Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Anyone familiar with the Norseman 48 motor yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by 84far, Nov 11, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi All,

I have a family friend heading over to the USA, and while his over there, him and his wife are having a look at a Norseman 48. So I was wondering if anyone here had any thought on the vessel...?

From what I have found, they are made in Taiwan...? Would there be anything wrong with the vessel a few years down the track in regards to how well the boat is built...?

Also, bringing a boat from the USA to Australia, would there be a lot of changing in regards to electrics to comply/work with AUS systems...?

Far
  2. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

I don't know this boat but I have shipped boats over to Australia aboard container ships and this is quite an operation.
    All liquids need to be drained before departure (Fuel, Water, possibly Aircon and refridgerator coolant. All wood needs to be fumigated and a certificate needs to be obtained. Hull needs to be clean, fenders and lines too.
    When it comes to the actual transport you'll need a cradle made. When it is a wooden cradle it needs to be fumigated.
    You'd like to remove all outside parts that might get damaged during a storm; bimini, horns, wipers, antennae etc.
    Boat should be wrapped in tarp or shrink wrapped but preferably first covered with fire retardent blanket.
    Try to get the cradle positioned just forward of carrier's super structure to avoid got tar from the chimney landing on your boat and burning in the gelcoat.
    Better is to remove all electronic equipment from the boat and leave the entry door /hatches unlocked.
    Have a survey done before and during loading so that you can claim missing items from your insurance once you receive the boat.
    (I once received a new yacht with a complete smashed up interior because the carrier's crew wanted the Raymarine plotter and couldn't be bothered properly dismantling the panel)
  3. 84far

84far Senior Member

tirekicker11,

Thanks, and wow, what a mission (and what pricks to steal you Ray)! What size boat and how much did it cost in just the freight...?

I was told the builder has been around for a while, but I'm surprised it hasn't made it into Australia...? I'm guessing standards of the build in some areas...?

Far
  4. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

I have imported various boats from Europe and the USA and I frequently sold powerboats from Hong Kong to Australia in the 32' to 75' range.
    I don't know anymore what we paid for shipping to Australia but we used ZIM to ship from from the USA and Safmarine to ship from Europe.
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Importing a boat from the US

Hi Far,
    With all due respect to tirekicker, I have imported a few boats from the US and he make it sound like a nightmare, which is not the case. In fact one is on the way now.
    1. You DO NOT have to drain all fluids.
    2. A licence can be obtained from AQIS as a "One Time Importer" and the type of refrigerant gas, it's charge etc needs to be noted. I have had more than a bit of assistance with this from the department who were GREAT in their attitude, so do not be put off by all the red tape.
    3. Fumigation: Depending on who you speak to, this is made into a big deal that scares a lot of people off (same with the electrical changeover). You DO NOT need fumigation. In the past, the gas they used was highly toxic and affected both the linings, soft furnishings and even the wiring,then the gas was changed to a more "green" type, yet you still do NOT have to go down this path, in spite of the fact that many people are saying so! In 2007 I imported an Offshore 58 and was told I had to get fumigation, instead I used a specially trained dog, a beagle, that can sniff out the bad bugs immediately. The Quarantine guys accepted this and it saved a lot of money and damage. ALL the other yachts that were on the same cargo ship with my Offshore were being fumigated, or had been fumigated in the US. there was a lot of confusion. Some had to be fumigated again on arrival in Australia. The beagle is a whole story on it's own and very interesting....another time!
    4. Electrical conversion: I did a full conversion on my Offshore. About $30,000, which meant we left the main appliances (ovens, Aircon, Fridges, Freezers etc as 110v or 220v) and then changed the generator to produce 230v and added Aussie HPM's (outlets). For the US appliances, we passed their feed through a transformer thar converted the power to 110 or 220v. Do not think US 220 is the same as Au 230v, It is not. BUT do not ask me to much detail as I am NO SPARKIE and best to speak to the guys at GCCM or PM me and I will give you some numbers. This time I am adding a transformer from ACME and hoping all goes well. I will not be doing a full conversion. Just adding some Aussie outlets. the Hertz is a issue you can bring up with those who know more than I, but again, it's no big deal.
    5. Hull needs to be pressure cleaned. Shrink wrap if possible but at 48 ft gets hard.
    6. Yes, remove all clears, strata and anything that could break. Protect electronics. But insurance is there for a good reason.
    7. Cradles: This is the work of whoever is transporting the yacht.

In a nutshell; there are many very professional yacht transport companines now. I have used different brokers and it makes a big difference who you use. There is one transporter advertising on this site that is terrific.
    PM me for any assistance
    As for NORSEMAN, the only ones I have seen on YW were timber which I like BUT would NOT buy, heartbreakers!
    And now that I have said all this, heres hoping I have not put the MOKKIE on my Hatteras which arrives soon:cool:
  6. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Chris Norseman's wooden sportfishing boats of the 1960s and 1970s are not the Taiwan-built Norseman motorachts of the last decade.