Do you know more about a successor of the Kingdom 5KR?
  13. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

No more Informations

Sorry but i am not allowed to give more infos about this project.
    It is 163 m in lenght and has nothimg to do with the current 5KR

But i place some pictures from my current projects.
    Kindest regards

Alex

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2004
  14. Merijn

Merijn Guest

I don't understand that there isn't a connection between your design and the Kingdom 5KR. Why did you otherwise wrote the name on the design? I can't imagine that there will be another yacht with the same name of that length. I think that the owner asked designers to draw his new yacht and he choosed another design.....could I be right???

By the way: I really like the design, do you have maybe some more drawings of it??
  15. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

Amg, do you have the 200m rendering? Does anyone have a link for a rendering to the next k5kr?
  16. blackastra

blackastra New Member

crewagency design

Great Design Crewagency . I think you hit the nail right on the head with the
    owners suite. For gods sake, give them a view. I can't understand why so many owners want a suite hidden away with only small windows.
    Yachts like "Lady Lola" with their forward facing suite appeal to me.
    You may also want to consider windows that actually open or even better yet a private veranda with large opening doors. I for one would prefer the smell of the sea air to anticeptic air conditioning all the time.

I would also like to see over hanging areas on the sides with either a sunbed or seats.
    Just imagine what it would be like to be sitting/lying down with the ocean streaming by below you. These could be permanent or hydraulically slide out.

Also , on smaller yachts, there still seems to be a problem with where to put the tender. Looking at some of the jet drive "rubber" ones , they are only 1 meter in hight. Surely they could design a space for them eg. beneath a day bed at the back of the sun deck. They could hydraulically slide out on rails and be lowered.
    There just seems plenty of areas where you could hide them. Better yet , design a new tender that can be collapsed to fit.

I bet everyone has their own ideas for what they'd like to sea on Megayachts.
    I'd like to hear them.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

206 m (675 feet)

As promised, here is the "Terrayacht", or the biggest Superyacht in the world.
    To survive many generations I made her more like a real ship than a fancy yacht on steroids. I am looking back at Savarona, Sea Cloud, Delphine, Christina O and more recent Lady Moura, all very big yachts that are aging with dignity.

As an answer to Blackastra, naturally this yacht has it all, since the size permits whatever you can dream of. The tender pocket aft contains a 20 m (65 feet) Venetian Taxi, which itself has a rib tender in a storage under the sunbed...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  18. hufloas

hufloas New Member

Classic yachts will be always in! :)
  19. newbee

newbee New Member

She looks very elegant. How many PAX is she designed to accomodate?
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have several ideas of her interior, but it all comes down to who will build her. However I doubt you will keep her in the Solas 36 PAX, my estimations are that crew will be 100 to 150 if you include personal staff and there will be accommodations for up to 150 guests. A cruise ship with similar hull dimensions carries up to 2.500 PAX...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.