Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Abeking

New superyacht hull on the rocks in Norway

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Innomare, Nov 4, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

Is it just me or are we getting a lot of accident-related news lately?
    This superyacht hull was apparently being towed from Murmansk to Hamburg when the tow rope broke. The hull ended up on the rocks in Norway.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/16456854" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/16456854">Yachtskrog på grunn</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/nssr">Redningsselskapet</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

From the Barentsobserver.com:

Russian mega-yacht hull ashore outside Norway
    2010-11-01
    Yacht hull ashore outside Norway (Photo Nssr.no)

The hull of a mega-yacht constructed at the Sevmash shipyard outside Arkhangelsk tore away during tugging to Germany and run ashore in Vesterålen, Northern Norway.

The 68 meter long steel hull of the oceanic mega-yacht was being tugged from Northern Russia to Hamburg, Germany, were it was supposed to be completed, when it broke free from the Polish tug and ended up in the rocks outside Stø in Vesterålen, NRK reports.

The weather in the area is bad, and all attempts to pull the boat away from the rocks, have so far failed.

Construction of hulls for luxury yachts is one of the fields where Sevmash is trying to get a foothold besides the comprehensive military production the shipyard is known for. The hull was launched at Sevmash only last week, the company’s web site reads.

The yacht would probably be worth about NOK 300 million (€36.7 million) after completion, NRK writes.

More news on the website of the Norwegian Society for Sea Rescue:
    http://www.nssr.no/Nyheter/Nyhet?key=117286

and on:
    http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.7361516

Bruno
  2. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

Apparently, it's impossible to embed vimeo video's, so you here's the link:

http://vimeo.com/16456854

[​IMG]
    (Photo Nssr.no)

Sad event, but what a beautiful location!
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With all the money,luxury and glamorous lifestyles brought to the toys of today it can almost be forgotten that the sea is a very hostile environment. Ships and boats sink or have other disasters all the time. It's just more notable when it's a mega yacht.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would like to see a yard in Germany that can build and out fit a 68m Luxury Yacht for that price.

I can have a few clients who would jump at a deal like that.
  5. captain_jack

captain_jack New Member

Tell me I'm not the only one ? :rolleyes:
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Waves were 19 to 22 feet when the tow broke.

Now down to 12 feet.

Somebody underestimated the weather in Vesterålen this time of the year.
    (A group of islands on Norway's North-West coast.)

Got a cottage on the beach in Vesterålen, beatiful in the summer, not so in the fall/winter..:(
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Could it be that the Polish tug boat crew were sipping too much of that Russian Vodka they got when they picked the boat up at the yard?
  8. brunick

brunick Senior Member

even though i don't have the money, i would also know some people who would jump that deal :D
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, probably a typical fall storm with hurricane strenght winds and an empty hull dancing on the 20 feet waves like a bronco.

Perhaps the crew had to cut the tow to save the tug...?

Another pic:

[​IMG]
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do you think they'll salvage her, or she is now a permanent reef on the rocks there?
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

She is floating and now in the harbor.

Lots of damage underneath and only the air inside the hull keeps her floating.
    The local yard will not do the repair job, and no decision has been made where to take it.

[​IMG]
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wonder if she has the machinery installed in the hull. It looks like it would be because the 1st level deck is already installed, unless they did that for transporting reasons to make the hull water tight for towing, like a barge is. You'd think the local yard would be willing to make temporary repairs to the hull, even if they had to weld plates on the inside of it, so they could tow it again. You can tell the hull has a lot of water inside.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I seriously doubt if any of the machinery was installed in it other than the Bow Thruster Gearbox/Tube.

The shipyards in Germany and elsewhere often build their hulls where it is cheapest and the time frame fits. Not many mega yacht builders build the boats 100% in house.

At 68m a lot of her forward of the E/R Bulkhead should be double bottom so if the tank lids are on or can be fitted that takes care of a lot of the bottom of the hull.

I have done a bit of sniffing around and can't get a definite answer on where it was actually headed for.
  15. Seems project LIZA or STRIKER at B+V. much cheaper to build and weld the hull base in cheaper country man forces and materials, you know. Sorry about post. Then costs can drop a lot for the finishings clean asked.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi, The second line of my post above yours states that the place of construction is often dictated by costs. So no new info there.

Liza and Striker are both shown as being over 100m, the hull shown on the rocks could not be stretched that far even by a yard as big and skilful as B and V.

Any more ideas on what it might be?
  17. I agree for Striker, but i see the similarities with Liza too identical, designer from east, so and was zoomy down. For sure it were be further built by BV.
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

According to the local newspapers, the nearest yard does not have the capacity to do any repairs and the owners are seeking a permit to tow it further to a bigger yard that can do proper repairs.

Right now she is floating on trapped air in the hull...:(

There is some specualtion she was being built for a Russian owner.

The hull was headed for Hamburg and will continue the journey after repairs to the bottom is complete.
    The latest blurb says they found a yard not to far away and that the hull should be in the slipway right now.

[​IMG]

This picture is from Alsvåg just before the hull goes up on the hard.
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Getting the slipway ready last night...

[​IMG]
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It seems this boat is not what it first appears to be.

The hull was built by a Russian guy who never managed to finish it, after 5/6 years only the steelwork was done, he onsold it for a reported large number and it was being towed to B & V in Hamburg to be finished.

It was I am told going to be this: http://www.h2yachtdesign.com/nb70.php?p=65nbrear