Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for McKinna
Click for Nordlund
Click for Llebroc
Click for Delta
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > New and Need Some Information

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

New and Need Some Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot
It ain't over yet!
Hi,

That's what I mean.

I am not sure the increase in regs and paperwork since I was last at sea will be quite so much fun though.

At least I will be getting large tranches of time off to enjoy my own adventures to compensate for the added workload when onboard.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

An express is just aboard the worst boat for this,why wouldnyou want to be stuck living in a cave while in some of the most scenic location in the world!

Speed isn't important since distances are pretty small. Even a trawler can cover the distance between most islands in a day

Size matters though and while you can do it in a 35/40 footer storage and tankage will be limited. It will be camping not "yachting" . Moreover there some open sections where a larger boat will make things easier. Obviously the crossing to the bhamas and from the TC tonthe Carib but also some open areas like between the VIs and St Maarten, around Antigua, etc

If you don't want to anchor out away from civilization off a nice beach or deserted island/cay you will be missing the best part of island cruising. There are many safe and protected anchorages away from civilization

No license needed unless you taken paying pax

Customs: you need to clear in whenever you come in a different country. Bahamas is one country so that s easy. In the Carib it s alittle more complex since many islands are independent or possession of various European countries so you have to clear in which is no big deal

Nav: redundant gps with electronic charts and paper charts as back up.

Cruising guides (paper or on line) are good resources, plenty of them. Start with www.******************
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

"Size matters though and while you can do it in a 35/40 footer storage and tankage will be limited. It will be camping not "yachting" ."

While bigger can be better, cruising in, say, a 42' GB trawler is hardly camping. :-)

I had 600 gallons of fuel for a 90% range of 900+ nm at 9 knots. And almost 300 gallons of water on mine. Plus genset, full A/C, queen sized master with split head/shower, two other sleeping cabins and a second head/shower, holding plate fridge/freezer, oven/stove/micro/TVs, lots of deck area both aft and on the flybridge, etc, etc.

Other brands of trawlers offer the much the same. And there are a lot of them out there for sale right now. Along with all the rest of the brands and types out there.
Capt Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Bill, you're right but as we both know there is a big differnce between 35 and 42, and even more if comparing a 35 express with a 42 trawler!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

True.

I guess I didn't realize you were still talking about express boats. I was just replying to this:

"Size matters though and while you can do it in a 35/40 footer storage and tankage will be limited. It will be camping not "yachting" .

An express in that size range would be like camping. A step or two above a tent but still camping compared to "yachting".
Capt Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

That is a very good average speed for a boat that size going in that direction.

You must have got lucky with the winds.

Like you I did a long distance delivery, In my case a NZ to Panama run on a sailboat, that is still the greatest adventure of my marine life so far.
When we arrived in Lautoka I spotted a wooden sloop in the marina that was not longer than 18 feet. It could almost have been our tender so to speak. I asked around and found out that the boat belonged to an Englishman whose girlfriend had left him for NZ. As he had no funds to fly he build himself a boat from scrap wood and sailed from the UK to NZ. After arriving he realised that he preferred sailing above his girlfriend and decided to continue up to Fiji. This guy was taller than me (6'7'') and had long black hair and a wild beard. I wonder wether he is seen in other marinas over the world. This was May 2005.

Indeed, sailing in these conditions is camping. One shower every 2 days from a pressurised spray bottle and bolognese sauce with corned beef ...
tirekicker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
he preferred sailing above his girlfriend and decided to continue
Yeah, that's the reason. Nothing to do with his GF kicking him to the curb after his "long black hair and a wild beard" showed up after sailing across the world on a boat made of scap wood, and with no funds. How could she have let such a catch get away?
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
Yeah, that's the reason. Nothing to do with his GF kicking him to the curb after his "long black hair and a wild beard" showed up after sailing across the world on a boat made of scap wood, and with no funds. How could she have let such a catch get away?
Nearly pi**ed myself laughing when reading your entry
Sure, that's another way to look at it.
tirekicker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #24 (permalink)

Well, thanks for all of the input. I basically wanted to get an idea if this was even feasible to do in a smaller yacht. With everyones help it seems it is and even in a less than 50' EC or trawler. I agree that camping off the coast of remote island beaches would be awsome. When I said by civilizaton I should have been more clear. I mainly meant near land of some sort. Thanks again and if anyone has any further advice or suggestions, they are always appreciated.
Sooner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

Keep in mind it can often come down to a few bad moments.
I asked a friend who is an airline pilot if he gets bored on "long haul" flights where they are basically watching that the auto-pilot is doing its job.
His answer was that it all comes down to those few moments every now & then when "it all goes wrong"!
That is when the experienced, trained persons, or in your case prepared, makes the difference.
He gave me some examples where less than 5 minutes of pilot intervention probably saved a few hundred lives.
Not saying you should not try for yourself, you should GO FOR IT!
Just keep in mind, when there is a real problem, you should have some sort of preparation.
A 23' boat can do the job of even the finest yacht......until things go wrong. I know this because this was my first boat & an overnight deep sea fishing trip was no problem at that time A LONG time ago!
Now I know better & 20 plus boats later, I would not risk it!
Kafue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Thanks and I understand. I have a healthy respect for the sea. It is intriguing, but I wouldn't let my curiosity get me in trouble beyond my skill level. Preparation and education of teh task at hand would be at the top of the list. I also understand that the size of the vessel is important as well. I do have another question about safety. How do you protect yourself while at sea? I am sure there are certain guidelines/protocols to keep you out of harms way as you travel across the expanses of the ocean and into waters beyond the security of the US borders.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

Your safety is largely dependent on the quality of your weather reports and your ability to read them properly. Here's a link for Dial-A-Buoy: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/West_Caribbean.shtml. Explore the site. Forecasting is very much an art, but this gives you what is actually happening at a given location.
Your lifeline is you VHF radio, plus satalite phones, etc.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #28 (permalink)

One other thing about personal safety. What about piracy? Anyone ever run into anything like that? With all olf the impoverished islands and all. What about along the Mexican border to Cancun. I've been to Mexico several times (on land) along the Mayan Riviera and never felt there was an issue, but with all of the issues along the US border I didn't know if there were issues at sea? I was just wondering about personal protection and how you manage these issues, if they are actually issues?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner1
One other thing about personal safety. What about piracy? Anyone ever run into anything like that? With all olf the impoverished islands and all. What about along the Mexican border to Cancun. I've been to Mexico several times (on land) along the Mayan Riviera and never felt there was an issue, but with all of the issues along the US border I didn't know if there were issues at sea? I was just wondering about personal protection and how you manage these issues, if they are actually issues?
Crime is more of a problem than piracy in the areas you're talking about. These days I'd be very concerned traveling through Mexico & Central America. There was a man slain just recently in Honduras when he and his daughter put into a secluded cove during a storm. Check the search feature under pirates and you will get plenty of info. There has been much written here on that subject & personal protection in general. Basically, it's the same as on land, i.e. don't go to some areas and always be aware of your surroundings.