Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Easing entry into foreign jurisdictions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by dan1000, Dec 7, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dan1000

dan1000 Member

I'm going to take my boat from Ft. Lauderdale to the Pacific Northwest in 2011, and will stop along the way in the Bahamas, Caymans, San Andres (Colombia), Panama, Costa Rica, and Mexico.

My question is this: Is there a "best" way to minimize entry/exit hassles at each country/port, over and above the obvious of being polite, organized, and respectful? I'm wondering whether there is any point in working with some sort of "service" for checking in/out, or indeed even if it is possible to do so.

Also, without wanting to start a religious war, I'm interested in any advice people might want to offer about organizing the Panama Canal transit.

I should perhaps mention that my idea of a "bad" entry is where one has to hoof it for three miles into town, spend 4 hours with various officials filling out forms ad infinitum, grease the wheels, and still have to come back tomorrow to get it all finished off. I accept that some of this might be necessary, but would far prefer to minimize this particular aspect of boat travel.

Thanks -- Dan

PS: The boat is a 63' trawler, US flagged, with all those onboard being either American or Canadian.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, certain places in a country are easier to check in and out of then others. Bimini for example is easy and you can dock and go right into customs and immigration. Nassau is a royal pain and you have to wait hours and hours for them to come to the boat. In mexico, skip Isla Mujeras and go to Cancun to Marina Hacienda Del Mar and deal with Berto the dockmaster, he is a customs agent and it's painless. Plus they have fuel, dockage and everything you need and Berto is a really good guy. Talk to and make friends with the Dockmaster of each marina you're staying at, and tip them well and they'll get customs moving for you. I wouldn't necessarily deal with an agency for customs. Greasing the wheel is pretty much the norm for everywhere you go on a yacht.

As for the Panama canal, definately get an agent and use their line handlers. It is money well spent and will save you LOTS of time and LOTS of hassle. Also have plenty of cigarettes, sodas, food, and such on board to keep the line handlers happy. Happy line handlers ensure a happy transit through the Panama Canal as the safety and asthetics of your yacht are totally in their hands.
  3. dan1000

dan1000 Member

Thanks Capt J. I appreciate the guidance. Perhaps I will be able to contribute something useful back to you in the future.

Dan