Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Fugly Boats

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Marmot, Feb 25, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

ROGUES THREAD DISCUSSION
    (Because Life's Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat)

The Rogues Thread

I know this boat has been here before somewhere but it's worth a repeat. This thing is so ugly it doesn't get any better going away!

Attached Files:

2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I had to leave a marina a couple of weeks ago because this thing was so offensive to my boss!
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I hear there are two identical boats ... ugly sisters.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

You are correct. Ocean Emerald and Ocean Pearl.

I couldn't help but think they looked like something from the 70s TV Show Mork and Mindy....
    "Mork Calling Orson. Come In Orson..."
  5. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

well....at at least they don't have to worry about the varnish beginning to spider web..:eek:
  6. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Kudos for taste and my thanks to your boss.
  7. carelm

carelm Senior Member

It could have been worse. They could have removed the arches and made it truly ghastly. I wonder how many people will get their backsides cauterized when they try sitting on bare metal on a sunny day.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Where exactly do you see the bare backside burning metal on it?
  9. carelm

carelm Senior Member

The top picture looks like three people are sitting on the roof just forward of the flying bridge. However, the picture isn't clear enough to make out any sunpads if so equipped.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I wouldn't expect to find sunpads there, but doubt they'd be there if it were scorching. However, if the captain throws it in reverse they may have one heck of a slide.:eek:
    Have to give the designer kudos for innovative design, but I'm personally glad his taste isn't too contagious.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I didn't see any and I looked as they went by!
  12. carelm

carelm Senior Member

yacht plus dot com

Here's a link to the website of the yacht in question. The interior isn't much better than the exterior IMHO. It doesn't look all that liveable or appealing. That may be more a matter of personal taste though. I prefer the more traditional looks though.
  13. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

it would take 2 days and 9 people to wash and chamois that thing.....how do the owners get insurance to cover the crew who have to ''hang on by the suction of their navel '' [Capt. Bill Darrel] to maintain it ????:confused:
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Maybe they pay that position in cash and just hire replacements when they find unattended suction cups.:rolleyes:
  15. nilo

nilo Senior Member

well, i had the chance to view this boat in monaco. i do not want to comment whether she is ugly or beautiful; as this is a mater of taste. we have a saying in turkish "the baby crow is the most beautiful to its mother"; so who knows what mr foster thinks...

however, i want to comment about some design faults, which are mere facts. will start to share my observation from the flybridge.
    1- yes these people are sitting on the "roof", because there is only a cresent like settee looking aft and the bulwarks are so high you see only the arc, nothing else.
    2- bulwarks extending to the fly; arc next to the stairs from the aft until the flybridge are slopped in such a way, when you walk next to it you hit your head.
    3- there is a sharp edge glass stair in the salon going down to the quest cabins below; very dangerous to negotiate even when the boat is standing still in the marina.
    4- there is a useless balcony in the master cabin and due to high bulwark you should stand to see anything.
    5- pilothouse is a complete disaster, your view is obstructed and at night you will not see what is around you.
    6- in heavy seas negotiating the stairs to move to the foredeck is dangerous. no proper hand holds.

my opinion, designers somehow should keep in mind that boat float and move on the water....
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It would make a pretty cool looking office building or theater.:rolleyes:
  17. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

This could be the winner for today...

Seen in Nice, France. Has been afloat for quite some time though.
    Some Diogenes Guy seems to live aboard.

Attached Files:

18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I used to pass that boat every day in Antibes, I thought the darned thing would have sunk by now.

Oh well, we live in hope.
  19. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Oops, you´re right, was Antibes, at the fishermen´s corner of the port. It´s a while ago since I saw it last time (2 years), but then again I´ve seen it afloat 6 or 7 years again and again, never moved farther than the docking lines allowed but it was , surprisingly, afloat all the time. Even right side up. not talking about esthetical value here, but at least something seemed to be right with that "thing".
  20. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Just looking through this thread....and loved this comment :D