Click for McConaghy
Click for Moonen
Click for Delta
Click for Westport
Click for McConaghy
Click for Lurssen
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > Cruising to Hawaii from California?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Cruising to Hawaii from California?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cruising to Hawaii from California?

I am new and have a question for you guys...
I was reading a thread here about crossing the Atlantic and I started wondering how long it would take to cross the Pacific. To be more specific what I was really thinking was, how long it would take to get to Hawaii from California on a 40'? If even possible? Not that I am considering doing this but who knows, maybe someday. Motor yacht by the way not sail.
Stefnopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

The short answer to your question is, it all depends. It depends on the type of 40' (which is a bit small to do that trip on it's own bottom unless it's a sailboat or Nordhaven 46'). It depends on how slow you have to go to get the fuel economy and range, how much spare fuel the boat is capable of safely carrying, and hull design and more.
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's about 2400 miles and then about 3900 from there to Japan. Not many 40's carry the fuel for that distance, but you'd be looking at a trawler or a sail for sure in that size.
NYCAP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefnopolis View Post
how long it would take to get to Hawaii from California on a 40'?
The remaining duration of your marriage probably.
Marmot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to work with a gentleman that raced from SF Bay to Hawaii every year in a 52' Santa Cruz sailboat. As I remember it took them somewhere between 7 and 10 days running 24 hours a day at race pace. Then he would fly home and the crew would spend the next 3-4 weeks fighting the current to bring her home.

Is there an option to refuel part way through? Is there a service that can be arranged?
BLouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLouder View Post
I used to work with a gentleman that raced from SF Bay to Hawaii every year in a 52' Santa Cruz sailboat. As I remember it took them somewhere between 7 and 10 days running 24 hours a day at race pace. Then he would fly home and the crew would spend the next 3-4 weeks fighting the current to bring her home.
This is probably the race he did.

Transpacific Yacht Club

Quote:
Is there an option to refuel part way through? Is there a service that can be arranged?
Anything is possible.... if you have the money and are prepared to pay for it.

There were no fuel docks last time I went Honolulu to Seattle on a yacht.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
RER

Quote:
A 50' Pacifca, MAGIC made the trip from Newport Beach with 1,000 gals in fuel tanks, plus drums and bladders and re-fueled at sea from a larger boat.

Also a 48' Pacemaker, the former ZOPILOTE made it from San Diego.
RER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RER View Post
A 50' Pacifca, MAGIC made the trip from Newport Beach with 1,000 gals in fuel tanks, plus drums and bladders and re-fueled at sea from a larger boat.

Also a 48' Pacemaker, the former ZOPILOTE made it from San Diego.
Wouldn't mind sitting down and chatting with the captain on those trips.
BLouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

That would be a very interesting trip in a 40 footer. Or even the 50' Pacifica. Loaded with extra fuel. I'd love to tip glasses with that captain too!

It's a regatta we've been wanting to sail but haven't as of yet. As stated, 7 to 10 days under racing conditions. I know others who have done in 50 to 60' blowboats around the 16 to 20 day mark at a cruising pace.

It's a trip that requires a fair bit of planning, training, and equipment confidence based on the conditions which can vary widely. There is absolutely nowhere to limp in, should you need parts, supplies, medical attention, etc. True blue water sailing.
PropBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

A lot of sailboaters make that trip. Many of them end up parking the boat at Ala Wai marina in Honolulu when the wife says "It's me or the boat!" then takes the next flight home.

Some boats carry on to Shangri-La but not many sail back to the mainland with the original crew onboard. It can be a wretched experience on a containership.
Marmot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

i have matbe the trip a few times it's pretty boring untill the weather get's bad then there is no place to hide all i can say is have all the spare parts you think you will need and then some, a lot of patients and some good bodies that can stand wheel watch if things go good we can cross in about 8to9 days if the weather gets bad and the sea's get mixed up it can take 20 days are more i have seen fish boats make this trip as small as 55 ft but they carried a lot of fuel (if my memory serves me well it was 9000. gallons) there are a lot of variables to deal with good luck if you try this

travler
travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Antonio Torres Registered User posted...

1984 - brazilian Amyr Klink crossed (alone) the South Atlantic in a rowing small boat.
No sails, no engine.
LOA: 5.94 m
Displacement: 1200 kg
Propulsion: human muscles (ocean streams also helped)
Fuel: dry food and water (soft)

Duration: 100 days
Distance: 3500 nm
Old 12-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

I would probably never make it in my 40' haha. I have two 150 gal gas tanks. there would have to be like 3 fueling stations on the way im assuming. I could see how he could make it with a paddle boat because its human propulsion, but I dont understand how or where his supplies would fit. Thats about 18 feet worth of boat. Imagine the cold. Thats crazy if real.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well.. guess its true. Amyr Klink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This man is truly amazing! Wish I heard more about people like this instead of all the worthless bs in the media today.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefnopolis View Post
I would probably never make it in my 40' haha. I have two 150 gal gas tanks. there would have to be like 3 fueling stations on the way im assuming. I could see how he could make it with a paddle boat because its human propulsion, but I dont understand how or where his supplies would fit. Thats about 18 feet worth of boat. Imagine the cold. Thats crazy if real.
300 gallons of "GAS", not diesel? Most of the gas boats I'm familiar with in that size have a range of well south of 200 nm. That's a lot of fuel boats you'd need stationed and the price would probably be upward of $100 a gallon. If you can afford that you might just want to go for a serious passage maker or put up sails.
NYCAP123 is online now   Reply With Quote