Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

Sad News

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by GrahamF, Sep 27, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

I got a call this morning from a friend in France informing me of an accident that happened in Monaco. A crew member of S/Y Burrasca has died in a tragic accident. From what i understand S/Y Burrasca was at anchor off Monaco when the tender hit a 30 meter yacht that was at anchor. The incident happened at night. The Tender driver was on his way back to the boat when the accident happened. From what i was told the body is still missing.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Tenders are often operated by underqualified crew. Running a boat at night takes concentration and experience. Hopefully a lesson will be learned. In the mean time, condolances to the friends, family and fellow crew mates.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Didn't something like that happen to "Man of Steel's" tender? Running at night going back to the yacht and hit an outcrop at high speed here in the Caribbean...
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Coconuts often fall from trees in windy weather. Driving a car in fog takes concentration and experience.

Maybe the lesson will be to separate homilies from actual events and their causes.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

these lessons will never be learned...

the Man of Steel tender accident happened at Staniel Cay, they hit the rocky shore of Big Majors at night... the rocks still carried the scars a few weeks later but that didn't stop many big tenders from flying thru into the anchorage at night...
  6. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

There is an article in the Dockwalk online. But the story they are telling is a bit different from what actually happened so i was told.
  7. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

At least in motorcycling, it's been observed many times that in "accidents per mile traveled" figure, a mile from the home to a local mall abd back is times more dangerous then one of the miles of a long-range highway trip. Psychology: "I'll be there in a minute, so can probably skip some buckling up". By the same logic, I wouldn't be surprised that short-range tender runs are at the top of "accidents per mile" score.

Besides, crowded ports and marinas are a dangerous enviroment where more stuff could *just happen*.

Doesnt mean it makes the loss of life any less sad:(
  8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

S/Y Burrasca left Monaco yesterday, headed for Italy, their home port is there. Seems strange not to wait for the authorities.