Click for Alexseal
Click for Nordhavn
Click for Delta
Click for Horizon
Click for McConaghy
Click for MotorCheck
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > Could Zuckerman's billions help the yachting community?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Could Zuckerman's billions help the yachting community?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Could Zuckerman's billions help the yachting community?

Now that he is coming close to being the billionaire, could him and George Soros between them, help rescue the industry...or..would OWS friends derail that adventure ???
dennismc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismc View Post
Now that he is coming close to being the billionaire, could him and George Soros between them, help rescue the industry...or..would OWS friends derail that adventure ???
So much for the no politics thing. :-)
Capt Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

what was political about that ??
Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismc View Post
what was political about that ??
Hopefully you are kidding. If not... are you joking??? Let it go bro! Let's get back to boats...

Besides, Facebook going public is a joke in itself. It's revenue model can't even be substantiated and one day, probably sooner than later, the herd mentality that plagues corporate and small business alike, will all come to the idiots epiphany that Facebook degrades humanity to nothing more than a popularity contest. At best, it's a venue for the narcosist in all of us to overcome a life of quiet desperation in search of notoriety.

(apologies to those who actually use Facebook at Face Value... to keep up with friends)
YachtForums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Amazing how politics keeps jumping in. Smacks of desperation. I'd think the first question would be does he like boats?
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123 View Post
Amazing how politics keeps jumping in.
I digress. My bad. Let's get back to boats...
YachtForums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I havent seen any evidence that any of these guys are boaters or have any style in them but time will tell... not all are born with the nautical vein i suppose... although I do find that most/many success stories are from ppl whose "veins" begin small and then grow...

if the IPO makes an impact to the industry it will likely be from people starting swooping in from the top, making (likely) uninformed decision, getting (likely) burned (at least somewhat), and with a big chance of leaving pissed off, therefore giving the industry even less than it takes away?

Or am i being grim/nostalgic/closed-minded?

EDIT: in direct response to the thread topic: YES, Zucks billions could help the yachting industry. If he throws a few my way I'll make sure of it
RVN-BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
YF Associate Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtForums View Post
Hopefully you are kidding. If not... are you joking??? Let it go bro! Let's get back to boats...

Besides, Facebook going public is a joke in itself. It's revenue model can't even be substantiated and one day, probably sooner than later, the herd mentality that plagues corporate and small business alike, will all come to the idiots epiphany that Facebook degrades humanity to nothing more than a popularity contest. At best, it's a venue for the narcosist in all of us to overcome a life of quiet desperation in search of notoriety.

(apologies to those who actually use Facebook at Face Value... to keep up with friends)
No agenda here, but recently there was an interesting piece where younger folks are increasingly desirous of a more "private" venue and are eschewing Facebook for Twitter.
No Tweety here, but have a FB account solely for the purpose of the various motorcycle gangs I ride with to more easily communicate where/when the next wenching/pillaging takes place.

Hijack over, back to Yachts.
Loren Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Word has it the Zuck has or had a 64 ft Hatt but seasickness may have derailed that adventure.
scuttlebut inside the IT industry is that the future of facebook has the potential to be enormous and the converse is also possible, so many are going to be very wary with the IPO.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

imho the ipo will be bombastic... every f'ing grandma out there wants to buy in on "the facebook"............... business model, or future, that is a completely different argument which doesnt fit here... but i think the ipo is gonna be huge...
RVN-BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtForums View Post
Facebook going public is a joke in itself. It's revenue model can't even be substantiated and one day, probably sooner than later, the herd mentality that plagues corporate and small business alike, will all come to the idiots epiphany that Facebook degrades humanity to nothing more than a popularity contest. At best, it's a venue for the narcosist in all of us to overcome a life of quiet desperation in search of notoriety.
I can not agree with you more. I almost feel like posting that as my FB status today. I liked FB to keep in touch with my professional peers but some how or another FB seems to repeatedly have damaging proprieties of miss information causing problems/issues in real life time. I feel thankful for a website like this that has very useful knowledge that can be benefited from and applied in a useful manner for this yachting industry. If I want useless drama/problem/issues I will go visit FB.
C4ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

I maintain a FB page simply to help people find me and as an addition to LinkedIn, but would never use it for personal posts or communication. I think the venture capitalists who backed the venture are about to make a lot of money, but those who buy in will end up losing big. The recent censorship and the monitoring of FB, Twitter, etc. by governments will sound their swansong IMHO. Plus the 20 & 30 somethings are now learning some hard lessons about being so open about posting their day to day activities. I read last week about the British couple who posted something like they were going to destroy Los Angeles (meaning they were going to party like crazy). They got deported before getting out of the airport.
That said I don't have any idea what this has to do with boating, although I got a kick out of the sea sickness post.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not that it matters much but his name is Zuckerberg. (now maybe he'll buy me a big boat for straightening that out!)
fourinchespyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
YF Wisdom Dept.

If the IPO works as suggested, and they hit the numbers, Zuckerberg's instant tax hit will be from 1-1.5 billion dollars. Now, I don't know about you, but writing that cheque would make me sit back a bit and consider that I'd exceeded my expenditure budget for a wee bet.

There is at least one other individual holding an interest in Facebook that will have done very well, and has an interest in yachts.
Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger View Post
There is at least one other individual holding an interest in Facebook that will have done very well, and has an interest in yachts.
If all goes well the IPO is set to create 1000 new millionaires and 25 Billionaires.. I'm sure there's a couple that like boats
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote