Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for JetForums

Coastwise registry

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt Fred, Sep 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I current boat is documented for pleasure and I would like to add Coastwise to the documentation so I can use the vessel for six pak charters. There is no ship mortgage involved. Is this a straight forward process where I fill out the CG form to request Coastwise be added or do I have to trace the vessel ownership back to the original builder? In other words is this something I can do myself or do I need a documentation service.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I don't think that affects you as a 6 packer. Leastwise I've never heard of it being enforced. I believe the documentation you seek is to carry more than 6 pax. Maybe Marmot or K1W1 will pop in with the relevant section.
  3. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

I think you are fine as long as the boat is US built; I have never heard of having a 6 pack boat that is documented with an endorsement for coastwise registry. An inspected boat yes, but not a "Uninspected Passenger Vessel".

.......Perhaps I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time......
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Since the boat is already documented, all you have to do is send in your application for an amended document and the fee. You can start this online.

Your operators license status has zilch to do with the documentation.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Marmot, I've been waiting for your appearance here. I read the Jones act statute on this until my mind fell asleep. It seems to cover this, but not really, through omission although I could easily be wrong. I understand that a coastwise documentation can be obtained, but is it necessary for a vessel carrying less than 6 paying passengers fishing (returning to the same port; not acting as a ferry)? My experience tells me no, but maybe I was hanging around the wrong boats.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

afaik you dont need to change your doc to run charters on non inspected vessels
  7. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Gentlemen: Thanks for the input and clarification. I was reading too much into the act. Fred
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Enjoy.