Click for Cape Scott
Click for Delta
Click for Moonen
Click for Bering
Click for Trinity
Click for Nordhavn
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > Costa Concordia sinks off the coast of Italy

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Costa Concordia sinks off the coast of Italy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Hi,

Pretty interesting display.

I wonder when the real data from the VDR will be made public.

VDR was broke..
saltysenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysenior View Post
VDR was broke..
What !!!!

Probably the most reliable piece of equipment on the planet, with 'fail safe', solid state, multichannel recording, cocooned in a virtually indestructible carcass?

How did that happen? Or shouldn't we ask?
revdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #153 (permalink)

Maybe I was a bit hasty there.

Been reading some marine accident cases and it does seem that VDRs have not been quite as reliable as they could be!

Mind you, it appears that the Concordia’s captain was aware that his ship’s VDR had not been working for a couple of weeks before the incident. If she was an aircraft, a faulty data recorder would have been swapped out immediately.

Perhaps this will prompt a change in maritime law / procedure.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #154 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revdcs View Post
What !!!!

Probably the most reliable piece of equipment on the planet, with 'fail safe', solid state, multichannel recording, cocooned in a virtually indestructible carcass?

How did that happen? Or shouldn't we ask?
some sources claim, that only voice recording was out of order, but other data channels were recording properly
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #155 (permalink)

Based on reports I've read, it may take a year or more to remove the ship. I don't think the decision has been made yet on whether to try to refloat her or cut her up as scrap. Either way, it will take quite a bit of time.
carelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #156 (permalink)

That would make one big mess cutting her up.
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
No doubt about that. Weather forced a delay in the operation to remove the fuel and other liquids. Even that will take a month or so.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Given the currents and the size of the ship I believe the are looking at several big messes over the course of months.
Opcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opcn View Post
Given the currents and the size of the ship I believe the are looking at several big messes over the course of months.
Hi,

Would you care to share your tidal data and current forecast for the Island of Giglio that enables you to make such a statement?
K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Hi,

Would you care to share your tidal data and current forecast for the Island of Giglio that enables you to make such a statement?
I haven't exactly got a chart in front of me but the western med. has a general current running clockwise through it, in the spring the currents tend to churn up against the west coast of Italy (and carry nutrients up, which is part of what made the sea so bountiful there) because it's shallow enough to heat the whole water column and build a temperature differential against the relatively cool winter med. water. The island is far enough off the coast that it's going to be catching those currents. Had it happened 6 months earlier their is a gyre that forms just to the south of the area (can't for the life of me remember the name of it) that would present a holding pattern for the debris but instead it will be carried to the relatively shallow and uniform terrain to the north, if typical med. surface patterns hold. this will give the mess lots of time to spread out.

Because it's a cruise ship it's got materials of different density. It's probably got lots of pressboard which won't hold together well but will float to an extent after it's cut up. the metal of course will sink and be relatively containable, but the real worrisome items are things like the carpet, things that are near neutral buoyancy and can ride the slightly faster subsurface currents that are less northerly and more significantly westerly. Some of it will probably churn up on Crete but most of it will probably hit the South of France. The densest stuff (which doesn't really matter much) will be pulled south down with the cooler waters moving to the deeper portions of the sea.

If they do cut it up it's going to be a monumentally long process of cutting (I believe that a chain is the tool of choice) which means that debris will be kicked out for a few days as they work their way through. Then because of the precarious position they will surely have to stop cutting while they hoist out and remove the portion that they have cut away this is another several days (to weeks) time period as I understand it, because it's a huge ship. The currents are moving between 2 knot and 6 depending on the weather and the density of the object if you give it 2 weeks in between periods of cutting (which is stingy I'd imagine) that's between 800 and 2400 statutory miles, it's not going to stay in the water for that long, it will be washed up on shore before the next batch is released. It's slower for surface debris because of the water air interface but just subsurface debris will hit Monaco in about two days.

Ergo several big messes.
Opcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #161 (permalink)

From this BBC report:
Quote:
Italian divers have abandoned their search for bodies inside the wrecked cruise ship Costa Concordia after conditions underwater deteriorated.

"We have definitively stopped the underwater search inside the ship," a spokesman for the fire brigade on the island of Giglio said.
Literally 2 weeks to the day, after the Costa Concordia originally ran aground / and was basically "sunk", the Italian authorities have apparently abandonned all hope of rescuing victims from the submersed parts of the cruise-ship at least.

I found it quite interesting that on the French news yesterday evening, the media interviewed several passengers embarking on another Costa cruise-ship tour, following more or less the identical itinerary of the Costa Concordia aboard a more or less identical cruise-ship. Noone expressed any real concerns in the wake of the Costa Concordia incident...?!

I do have a suggestion however. That cruise-ship operators in future somehow insist that all normal passengers sign a "disclaimer form" before buying their cruise/s, and somehow differentiate their own products from other suppliers. Such as those companies which accommodate adventurous individuals who like to bungee-jump in Papua New Guinea, or other destinations, where the nearest competent hospital is at least 30-60 minutes (helicopter) flight time away but who would never dream of attacking the supplier for receiving serious head injuries (they dress in shorts and have bones sticking out of their cheeks)...?! Unless I'm very much mistaken, in this case, we're talking about a very big and serious holding company owning the cruise ship involved as well as being a, if not, the major player involved in cruise-ships worldwide.

They might well succeed in getting away with paying out Euro 11,000 per surviving passenger aboard the Costa Concordia. Which is far too generous in my opinion - Disney would have made them pay (much less) for a similar but also much less memorable event...?!

Thank goodness though, that the media and other authorities have not released whatever images they might have had of any Hammerhead and other shark squalls venturing into the cruise liner. Apparently (and because of global-warming), the bigger sharks hitherto confined to the eastern Mediterranean (and coming through the Red Sea and canal) have since enlarged their territories. Whereas great Whites once reputedly roamed offshore between France, Corsica and Sardinia during a part of the year, as recently as 2009, their absence today consterns many. Instead of half a dozen great Whites hunting the incresingly rare tunas, the south of France and western Mediterranean countries should beware of the increasing dangers of "man-eating-capable sharks" arriving at their beaches.

Heck, that should add another €3-4 thousand to the settlement...?!

PS. In these difficult economic times, it would not surprise me if the Italian authorities eventually charged Costa Concordia survivors (why not individually, since the cruise-line has offerred them quite favourable terms) in an endeavour to cover all / most of the costs of the government's intervention and rescue efforts of passengers?! The cruise line is a corporation with limited liability. The Italian government (as most governments, have an unlimited liability). There is some difference surely. Especially during these days when 80% of the working populations of most countries are paying for and securing the mistakes of the world's most fortunate 10% (or should that be 1%)...
airship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #162 (permalink)

While waiting for his trial Schettino got a temporary job to help make ends meet.
Attached Images
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelm View Post
While waiting for his trial Schettino got a temporary job to help make ends meet.
Hi,

I saw that on Facebook last week, the caption was it was his first day at work and he wanted to feel at home.
K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #164 (permalink)

Pumping

Tanker arrived on station this morning. Looks like the fuel is good to go.

WebCam Giglio Porto Panoramica | isola-del-giglio | webcam
Attached Images
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #165 (permalink)

It's a bit choppy this morning with the odd heavy breaker.

It will be interesting to see if the sea state has an impact on the ships position. Some Italian websites have her sitting on a sandy shelf at the top of a slope (although how accurate these drawings are is open to question). If she is on sand then there might be some movement.

WebCam Giglio Porto Panoramica | isola-del-giglio | webcam
Attached Images