Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for JetForums

Mile Marker question

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by artressa, Dec 6, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. artressa

artressa New Member

I'm used to using 'channel markers' to identifiy areas. On my northbound ICW trip everyone (marinas, fuel, etc.) seem to identify their locations by 'mile markers'. I see these nowhere on the cartridge that I bought for my Northstar 6000i. I see the MM on some paper charts but not on our Chartplotter. We are currently using the Navionics Gold cartridge. We are at a marina on the ICW right now...Palm Coast...and will be leaving again in the morning. If anyone could please tell me, asap, where to find the MM on the GPS/Chartplotter, if in fact they are there at all, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I must ask it.

Thanks, Carol :)
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

MM are on the paper charts, i havent' seen them on chips.

if you have the electronic version of NOAA paperchart (on a PC) the MM are there too (every 5 miles)

I always have the paper charts handy at the helm (Kettlewell ICW chartbook is a must have) so it never bothered me not to have them on the plotter.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's probable that the OP has filtered the MMs out via the detail settings or (most probably) by not zooming in enough. They should be there. It is easier to spot on the paper charts though which is why I always follow on a paper chart as well. Try this, locate a MM on your paper chart. Go to that area on you plotter and begin to zoom in until you see it. If that fails go into the menu and look for the detail setting and set it at 'most'.
  4. artressa

artressa New Member

MM Question

Thankyou sooo much PascaL and NYCap! This has been driving me crazy and both of your answers have given me direction. Safe sailing and have a nice holiday :p
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

BTW, you do realize that you're heading in the wrong direction for this time of year. You're going from cold to colder.:( Good luck, stay safe and try to stay warm. Also, as you travel look out for the small white signs with black lettering that show the mile making. They're not everywhere but there are a lot of them.