Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Yacht Storage

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ArielM, Oct 4, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I am looking at purchasing a mid 80s hatteras which has apparently been stored out of water for several years. This is obviously a big concern to me due to the fact that many items might need replacement. What are some things i need to look for. Will the engines need to be overhauled or can i just refill fluids and start it up? is it really hard on the hull to be supported by jack stands for that length of time? another big concern i have is all shaft packings and through hulls will be dried out and need replacing. Any info on a boat stored out of water for that length of time would be great.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There could be any number of things wrong with the boat and it's machinery after a layup of years.

The problems you encounter will be directly proportional to the amount of care, fore thought and preventative measures taken at time of layup.

The engines might be ok but then again there might be a few bad valves and rusted cylinders if the conditions were right for a bit of thermal action through the open valves.

A full inspection of all systems should be carried out, if the Owner isn't up for this make sure you have a clause in your contract that protects or at least limits your exposure to major problems.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The deal must be conditioned on a satisfactory sea trial and survey and that sea trial needs to be an entire day of running, not a quick scoot. After a full day of running have it surveyed. You should have a good idea of what you're investing in then. K1W1 gave a start to the list of possibles, but every system on the boat is subject to problems from metal corroding to rubber drying to mice eating through wires. You're also right to worry about the jackstands. If it's not properly supported serious problems can arise. Boats on stands are supported only there. Look very carefully at the bottom for sagging and warping. Big boats especially like to have their entire lengths supported (as in the water). This is not to say stay away though. It really depends if it was put up and forgotten or properly taken care of. Even some of the worst can be brought back to life. Just look at the Roamer threads. Some of those were found just laying in the woods. As long as you know what you're getting and it makes sense to you....
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

it woudl help if you'd tell us what size boat and what engines...

as to being on the hard for a few years, I really wouldnt' worry about it since those older hatts have very heavy, solid glass stiff hulls. again, it depends on the models but many of that vintage still had a fairly pronounced keel which makes the hull even stiffer.

that's assuming it was properly blocked obviously.

the price has to be right since every system will be suspect, even after restarted and proven to work. dont' be surprised if things need work / replacement over the first few months from water pump to air con to genset, etc...

all fluids shoud be changed in the engines as well as impellers which are shot by now. fuel in the tanks as well obviously and the lines flushed. at the very least they should be cranked for a while with the stop button pressed just to build oil pressure and lubricate everything before firing.

packing (shafts and rudders) need to be replaced too.

again it all depends on how she was stored but be ready to spend a lot of times chasing issues for a few months.
  5. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

What are the terms and conditions of purchase for this boat? Who will be doing the re-commissioning of the boat? Several years of storage can mean a fair bit of money to get it sea worthy enough for launch and survey. Once a seller spends several thousand to get it to run they usually don't want to allow for anything found on the survey. Also many things will work, or appear to work, for a short while and then fail. After sitting that long anything that moves may have rust or corrosion on a bearing or seal surface that will contribute to a rapid but not immediate failure. You've heard of the 5%-10% cost of owning a yacht rule? Figure on 5% to 10% of the cost of that yacht NEW per year. With a boat that's been laid up for 3 years that money hasn't been put into repairs and maintenance and may well hit in the first year or month.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I wish them good luck with that. The survey will be paid for by the prospective buyer and the launch & survey costs may work themselves into the negotiations, but the buyer has to show the boat to have any chance of selling it. That means sea-trial & survey. Problems found will be negotiated, but to say if I get the boat ready for survey & sea trial you have to buy it no mater what is uncovered makes no sense.
  7. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Oh I agree with you 100%... but I've seen it happen on several occasions. "I just spend $X thousand(s) on that boat - it should be perfect!" Usually the seller was not the boater (widow, kids, etc) and doesn't understand (or doesn't want to) how much can go wrong on a boat and what it can cost. If the seller has this attitude you don't want to waste your money on a survey.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely correct. Buyers, especially in the current market, need to remember in whose pocket the money sits. If a potential buyer walks away the boat may sit for months if not years more. That's money.