Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Inquiring on how to get yacht USCG certified

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by dawgmode, Sep 21, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dawgmode

dawgmode New Member

Hello,

Ive recently aquired a 1989 63' Viking MY (Made by Gulstar). Im looking to get it certified but I have one major issue. The USCG requires the scantling drawings for the vessel. The problem is Viking has told me they do not have the drawings for this vessel due to its age. So my question is what do I do from this point?
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

You might try Lazzara who were Gulfstar previously and who did the original design & build.
    They are in Tampa, FL.
  3. dawgmode

dawgmode New Member

I spoke with Lazzara and they informed me that they cant help me with this situation.

Is there any other way around having to get scatling drawings for the vessel to complete the process?
  4. Zeke

Zeke Member

I had to do this recently and had to hire a naval architect to shoot offsets and prepare new drawings.

But I only had to do this for coastwise registry and because the vessel was over 79'. Why would you need this for your boat?
  5. dawgmode

dawgmode New Member

I would like to beable to take around 30 people on charters.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

So you want to operate a passenger vessel on an international voyage?

Subchapter T comes to mind as well as a load of SOLAS and IMO requirements, how much have you looked into this venture?
  7. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I have heard that in most cases it is simply not practical to bring an older vessel up to the modern standards for an inspected passenger vessel. Certain design requirements such as watertight compartments with no penetrations fore and aft can be extremely costly to retrofit. On a conversion to an inspected vessel nothing is grandfathered in. This is true even if you can find a sister boat that is currently operating as an inspected vessel. A friend of mine decided to build a new boat rather than try to refit his current charter boat (6 pack). This is probably the case here too.
  8. dawgmode

dawgmode New Member

No we would only be operating in the East River, New York
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Oh, sorry, saw the Bahamas location and went from there. I think jhall has pointed toward the deal breakers.

Boats and Harbors is usually full of already certificated vessels at fire sale prices from others who had the same dream.