Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Oceanco
Click for Westport
Click for Burger
Click for MCC
Click for Walker
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > Defever trawlers other budget suggestions

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Defever trawlers other budget suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Defever trawlers other budget suggestions

Might look at a 1986 57ft Defever trawler this weekend. I'm looking because I've set a budget and size limit being single. Purpose of the thread to see what else max 60ft and priced to a max of $500,000 is out and about. With those in mind what would you be looking at? In other words the "yachting" on a budget to get out on the water thread!
zudnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Defevers are OK and maybe a little above the average older trawler in quality,although as usual maintenance and upkeep is just as important.

on this kind of budget, i'd look at something like a viking or hatteras MY of the same vintage... much better built quality in my opinion. obviously the MY hull will use a little more fuel but fuel is really just a fraction of your overall budget. a little more fuel is a lot cheaper than havign to replace fuel tanks for instance (viking and hatts. have non corroding fiberglass tanks).
Pascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal
Defevers are OK and maybe a little above the average older trawler in quality,although as usual maintenance and upkeep is just as important.

on this kind of budget, i'd look at something like a viking or hatteras MY of the same vintage... much better built quality in my opinion. obviously the MY hull will use a little more fuel but fuel is really just a fraction of your overall budget. a little more fuel is a lot cheaper than havign to replace fuel tanks for instance (viking and hatts. have non corroding fiberglass tanks).
All good info.

To the OP, How do you plan on using the yacht and how much usage?
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

General cruising around on weekends with family mostly. But could end up being by myself. Hence the size limit.

I also thought it would be interesting to see whats available at a realistic level. We all can't afford 80 to well over 100 footers.
zudnic is offline   Reply With Quote