Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Cross

viking 48 SF on the bar in St augustine

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Pascal, May 6, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

happened last night according to a Tow boatUS captain that was giving local knowledge to an inbound sailboat. Inlet seems well marked but needs to be respected, like all inlets!

Attached Files:

2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Keep well to the right when entering...
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I'm more inclined to believe that it's a 2008 50' Viking.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds like more problems to come for that inlet. Nobody wants dredging unless they want the sand. Lawsuits can go on forever on these things. Even then the priority can easily end up being replenishing sand to the beachfront homeowners rather than clearing the channel for boat safety. We just had a situation here in Moriches Bay where the main channel disappeared and even the secondary channel is only 1' deep at low tide (4' @ high). After much wrangling over whether dredging should be done, the fight turned to who gets the sand. Finally, after several years, the dredging got done last spring and fall. I was out there yesterday. There are no buoys placed in the new channel yet, and I fear it's because there really is no new channel. From what I can see there may be a narrow cut dug through which won't last long, but at least the beachfront homeowners got their sand that we'll pay for.
    Back in the late 90's there were plans to straighten the channel in Shinnicock Bay. It got to the point where they changed all the charts and placed the buoys in the new location...in 1' of water. The dredging never got done.
    Make sure the City fathers keep their priorities straight. It's amazing how and where to the money can be moved. What they say about boats avoiding the city could well happen. I've been warned not to use that inlet by many. Of course I have used it with no problem (not at night though). St. Augustine is one of my favorite stops. It'd be a shame for them to lose the boating dollars.
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If the waves are 8 feet then you lose four feet on the downside/bottom of the wave. A draft of 4 feet would hit bottom. Depends on how you measure what depth you need....
    Either way the inlet needs to addressed. When I left last spring at dawn there was a boat that ran around the day before I believe, and I had to call on the radio to a sailboat that was heading into certain destruction by missing the small bouy on the south side. He finally responded when I told him there was a good chance he would lose the boat and could die.