Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums

Defever trawlers other budget suggestions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by zudnic, Jun 3, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

Might look at a 1986 57ft Defever trawler this weekend. I'm looking because I've set a budget and size limit being single. Purpose of the thread to see what else max 60ft and priced to a max of $500,000 is out and about. With those in mind what would you be looking at? In other words the "yachting" on a budget to get out on the water thread!
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Defevers are OK and maybe a little above the average older trawler in quality,although as usual maintenance and upkeep is just as important.

on this kind of budget, i'd look at something like a viking or hatteras MY of the same vintage... much better built quality in my opinion. obviously the MY hull will use a little more fuel but fuel is really just a fraction of your overall budget. a little more fuel is a lot cheaper than havign to replace fuel tanks for instance (viking and hatts. have non corroding fiberglass tanks).
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All good info.

To the OP, How do you plan on using the yacht and how much usage?
  4. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

General cruising around on weekends with family mostly. But could end up being by myself. Hence the size limit.

I also thought it would be interesting to see whats available at a realistic level. We all can't afford 80 to well over 100 footers. :D