Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Lifeboat / fire safety drills

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by colintraveller, Nov 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

How often are such drills ? and do all new crew and current have to take regular Fire safety courses like every 6 months or is it 3 due to the nature of the Job
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Lifeboat ( abandon ship), Man Overboard and Fire Drills are carried out onboard as per the SMS.

There is a role in each of these for all crew to participate in it.

Sea Survival, First Aid, CPSC & RB and Fire Fighting Courses for which a Certificate of course completion is issued and are done through a shore based institution such as the one in Sth Shields.

These do not generally have to be re done for the holders of UK Tickets anyway.
  3. colintraveller

cheers
  4. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

STCW 95 is valid for 5 years
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That is quite a sweeping statement.

Would you care to explain what it actually means?
  6. tirekicker11

The STCW 95 Fire fighting, Elementary First Aid, Personal Survival Techniques and Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities certificates are usually the minimum requirements employers ask for regardinging safety certification of crew.
    These certificates expire 5 years from the date of issue.

Maybe this does not apply to OP's situation but from what I could make up from his question I guess he's after something like STCW 95, correct me if I'm mistaken.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think someone has given you some incorrect advice.

I have never redone any of mine although I would not object if a refresher was asked for when I next renew my CoC.

Take a look here: http://www.redensigntraining.com/faqs.aspx

Approx half way down you will find a heading: STCW registration

Under this title you will find:

Q) How long do the STCW certificates last?
    A) The personal survival techniques, personal safety and social responsibilities, and fire fighting all last for life. First aid is renewable every three years.
  8. tirekicker11

K1W1,

I got mine in April 2005 in New Zealand. All the certs (apart from Elementary First Aid) state that they expire after 5 years. Elementary first aid expires after 2 years (in line with Red Cross, St. Johns and EFR).

It does makes sense to me because I consider it meaningfull going back in that fire fighting simulater every once in a while.

I will contact STCW for their advice concerning my certs.

Cheers.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might be able to guess from my Screen Name where I am from originally.

When I got involved in the UK system I had to re do my Fire Fighting and First Aid prior to getting a UK STCW78 CoC.

I have just dragged them out and had a look, they do not show any expiry dates on them.

I had to do one additional course prior to getting my ticket changed to STCW 95 and that was CPSC & RB. This involved amongst other things rowing a wooden lifeboat in the River Tyne in Feburary in a heavy snow fall - This is not a course I am looking forward to a refresher of.

My STCW 95 Certificate of Competency does expire every 5 yrs, it can be renewed by showing qualifying seatime and producing a valid ENG 1 Medical Certificate.

Maybe it's a scam from the issuing authority to extract some more money from holders.
  10. colintraveller

From all the visuals i have seen of yachts .. only a few i have seen that have visual lifeboats .. for those that happen to own or work on yachts who's LB are out of view ..

How long does it take to lower boats from the moment the captain / owner announces abandon ship .. is there a set time limit
  11. tirekicker11

K1W1,

I send an equiry to STCW 95 and they came with this reply:

"Periods of validity vary depending on what they are used for. First Aid for USCG licensing purposes needs to be less than one year old regardless of whether or not the card says 2 years. For STCW purposes, the training needs to be repeated every FIVE years."

Cheers