Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

This Can't Be a Good Design

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by lwrandall, Sep 19, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

I was trolling through Youtube and I saw this video of a sea trial of a new Symbol yachtfish.

Nothing like having a free swimming pool with your new boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_PkhCUw9Lw&sns=em

Watch to the end to see how much water went into deck hatches.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

This gives new meaning to a wet ride...
  3. Surely the project was a conversion from a submarine to an yacht, isn't it? :confused:
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The black cloud at the start was a nice touch. The awash windsshield too. And all this was in calm water. Undoubtedly converts to a submarine in rough seas.:eek: That's one hull I doubt anyone will take delivery on. Maybe it will make a good planter box outside corporate.:rolleyes:
  5. captainviv

captainviv Member

you dont need the live wells , just leave your bait on the back deck :D

surely after this , it will be back to the drawing board to rectify the "side" scuppers. nice enough boat though ...
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Symbol

Sometime ago there was a viscous post regarding Symbol from an Aussie owner who set up a web site for the purpose of warning others about the boats.
    This sort of example is no help for Symbol either. What happened to "Tank Testing?"
    Seems like a 70' foot boat going by the size of cockpit and beam, so a tank test would have been worthwhile.
    I like the initial commentary on the video..."can we lighten the bow somehow!"
    then later "at least all this (water) will add some weight at the back!"
    Hope Jack Sarin is not part of this one.
  7. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I am not so sure about that. Cockpit kind of looks like an afterthought to me. The rest of the boat, in my opinion, does not look all that great either if you watch the rest of the sea trial videos.

Not sure if any of the problems were fixed. He has not posted any new videos for quite awhile. I sent an email and am hoping to hear something back.
  8. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Please let us know if you get a response.
  9. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Will do. As soon as I get something, I will let the forum know.
  10. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

He may have a new career considering he used YouTube to showcase his sea-trial!
    If I were the client I would expect my reports to be for private viewing until it was time to "promote" the results of a sea trial.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

why the heck would have all the openings on the side of the cockpit and not at the stern! as stupid as it gets but not that surprising... we've all seen dozens of design flaws on boats...
  12. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

We don't usually get videos of them though:)
  13. Hattsoff

Hattsoff Member

Hmmm, that's an interesting video. I wonder if it was posted by a disgruntled employee? Seems odd that this would surface on YouTube. Should we give them the benefit of the doubt? It is a sea trial and perhaps they will correct this. (Well, they better or no one in their right mind will buy it!)

It also (at least to me) comes across as unprofessional which I think Kafue already pointed out.
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

All that showing up on Youtube is highly questionable. I mean, who in their right mind would want that kind of footage out there?
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Obviously it wasn't posted by a friend.
    When the bow sinks and the stern sinks it time to pull out the sawzall and forget she existed.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is the YF Link, http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/symbol-yacht/12740-symbol-yachts.html those who are interested in finding the Posters site can easily get it on google use symbol yachts and beware in your search string.

You can also find another similar website refuting almost everything that the OP has claimed.
  17. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

Looks like they added a cockpit to an existing design, adding flotation to the stern which pushes the the bow down at speed. Then in another brilliant move put rows of scuppers down low and forward in the cockpit. At least they could have angled the sides of the scuppers so water goes out not in.

I guess you could seal up the scuppers, put smaller engines in it and have a nice trawler.....

Hard to believe this kind of mistake can be made at this level of boat building.

We have seen many Carvers with add-on cockpits. Sometimes the running gear is four or five feet forward of the transom in it's original location. We have a 44 in the yard right now that is really a 39.

I am not a fan of add-on cockpits. Seems to me like those should be designed in from the beginning or left off.
  18. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

19. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

While I am sure that the Nordhavn 75EYF is seakindly, I am sorry to say that IMHO it is just not very kind to the eye. Granted, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but normally I drool over the lines of big sportfish. Due to the reputation of Nordhavn that boat is probably very good but I still can't help thinking that the designers could have made it more visually appealing.
  20. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Look at all the junk floating the bilge areas. Bags, rags, bits and pieces. I can just hear them now at the dock. "Hey we are only going on a sea trail, why would be need the bilge pumps clog free? I mean it's not like the boat is going to be taking on water underway or anything."

How about that conversation in the lower helm at :46!? "What's up front that we could lighten up the front? All though I know we're going to add weight to the back."
    Lighten up the front, add weight to the back? The scuppers are almost underwater as it is ( at least at that speed) and this is just a sea trail. With I'd bet, not even full tanks and certainly no owners gear on board. I mean the boats not going to get any lighter for crying out loud.

I can understand having side scuppers for such a large cockpit in case it gets pooped in a sea. But it shouldn't take a large brain trust to figure out their proper location ahead of time. Plus the need for large, low and properly back stopped transom scuppers.

How about the voice at 1:03 "Shame the water tight hatches aren't closed." Of course, why would you bother to do that on a sea trail?

At 4:29 you can see that the salt water has more than likely cascaded down right on the two new Headhunter pumps. Who wants to bet those get changed out before it sells?

Note the line trailing off the aft on the stbd side starting at at 3:26.

Hell, look at the way the bow wave rolls right up the sides of the boat in the running video. No wonder it's a wet boat. I pity the crew/owners who have to be constantly washing down every inch of that boat even after an hour or two run on a calm day.

At times these guys sound almost clueless. Very sad and telling video about goes on in parts of this industry year after year.

And in the end some poor person is going to end up with this abortion.