Click for Lurssen
Click for Nordlund
Click for Bering
Click for Dockwise
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for MotorCheck
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > Killing more boating jobs

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Closed Thread

Killing more boating jobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Phart

Speaking of jobs...

Just curious as to the effect on charter activity for the Med.

How happy would somebody be seeing a Libyan jet (military type) heading for their yacht moored in Nice? (France was the first credited with downing a Libyan jet, I believe.)
I am very curious myself to see how many vessel decide not to cross over for the med season this summer. Last year when the Iceland volcanoes where shutting down the air traffic, I thought there would be a big impact on charters and vessels operating over there, but it did not seem to, or at least from what I saw while working there last year.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

"This is not the forum for politics, but it is also not the forum for revisionist history. Bush was the biggest disgrace this country has faced since Trickey Dick."

ROFL! why because he kept us safe and didn't appologize to the wolrd on a daily basis?

disgrace? let's look at the most recent 3 democratic presidents shall we? clinton and all his scandals (not just his personal life but you seem to have forgoten his chinese connections and the number of his friends who either died or ended up in jail...)... Carter who turned this great country into a joke for teh rest of the world to disrespect... and Obama who after only 2 years is now challenging Carter for the worst president title!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

OK, politics it is. Bush kept us "safe" by getting us involved in a war using 9/11 as an excuse, except he went after a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. He lied to our citizens, congress and the United Nations about "Weapons Of Mass Destruction" that didn't exist, and never did go after the person responsible for 9/11, and he totallly destabilized that part of the world. As a result of that tens of thousands of our sons and daughters, husbands and wives have died, or been physically and mentally maimed, not to mention the number of innocent Iraqi civilians who have since died. He then bragged that he had it set up that we'd be stuck in that quagmire for the next 100 years. Every time he slipped in the polls he declared a hightened security alert, and sabatoged his own party member (McCaine) to keep him from being a challenger. Bush is a draft dodging coward and bully. Please! As for clinton's "scandals", he had a piece on the side just like virtually every president before him. Big deal! Power is an aphrodesiac. At least it wasn't a page or a guy in a bathroom stall like his detractors. He also ended his term with a surplus in the budget (do you remember that word 'surplus'? It's been a long time since we heard that word.)
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Its not just the federal government in the states. Have a vacation and work property in WA. Local county via the public utility borrowed $100 of millions, maybe even a billion, with very few middle class jobs and small population nor the demand for their excess power output. $60 to $80 million so every house could have fiber. Made a big deal about giving Yahoo huge tax incentives to house their server farms in the county. Um, server farms don't need many employee's. Total waste. Then as a business we had to deal with first the county and then the state. Both hassles that still make me question having a property and business in the area. Add in the federal government and than maybe we start talking real money. Doesn't matter who is running things, its the bi-partisan minions who run government agencies from top down to the bottom.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Oh on the mooring to avoid paying. Canada, like Britain (I believe), the provinces and city don't have jurisdiction over the waterways; here its the federal government. Up until 2006 you could anchor for free in false creek, right in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Took the city years to get the Federal government via Transport Canada to change the rules in the creek. Still a few good places to anchor for free in British Columbia:

From Vancouver Sun Aug 06:

Quote:
Up until last summer, more than 100 boats were permanently anchored in False Creek, their owners living aboard rent- and property tax-free.

Last June, Transport Canada and the City of Vancouver, which has jurisdiction over False Creek, changed the anchoring regulations to limit how long a boat may stay there. The city contended the boat squatters were overcrowding the area and polluting it with their sewage discharge.

Under the new regulations, boaters require a permit to drop anchor in False Creek and can only stay up to 14 days during a 30-day period in high season, and 21 days during a 40-day period in low season.

Since the new regulations went into effect, most of the boat squatters in False Creek have found moorage at local marinas, 11 had to be removed by the Vancouver Police Marine Squad, and one boat sank.
100 boats is a lot, and in this recession wouldn't be surprised if people did this in the states.

new rules:
Quote:
The new False Creek Anchoring permit system (effective August 1, 2006) is designed to improve access for boaters in Vancouverís False Creek.
This regulation allows the City to proactively manage anchoring in False Creek by limiting the amount of time boaters can anchor, and also by ensuring that boaters provide contact information so they can be reached in the event of a problem with their boat. The regulation allows boaters to anchor for shorter periods of time in False Creek, but also ensures that there is some turnover so that all boaters who wish to enjoy the creek may do so.
Boaters are required to obtain a permit to anchor in False Creek for:

Anchoring more than 8 hours during the day (9am to 11pm) or
Anchoring anytime between 11pm and 9am the following day.
Permits are available at the Boater Welcome Centre and are free of charge. The permit will allow boaters to anchor a maximum of 14 full or partial days of 30 days during high season (April 1 to September 30) and 21 days of 40 days in low season (October 1 to March 31). Boaters may extend their stay in False Creek by moving to a marina after their allowable anchoring time has expired.

