Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Compare Hatteras to Burger

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by bally, Nov 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bally

bally Guest

I am thinking of looking at a 1994 70 foot Hatteras or a 1977 72 foot Burger, both are listed with Allied Marine, and would like advice on the pros and cons of each yacht. Thanks.
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Burger VS Hatteras

If you are prepared to learn and look after an Aluminum boat and an older vessel along with older everything on board and the price is way better, go with the Burger.
    my 2c
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Both are very good boats but you are comparing apples and oranges. Lots more maintenance on the burger obviously.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, the Hatteras is going to be a lot cheaper to maintain on average. With the age of the Aluminum on the Burger you may be looking at doing some maintanence to the Aluminum. Also the Burger is going to be a 32 volt boat which will make it a little harder to find parts. The 70' hatteras has a nice ride and a nice layout.
  5. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

What is a 32 V vessel? I have not scene 32V before, where does 32V come from? It is not 12 x 2 I know., or 12 x 3.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most yachts in that size range prior to 1988 operated on 32 volts DC, It is made up typically of 4- 8 volt batteries, and most people use batteries designed for a golf cart which are very close in size to an 8D 12 volt battery. Therefore, light bulbs, bilge pumps and such are a little harder to find.
  7. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Yes, you are definitely not seeing a lot of 32V merchandise on the shelve at Waste Marine.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Actually you do. They usually have some bulbs, 2000 gph rules, etc

It s really not a big deal. Good shops can rebuild alternators and starters

The only issue is when you want upgrade some systems like heads, oil change pumps, windlass, water pumps etc On my boat I have a 12v subpanel for a few things fed by the 12v inverter bank. Seems complex but it is not unsual to find 12v devices on 24v boats anyway
  9. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

My 1984 Bertram 54 has a 32V system (4x8D Batteries) per side ... the alternators on the engines are 32V to charge the batteries and a AC Charger too. Several of the systems on the boat are 32V including some of the bilge pumps, starters for the engines, some lighting, the macerators etc.

There is also a 12V system consisting of a single 12V battery per side charged by the alternator on the generator and an AC charger.

I have a 24V davit that operates off an invertor.

So far, I have not had very little trouble maintaining the 32V system. Parts are largely available. I did find that the existing 32V engine room lighting was no longer available and replaced it with 120V AC lighting.

Mike
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Parts are available, but you're not going to find them travelling. You have to keep a lot of spares on-board.

As for the West Marine having 32 volt stuff, I have NEVER seen anything 32 volt in their store, let alone 24 volt stuff. Most Waste Marines you cannot even find a 24 volt light bulb or bilge pump.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well not only have i seen some but bought some :)

They have plenty of 24 v bulbs, pumps, etc as well. I ve also gotten 24v items off the shelf at many locAtions along the east coast

What they don't have much off the shelf is "big boat" stuff like big anchors etc but their pro service is very good at getting it to you fairly quickly
  12. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

32 volt supplies

starters, alternators, pumps, bulbs....all 32 v dc available off the shelf.

PNW suppliers, no problems...
  13. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I'm glad you've had good luck with them. But after getting my Pro. Captains Services account setup with them I tried to place my first order with it. Gave them all the parts, shipping and contact info they needed, never heard a word back from them. Then I got a survey asking how they did. Told them not very good IMO. Never heard back on that either. I've had better luck with my West Port Supply account in the passed.

Based on that I think I'll stick with National for out of town/country orders.