Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for JetForums

Proteksan & Turquoise Superyacht "Yogi" Sinks!

Discussion in 'Turquoise Yacht' started by discokachina, Feb 17, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

It is a sad day for Yogi which sank this morning due to mechanical failure. All crew were safely rescued by helicopter.

Superyacht Yogi Sinks- Video

Attached Files:

2. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

That's crazy. I haven't heard of a yacht this size or that is this new sinking before. At least someone got it on video.
  3. kingpin

kingpin New Member

Where did yogi sink? Hats off to rescuer who took a slam into the top deck. Made more sense to get them from a raft.
  4. discokachina

5. Anderschou

Anderschou New Member

6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What was the mechanical failure that caused it to fill up with water uncontrollably?
  8. discokachina

It has been reported that Captain Jean Louis Carrel said when asked about the weather conditions effect on the incident, "No, it was [down to] engine problems. It was the exhaust of the engine."
  9. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

WOW! would like to know how that really happened, please keep the post updated.
  10. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Unreal they didn't have enough pumps to handle an exhaust.
  11. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Look at the size of that yacht, its not a question of a simple minor exhaust leaks and a couple of pumps short.... please lets not start taking this to the direction of assumptions. The yacht was built to class and certified, it is a ship, a commercial vessel, built differently than what most are used to... Unless there was some gross negligence on the part of builders, designers and certifiers all together, this is a huge pile-up of mis-haps... not a question of "unreal they didnt have enough pumps"....
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well, judging by the outcome, stating that effective pump capacity was less than the size of the hole is not speculation...
  13. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Saying that it is unreal without knowing the size of the hole is...
  14. 84far

84far Senior Member

15. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If Concordia can do it , any boat can....rocks or not....
  16. Anderschou

Anderschou New Member

Anyone in the business will be speculating/theorizing on this one . . . .

The take that keeps on coming back to me - accepting the (supposed) comment by the captain naming the exhaust as the culprit - is this:

First, a boat that size will have a highly qualified crew, and whatever happened was beyond the crew's capability to bring under control in a timely manner. This would indicate an unexpected catastrophic failure.

Underwater exhausts generally have a riser coming up from the hull to which the main exhaust hosed is attached. Said riser is generally a couple feet long, but the coupling between riser and hose is still at or below waterline, if I remember correctly. The riser/hose for that size of yacht might be +/- 14" diameter. OK, hose breaks away from riser, you still have the riser in place to cap off and one engine left to run on. If, however, the riser shears off close to the hullside in a manner in which it can't be quickly capped off then you will have an enormous and effectively uncontrollable quantity of water flooding the engineroom. Things then get really ugly really fast . . .

Speculation, speculation, I know.

Anderschou
  17. luckylg

luckylg New Member

I've seen many catastrophic failures of this sort, albeit never on a vessel this large. In all cases, there was a chain of events which, in hindsight, seem evident and even simplistic. During the event, however, the chain is never apparent and solutions can quickly disappear.

Does anyone know if the vessel actually sank or if it is in some state of limbo? Is there a specific location stated? Just curious if the vessel is salvageable or if it is a TCL.

Sad to see. Glad that everyone was safely removed from harm.
  18. 84far

84far Senior Member

Mate, got the email this morning about the sinking, went straight to YF (Yeah, your site rocks Carl :D), and checked in the "General Yachting Discussions", saw nothing on the topic, so started the new thread. When you did move the thread over, I did notice it came under "Show/Events" I think (glitch). All good now.

Far
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Far, since you brought it up, I have a question; Is it only me who have this header where you can check New Posts..?

Attached Files:

20. 84far

84far Senior Member

I have it too, never used it till now. "Galileo G" looks great by the way, thanks YachtNews. I'll use it in the future for sure. Cheers

Far
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.