Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

Sub runs aground in UK

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Oct 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Caught that and was going to post, then saw your post. Great minds think alike?:rolleyes:
    In fact it came up again. http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/14808-ferry-capsize.html#post114993
    My eyes were still blurry. Not sure about Revdcs at 11:31. Guess we'll stick with the great minds theory.:D Sorry about all the bandwith Carl.:eek:
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There is bit on the goggle box in the UK now as they try to pull it free.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Has the skipper tried landing a chopper or a Harrier on deck yet? Must be worth a bit of a grant somewhere.

The UK Govt. is commited to scrap HMS Ark Royal (very old carrier) real soon and also build 2 new carriers ( Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales) Unfortunatley they forgot to order any planes that work to land on them.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0jgZKV4N_A&feature=related
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Haven't they announced that they don't need any as they are going to share the flat tops with the French Allies :D?

Sure I saw that on the Beeb last night I think it was.

Interesting that the tug that pulled the sub off was consigned to the scrap heap along with one of the RN's few Aircraft Carriers earlier this week by the "Strategic" review.

There will however still be plenty of money available to grant asylum to Gay Saudi Princes when they are out of jail for murdering their rent boys.
  8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I think if they park both carriers end to end it will make the perfect bridge between France and England on the Dover Straits. Someone somewhere will be collecting the cash. :D
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As embarrassing it is to ground something like that it always amazes me with the precision of their maneuvering. They'll proceed with confidence if they have a foot under them. I remember the JFK coming in to Pt. Everglades with 2' under its keel. Another time I met a sub off Fisher's Island. As we communicated he advised me that they were "proceeding at 1.5 kts". I was thoroughly impressed. The bridge crew of the JFK was a little less blase'. They were thoroughly drunk within a short time of getting off on leave.:D
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The Chunnel isn't enough of a conection?:rolleyes:
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

You hold the elevator doors, I'll get the shovel. :cool:
  12. paulgd

paulgd New Member

Captain of nuclear sub, requires new position, only one previous accident!!:p
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

He'll have some miserable meetings coming up, but I doubt it will affect his career. That's the whole reason for sea trials. A million things could have caused it from a compass or sonar being off a bit to whatever. Still it would have been better if it weren't in front of people's home doors.:eek:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

K1W1 and myself used to work for an ex nuke-sub engineer who was skipper on various 'Brave Goose/Katalina/Leander G' boats. My bloody sister-in-law, who was a house keeper for the Boss, casualy asked the Boss one day what qualifications John had? Nobody had even thought to look into it.

I mean, if you can drive a nuke sub around the world without coming up for a breath, you must be quite good at your job, right? Nope, poor John had to go and get a bit of paper to prove he was competent.

Oh the humility of it all.
  15. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Don't think engineers drive them, or even serve bridge watches for that matter. They're the ones the Captain is talking to when he says, "Dam it Scotty I need more power! Give me all she's got and give it to me now!", or something like that.
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Amateurs! Fully loaded supertankers go into Long Beach every day with far less than a foot beneath the keel with no drama or the need to get drunk afterwards.
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well, you don't expect him to be subject to the same "justice" system his own kind impose do you? Geez, I guess you also object to sharia law replacing common law in the UK.

Come to think of it, maybe they should let him out on parole for a couple of days in Woking.

Back to the subject of the thread though, I hope they put enough money aside to do some work on the exhaust system and engine of the donk on that boat. It looks like the water separator does a great job as a steam generator and it certainly makes the boat and its problems visible to the world from a great distance. The engine itself seems to have a lube oil consumption problem too, or it's overloaded. Doesn't the RN know that diesel exhausts don't have to look like superheater vents or the products of clapped out truck engines?
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

True, but the thought of grounding the JFK in the middle of Pt. Everglades during Navy Week (lots of press) could raise a few beads of sweat. Plus it's a good excuse to start the week off right (drunk).:D
  19. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

UK sub grounding

Don't forget that British construction is usually questionable in it's functionality, Canada bought a couple of their subs and was lucky they even got across the chuck to Canada, poor construction, fires etc..have not heard of the final restoration dollars yet and who could ever forget "Lucas electric" lol...
  20. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

'Trident Submarine For Sale---Pre-Disastered--British-Flagged--New rudder & bottom paint--FSBO due to change in plans---Great Buy for an Astute Buyer'