The intent of the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations for False Creek is not to discourage recreational use of False Creek. Rather, the permit system will provide a safer and less congested environment, and allow more equitable access for all boaters who want to use the waterway.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudnic
I Doesn't matter who is running things, its the bi-partisan minions who run government agencies from top down to the bottom.
Oh so very true. As a true Independent, you can't imagine how it pains me to defend either party. My philosophy has always been, if you want to turn an honest man into a crook, elect him. And it doesn't matter which side they're on. BTW, Carter is and was a wonderful, kind hearted, philanthropic person. But I also lived through his economy (13 3/4% APR on my first mortgage). I'm a firm believer that re-electing a president should be a very unusual occurrence reserved for only the very best. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone who qualified from either party. As for Obama being a lame duck, I think it's great. He got a few good things through while he could. Now not much will get accomplished. Given politics, the best we can hope for is that politicians will be kept from doing harm.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

May be a solution

"more money went into the local economy--repairs, hotel rooms, meals, parts, hookers (kidding!)"

Maybe if the states taxed hookers and their (ahem) clients, homeowners and boat owners could get a break.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistrCoffe
"more money went into the local economy--repairs, hotel rooms, meals, parts, hookers (kidding!)"

Maybe if the states taxed hookers and their (ahem) clients, homeowners and boat owners could get a break.
What kidding? If you add in street level dealers and users I'll vote for you.
Let's see how it sounds: President MistrCoffe. Has a nice ring to it.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Phart
Does the term lame duck ring any bells?

Did not see any way to edit my one bite of the political apple in this thread, so appologies if I offend anyone with another bite.

Okay, time to grab the crayons.

It was mentioned that W's eight years were majoritied by the Repubs.

The Dems were running the show (how could anyone forget Nancy P so soon?) the last two (2) years of W's second term.

Hence, the term Lame Duck. This is in reference to W's second tern; not a reference to an anti-war, community activist's inability to be a leader.

Nancy P needed two attempts to get TARP 1 passed.

Why?

Because she bashed W just prior to the first vote and lost the few needed Repubs (some Dems were afraid of being unseated if they voted for TARP 1, hence the need for some Repubs) for passage.

After some damage control, and keeping her mouth shut long enough for a vote on the second attempt, TARP 1 passed.

Thank Nancy and her fellow Dems; not the Repubs for the bailouts.

Again, sorry if I offended with a second bite of the political apple; but I thought it best to grab the crayons to make my thought more clear.

Hey, I'm trying my best; although, there are those who say I'm very trying!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Killing more jobs

I always thought that Governments were supposed to provide a welcoming, safe, secure environment for business to operate in and for the employees to feel safe and secure within their residences.

Seems today Government wants to expand into everyones life, take your hard earned dollars and supposedly make your life more enriched, who are these people magicians ?? because it appears more and more they actually squander your dollars and give you serious debt problems, yet, for some reason they cannot see that or admit to it...

It's time their feet were really held to the fire.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismc
I always thought that Governments were supposed to provide a welcoming, safe, secure environment for business to operate in and for the employees to feel safe and secure within their residences.

Seems today Government wants to expand into everyones life, take your hard earned dollars and supposedly make your life more enriched, who are these people magicians ?? because it appears more and more they actually squander your dollars and give you serious debt problems, yet, for some reason they cannot see that or admit to it...

It's time their feet were really held to the fire.
Can tell you're from Vancouver, one of the safest, most cosmopolitan cities in the world. Care to tell us where exactly that government you described exists? Don't think it's Libya or China . The U.S., Canada, Australia, and a few European countries make a fair effort, but power corrupts and.......
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

Killing jobs

As usual, you persist in reading into posts, information that is not implied. Nowhere have I indicated that such a Government existed.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

So then you want to hold someone's feet to a fire for not doing what you know that nobody does. Sounds like an exercise in frustration.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Hum de dum........
Attached Images
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
You seem to have developed a selective memory. The last time Tort reform (and the line item veto for that matter) were issues was under the Clinton administration, but he couldn't get the support from Congress nor the Senate. Between his and the current administration there was 8 years of a Republican administration with a Republican controlled Senate & Congress during which these things were never mentioned and our national debt soared to unheard of heights resulting in the collapse of our economy.
This is not the forum for politics, but it is also not the forum for revisionist history. Bush was the biggest disgrace this country has faced since Trickey Dick.
And King Obama is fiscally responsible? Get real. Look at what he has spent from the beginning of his term. What has the debt done since he took office? It is outrageous.

Republicans only just got a say. what was going on for the last two years. Try to remember both sides.
Closed Thread