Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Anyone remember "Crew finders" Ft. Lauderdale?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Sep 30, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I was just reading the "female capt." thread & remembered someone from long ago.
    His name slips my mind but he ran a company called "Crew Finders" or possibly "Crew Connection" out of Ft. Lauderdale around '86. I had just delivered a yacht in Ft. Laud & decided to stay for my first season (so I met a girl the first night in town:rolleyes: ). In looking for a job & not knowing many people yet, I heard of the company & headed right over. This guy was smooth as can be & naturally I signed up. Being young & dumber than I am today, I paid around five hundred to sign on. I was to be "placed within a month". Nope, never happened & one day, the office was vacant.
    The guy had a british accent & for some reason I'm thinking "laurence" might have been his name. Not exactly sure though.
    I did run into him (and his hot chick) on the beach one day. After his face was purple (from constrictive pressure applied to his neck), he coughed up about $100 out of his pocket & I tossed his credit cards into the water.

I was just curious if anyone had any dealings with crew finders way back in the mid 80's & what ever became of the guy??
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know, but they had an office on 17th street west of US-1. I signed up there, but it was only like $25 or something meaningless in the late 90's. I got one interview through them but it didn't go anywhere. I remember the office being run by just women and didn't see any guys working in there. They were there a few years back, don't think they still exist.
  3. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hmmm, might not be crew finders. I see they are in Ft. Lauderdale now but this guy's office was next to the ICW near a restaurant/bar/club called "Yesterday's" off Sunrise. I highly doubt the guy is involved but I might make a call to wish him well.
    Now I'm thinking it was "Crew Connection".
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Crew Finders was on 17th in '91. $25 got me a day job cleaning the teak on "Carnac" I think it was (Carson's boat) and nothing else. They were good at taking fees and not doing much else. There was another place on US1 toward the airport with a Capt. Ed. I think he was $15 to do nothing. There were (and I'd imagine still are) a mess of agencies, schools, etc. selling dreams down there.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Signed up with them guys in 2004 or so.

$40.00 put me on the list of qualified candidates and I got a few leads:
    Mostly scrubbing decks and hauling anchor chains.

Nothing came out of it, but probably because I was too lazy to follow up.

Got a skipper job from an ad in Warterfront News instead.
    The owner wanted a licensed Mate so he could drive himself without a ticket.
    (Insurance requirement)

Instead we agreed to turn the tables: I would be the Captain, he would be the Mate. :rolleyes:
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't think that's the reason.:cool:
    I've found that this is a business of references & reputations.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have also found that the owners that go to a crewfinding agency usually have a reputation as well.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

;) I heard today of a cap who after finishing out this summer told the owner he was leaving. Asked when he replied 'in an hour'. Sounds like they were not a good fit.:eek:
  9. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

HAH!
    Around '87 or '88, I ran a 68 Roamer down to FL. The owner decided to join us for the ride with his wife and another couple.
    It started the first morning out when the owner & his pal started with things like, "DAVE, FETCH ME A CUP OF COFFEE". The third day his wife said "listen, our old captain used to make the beds for us & I'm tired of doing it". I had already had it & I replied "perhaps that is why he is your old captain" & then educated them on my duties & about the possibility of hiring a cabin steward.
    The rest of the trip was a nightmare. The owner tried to help once on the trip by topping off the fuel tank with water one night in Belle Haven. I was blamed for that one the rest of the trip.
    Whe arrived at the Brazilian Docks in Palm beach & after a very quick courtesy rinse of the boat, I walked off with my bags.
  10. 84far

84far Senior Member

Dave,

I usually diagnose myself with selective hearing, or start asking them for the same thing... coffees :D. Those types of owner just don't do themselves favours. Cheers

Far
  11. Crew Finders is still open on 17th Street just east of Rt 1, and has been owned by Linda Turner since the beginning. Placement fees have always been paid by the boat owner along with a reasonable paperwork fee paid by job hunters.
    Crew Unlimted was started by Capt Eddie and run by him until he had health problems, and one of his assitants, by the name of Ami, took over the business. She is still open and now also doing yacht charters.
    Both of these companies placed a lot of crew over the years, especially for stews and deck positions, but they must have had thousands of job seekers that never found work through them also.
  12. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Owner " Dave, fetch me a cup of Coffee"

Dave " Would you like a cup of coffee?"

Owner " Yes"

Dave " get me one while your up..."

Too bad I never think of these replies when I need them, only a day later !